logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2009 19:56:43(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

R.S.S has yet again come up with some great photos, this time showing the building of the extension to Whaley Lane. As RSS has pointed out previously, Whaley Lane used to run straight across the railway tracks at the bottom of the hill, but the road was altered with a sharp bend to take it right to join up with Reservoir Road, and then under the bridge.

These photos from RSS show the alterations just before work starts, and while it is in progress.

I had always thought that there were cottages at the bottom of Whaley Lane which were knocked down for this extension, but they are clearly not there in these pictures. When I had another look at Robert and Pamela pierce's book 'Whaley Bridge in old picture postcards'  I read that ' in 1894, a row of terraced cottages on Reservoir Road was demolished' allowing this extension to be built.  I guess the cottages are just out of sight in these photos.

I have also reattached another of RSS's photos which shows the bridge at the bottom of Reservoir Road. This gives a glimpse of the cottages that may have been demolished, and also shows the pavement on the left, along with its steep drop to the road, that would have been removed and levelled out during the work.

All we need now is a photo of the cottages which were demolished !

Fantastic photos RSS.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 16 July 2009 20:05:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
rss_before_extension_lowres.jpg
rss_during_extension_lowres_1.jpg
rss_during_extension_lowres_2.jpg
rss_bot_whaley_lane_lowres.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Fedup  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2009 20:15:13(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What superb photos. Many thanks R.S-S and you too JonG.
Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2009 21:30:23(UTC)
Gnatalee

Fab photos R.S-S !   Very interesting - especially with a steam train whizzing through - at least it looks like it is moving at great speed !!

Looking at the men who seem to be doing the digging-out, it makes you wonder how long it took to do the work - no need to put cones out and enforce a 30 mph speed limit then !!

Gnats

Edited by user 16 July 2009 21:31:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2009 17:16:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thank you once again for your kind help Jon.

In those olden days before the extension to Whaley Lane the traffic went straight across the railway lines and down the Jodrell Approach and on to Market Street. When I say traffic, and you will see from the photos, I mean horse and cart transport.
I am fairly sure that Whaley Lane must have been a turnpike road and traffic coming up from Whaley would have to pay a toll to travel on the road.
The first house on Whaley Lane, the one that was/is closest to the railway, bears all the hallmarks of being a Toll House.
Can any of the ‘Friends of Whaley Station’ confirm this for us?

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2009 18:00:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Everybody,

I have made contact with Cllr JonG about a small point and I am sure he will not mind if I give it a public airing.
He entitled this topic ‘The Extension to Jam Butty Hill (Whaley Lane)'.

Whaley has Whaley Lane and it has always been known simply to Whaley folk as ‘The Lane’
Similarly we in Horwich End had our own ‘Lane’ as in Elnor Lane.
“Blimey I’ve had a few pints and I’m dreading the walk back up the Lane”. That type of thing.

Whaley Lane has never been known as Jam Butty Hill.

This term was introduced in about 1972 with the construction of the Meadowfield site and the steep hill that goes up to join the main road at Stoneheads.
At that time all the people that moved into the new houses were ‘outsiders’. Whaley people could not afford such expensive houses and so the old residents, perhaps a little envious, decided that the only possible way that these ‘immigrants’ could afford them was that they had to go without some of life’s essentials. Such as food. The only thing they could possibly buy, after paying their mortgages, was bread and jam they thought. Hence Jam Butty Hill; nothing at all to do with Whaley Lane.

R. S-S

Jake  
#6 Posted : 21 July 2009 19:21:50(UTC)

Groups: Guest

The phrase I think was plagiarized from Ken Dodd and the "Jam Butty Mines in Knotty Ash" but the meaning is just as R. S-S says I worked with Ken back in the late sixties at the Playhouse Theatre in Liverpool.

Totally useless information but it brings back happy memories for me.

Thanks R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 21 July 2009 19:51:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Ah Jake,

Doddy: one of my heroes.

This explains all the comic masterpieces you have entertained us with.

When you worked with the great Doddy were you perchance one of his Diddy Men? I suspect you were.

I shall go straight to You Tube and see if I can recognise you with Ken. I am almost certain I can see you already. I will report back later.

R. S-S

By the way Jake now that I know you have worked with the great man I think it may be in order to resurrect ‘King Jake’ when addressing you; please take note everyone.
And, My Lord, it is not advisable to follow the great man’s lead and bury your expenses money in the garden.
Bob Bowker  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2009 16:26:37(UTC)
Bob Bowker

With the current financial sheenanigins there might be a few of us on Whaley Lane on Jam Butties now. 

When I was a nipper, hardship was considered living on bread and dripping. I loved it, especially with the brown gravy bits in it. (Someone is bound to say I was lucky)

I used to work in Bristol, and there was a Pub near to the factory that we would go in sometimes by way of a change from the canteen. They used to serve hot roast beef sandwiches with the option of butter or dripping. Well I obviously went for the latter. They were absolutely heaven. Reminds me that I had some great 'Stottie cakes' in Newcastle with peas pudding and ham hock on. This is probably why I'm not 12 stone.

High Peak Harry  
#9 Posted : 23 July 2009 17:44:36(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I used to go to the butchers on the way home from school for a sheep's head and I said ' Mum says can you leave the legs on?'
Bob Bowker  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2009 13:12:35(UTC)
Bob Bowker

I used to be a Butcher and when people came in and asked 'Have you got a sheep's head?', the stock answer used to be ' No it's just the way I part my hair'.

'Sheep's head? Can you leave the eyes in to see me through the week?.'

' Have you got Pig's feet?' 'No it's just the way I walk.'

One day a bloke came in and asked the boss if he could split a fiver. The boss put it on the block and halved it with a cleaver and gave it back to the guy. His face was priceless.

When the boss gave me my wages on a Friday night, he would say either 'Stay out of the Gin Palaces lad,' or 'Stay clear of slow horses and fast women.' How I should have listened.

Happy days

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 24 July 2009 19:02:11(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Bob,

A bit away from the butchers but another of the village shops, in actual fact the Post Office.

I can tell this tale because it happened a long time ago but no names will be given.
Well they will but you will see what I mean and this will be of special interest to George who is writing a book about amusing incidents at work.

The Postmaster was well known as a type of Victor Meldrew character, very grumpy to put it mildly.
Well one day a bloke comes in to buy a dog licence. They used to be seven shillings and sixpence as I am sure you can remember Bob.

The dog owner asks for a dog licence and ‘Victor’ says abruptly: “Name?”
The dog owner says: “Prince.”
Victor says even more abruptly: “Not the dog’s name, stupid, your name.”
The dog owner says: “My name’s Billy Prince and my dog is called Old Shep now can I have a licence please?

This is getting me down now I’m off out for a pint of Green Cream.

See you later Bob.

R. S-S

CllrJonG  
#12 Posted : 07 August 2009 19:03:28(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

R.S.S has sent me yet another wonderful picture, this time showing the bottom of Whaley lane looking up the hill during the extension works.

I'va also attached a previous picture, as you can see one particular chap who appears in both and is stood in an identical position - almost as if they wheel him round as a background prop.

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
rss_during_extension_lowres_1.jpg
rss Extension to Whaley Lane_lowres.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 09 May 2012 16:00:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

This is bringing up an old topic but it may be re-read or newly read by some or possibly by no one at all.

If you read Chairman Jon’s previous post on this thread you will see he had reproduced an old photo that I sent him some time ago.
The last photo shows the start of the works to lengthen Whaley Lane so that the road could go under the new railway bridge as it does now.
In the way were three cottages and you can see the steps that used to lead up to them. I don’t know what the row of cottages were called but I am sure Gnatalee will find out for us.
In those days the cottages weren’t compulsory purchased as they would be today but they were bought by the Contractor engaged to carry out the works.
The Contractor was David Drinkwater and I think he is in Jon’s last photo I refer to the man with the long beard.
David Drinkwater did a lot of work around Whaley and in the Goyt Valley.
Does anyone have any information about him; you would assume that he was one of the original Drinkwaters that now trade off Canal Street.

Anyway I have found an old and badly damaged photo of the level crossing showing the horse and carts waiting for the supplies.

Apologies for the quality.

R. S-S

shallcross  
#14 Posted : 10 May 2012 09:44:38(UTC)
shallcross

RSS I have this picture as well and I was told that the Chap on the right was The Coachman & Landau from Errwood Hall.

Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 10 May 2012 13:13:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

An extract from John Warren’s Diary which shows that the level crossing must have remained in place for at least 30 years after the line to Buxton was opened. The new line was opened in 1863.

R. S-S

1893 Dec 23 THE LEVEL CROSSINGS.   

At last the question of providing a subway to the railway platform has assumed a practical shape.   

Mr David Drinkwater has purchased the   three cottages on the south side of the railway bridge, and he has commenced to pull them down. The work of making the new road is to be proceeded with at once.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 10 May 2012 14:13:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

And from the Buxton Advertiser

17 February 1894

THE NEW ROAD TO THE RAILWAY STATION.   

On Thursday, a gang of labourers were set to work for the purpose of removing the soil facing the houses on the side of the down platform.   

This is preliminary in the construction of the new road.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#17 Posted : 10 May 2012 22:29:14(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hello all

Regarding Post #13 and the name of the three cottages which were demolished. I have had a look on Ancestry at the 1891 census and there are three properties listed, followed by the Joddrell Arms Hotel. I am not sure whether it is feasible that these three cottages are the ones talked about in the post BUT one of them houses a Frederick James Stones who appears to be in an occupation (which I can't quite decipher) with the L & N W Ry. Co, the next is occupied by John William Bowden and his family, and he is the Station Master. The third is occupied by Mary Ann Johnson (a widow living on her own means), her two grandaughters and two boarders. Unfortunately, I am unable to ascertain the name of the properties as they appear to be named WhaleyB*** - it looks like Whaley Bridge to me, but that doesn't quite make sense.

On Find My Past website, these same three families are given as living at "Spring Bank".

It would be interesting to hear whether folks feel it is feasible that these cottages mentioned on Ancestry are the ones which were demolished.

What do you reckon?

Gnats

Edited by user 10 May 2012 22:34:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 11 May 2012 15:31:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Gnatalee,

I think you have probably got it. There was a place in Whaley Bridge called simply Whaley Bridge according to old records. But I can’t turn up the name of the cottages from anything I have here.

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#19 Posted : 11 May 2012 18:30:05(UTC)
G. Jackson

The ex-church on Whaley Lane just before Orchard Road was called Spring Bank Church.

G.J.

Norm  
#20 Posted : 13 May 2012 10:41:47(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

shallcross wrote:

RSS I have this picture as well and I was told that the Chap on the right was The Coachman & Landau from Errwood Hall.

Shallcross, is your picture in a better state? I ask because R.S-S has asked me to repair it but I think some bits are beyond help.

After further conversation with Robert he tells me that Shallcross's version is probably identical, still worth an ask just in case.

Norm

Edited by user 13 May 2012 14:01:04(UTC)  | Reason: Added last line