logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2009 17:46:16(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hello friends !

I apologise as this is a more personal photograph (not of me I might add) but I just wondered if anyone could confirm where it was taken.  I suspect it was taken on the corner of  Wharf Road / Market Street -  before the bridge over Wharf Road - but then again I could be wrong !!

The lady is Edith Alice Brooks (my G.Grandma)  who lived in Wharf Road - sorry, don't know the name of the dog !!!!  (I know that is very lax of me ! ).

Another question, while we're talking locations - and in particular Wharf Road,- there was a time when Whaley Bridge Manufacturing Company had premises on the road which was first on the left when you entered Wharf Road.  Can anyone tell me when Whaley Bridge Manufacturing Company closed?  I notice their factory in Wheatsheaf Road is long gone.

Thanks in advance (and with fingers crossed !)

Gnats

File Attachment(s):
Lal and dog.JPG (951kb) downloaded 229 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2009 19:08:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good evening Gnats,

Another damn fine photo and what memories it brings back; it is exactly where you say.

I don’t know either of the ladies but the one standing is obtaining some of Cecil Turner’s wares through his kiosk. I hope she wasn’t buying any loose biscuits in a bag, they were always damp. He had a café in the shop that you entered from off Wharf Road. We would buy those biscuits and hold them out flat with our fingers by the edge and see whose fell in half first. You didn’t have long to wait. There was no sell by dates in those days but Ces’s would have failed that test. Either that or he kept them somewhere very damp.

The lady standing would have been served by summoning Ces by means of a bell push at the side of the kiosk window. I can’t make my mind up from your photo whether she is actually pressing the bell or handing over some money.

Much fun was to be had by pressing the bell and running round the side and into the café. Ces was always furious and I rather suspect he knew it was the lad who had just entered his café but he kept his temper in check as he did not want to lose a sale.

I think the little boy who is holding the scales to stop them falling over is George I think but we need his confirmation.

R. S-S
george  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2009 10:11:03(UTC)
george

Morning all

Very interesting photo Gnats, it brings back memories, can anyone date it?

No, RS-S it wasn't me on the scales.I would probably save the money for when I wanted to spend a penny.

I am going to be tied up for a few days and I have an earlier photo showing "Turnersl" will post it in due course. 

Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2009 19:53:20(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thank you R S-S and George 

I had an idea it was around the Wharf Road area as I vaguely remember something like that - a little "hatch" window, but I just wasn't sure and I certainly wouldn't have known the name of the owner. I don't remember the cafe at all !

I reckon it was taken late 40's or possibly early 50's, although I can't be sure.

Gnats

Edited by user 30 July 2009 19:54:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2009 16:17:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Afternoon Gnatalee,

You enquired about the Wharf Road area; here is a photo of what you would see when you went under the bridge. That’s if you could avoid any trains that fell off the bridge as one did once.
Anybody any ideas what the stone circular structure is?
Keep the replies in good taste please.

Marvellous street lamp by the way.

R. S-S

Wharf Road by you.

Arfur Mow  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2009 19:26:27(UTC)
Arfur Mow

If I'm not mistaken that is Poet's Corner latterly used by local dignitaries.
george  
#7 Posted : 10 August 2009 19:26:57(UTC)
george

Evening all

Another photo of Market Street showing Turners and Mortens butchers. Any idea what date it is and whose car?

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2009 09:02:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning to you George,

I have just read your very, very interesting post.

The task you pose is somewhat difficult as I can see no photograph that will enable me to enter your competition.

I will, however, hazard a guess; and I suppose it will be as good as any you get.

By the way, George, being as this competition is almost a shot in the dark, may we enquire as to the prize on offer? I imagine it to be substantial and valuable. As you mention a car could that be the prize on offer? I hope so.

So here we go: I would tentatively put your photo in the 1950’s and the car may belong to Len Plant.

On the other hand it could quite as easily be the getaway car for the Councillors if the photo was taken on a Thursday evening earlier this year.

I think other contributors should follow your very fine example and put more competitions on here.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2009 09:48:03(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
R. S-S

What a wonderful photograph. One of the best quality images I have seen on this site.

Round structure - my guess would be it protects an open shaft, or maybe the famous Whaley Wall of Death.

RB
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
george  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2009 09:49:34(UTC)
george

Good morning All

The real competition is to guess where the photo is. I wish I knew! I have searched my computer and managed to find it. I will now have another go at attaching it.  The questions remain the same, What date is it and whose car is it?

george 

File Attachment(s):
scan0001.jpg (1,171kb) downloaded 175 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 11 August 2009 10:00:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A much better effort this time, George,

I shall stick to my original guess of 1950’s and the car belonged to Leonard Plant, Headley’s Dad.

Where can I pick the prize up?
Will I need a suitcase for the money or will I be able to drive it away?

R. S-S
george  
#12 Posted : 11 August 2009 11:37:11(UTC)
george

Hi

R S-S I have just been hoovering the lounge and the hoover became jammed. Guess what? I found the photo from last night. I hve put sticky tape oner the leak so it shouldn't happen again.

I am giving other people opportunity to respond on the photo.

george

Frankie  
#13 Posted : 12 August 2009 09:16:03(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Great photo George.Well worth waiting for.Looking forward to more.

Frankie.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 12 August 2009 09:51:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Morning Frankie,

I agree it is an excellent photo but George was not just looking for praise about his photographic collection or prowess he actually set us a testing competition.

Up to now I appear to be the only one taking part in the competition and if the prize (a car I believe) goes to the closest answer I shall be driving around in a new set of wheels very shortly. It is standard practice in these sort of competitions that the car comes with a years tax an insurance and I am sure George will not let us down in that respect.

So come on Frankie let’s have your best guess and if we are the only ones to compete we could even share the prize. Either we could take turns at driving the car on a weekly basis or we could sell it and divide the loot.

Hey and don’t forget Frankie my own guess was done blind while the photo was still at rest in the dust in George’s Hoover bag. So you’ve not much to beat.

R. S-S

Bob Bowker  
#15 Posted : 12 August 2009 11:19:23(UTC)
Bob Bowker

What, no tank full of petrol???

Now that would be a prize

Frankie  
#16 Posted : 12 August 2009 13:22:26(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

R.S-S.

The car looks like an Austin ten. Plant's shop on Market street did not exist so why would it belong to L. Plant.  If I  could  zoom into the photo I may have found out the expiry date of the tax disc and come up with an approx date of the photo and then I would have won the prize which I of course would have gone 50-50 with your good self. All I can say is the vehicle excise licence was issued in Whaley Bridge thats all I can make out.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#17 Posted : 12 August 2009 14:51:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello once again Frankie,

I think you and I are definitely on track to win George’s car. I see Bob Bowker has entered the discussion but no guesses from Bob and anyway he’s concerned about the price of petrol.
No I feel sure George will be presenting us with a car so magnificent that the price of petrol will not concern us even if it will only manage six miles to the gallon.

As for Mr Plant’s parking; well all I can say is that if you owned a shop you wouldn’t want to park directly in front of it thereby obscuring your shop from other automobiles that may be passing and looking for a shop just such as yours. So you would probably park it somewhere else and where better than on the other side of the road.

I can feel the steering wheel already Frankie. I wonder if George would like to present the keys to us at tomorrow night’s Council meeting. I certainly hope so.

R. S-S

WB0400B Plants WB by you.

RockBanker  
#18 Posted : 12 August 2009 15:05:08(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Well, R-SS, you continue to amaze me with your photographs. Still waiting for the revelation about the cylindrical structure on Wharf Road though.

Cheers

RB

Edited by user 12 August 2009 15:12:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 12 August 2009 15:42:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon RB,

I think I had better jump in here quickly; I asked if anyone knew what the round stone structure was around Wharf Road.

I am not, repeat NOT, running a competition like George’s. There will be no prize for the correct guess and anyway George is a multi millionaire whereas I am frugally just about making ends meet. If I win the car with my friend Frankie we may have to offload it in order to raise some much needed cash for ourselves.
We certainly won’t be going to the Buxton Road Tea Rooms with it though.

No my competition is purely for the pleasure of it. That’s why only your good self has shown the slightest interest up to now.
I notice you did rather overstep the mark and had 2 guesses but I suppose I did not put a limit on the number of entries.
Your second guess I found a little strange. The famous Whaley Wall of Death has always been a part of Whaley Bridge Cricket Club. It is there to this day and that is how they achieved lottery funding by being a dual purpose club: cricket and riding the wall of death. It’s up there alright; it just takes a bit of finding.

I shall run the competition a little while longer and see what is forthcoming. Undoubtedly nothing. Ah well it passes the time I suppose.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#20 Posted : 12 August 2009 16:12:02(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good afternoon R. S.S.

I would like to be an entrant in your competition but, not being from Whaley, you have to realise I am clutching at straws here ! 

Here goes - could the circular building on Wharf Road be a sentry box/pill box during or left over from WWII? I seem to remember being told that the bridge/railway had a guard on it at night during the War.

Well that's my contribution - any more? 

Gnats

Edited by user 12 August 2009 16:14:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified