logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
george  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2009 15:31:33(UTC)
george

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I am hopeing to post some photos taken at the far end of Errwood Reservoir before the reservoir was made.

The first two or three show the old "Pack Horse" bridge which was dismantled and later rebuild higher up the valley. One showing the new ((present road) with parts of the old road (now under water) on it's way to the Pack Horse bridge. Another taken from the far end of the reservoir showing the area of the position of the bridge as it is filling up with water.

There were buildings to the right of the bridge looking up stream, I can't remember what they were, can any one tell us or better still has any photos of them. Also were there any more bridges in the area?

george 

File Attachment(s):
00014 WBTC0001.jpg (734kb) downloaded 186 time(s).
scan00015.jpg (1,388kb) downloaded 170 time(s).
scan0020.jpg (454kb) downloaded 172 time(s).
scan0021.jpg (457kb) downloaded 151 time(s).
scan0022.jpg (420kb) downloaded 160 time(s).
george attached the following image(s):
scan0024.jpg
Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2009 15:53:04(UTC)
Gnatalee

Nice photos George. I am not familiar with this area at all well, although I do remember going to Erwood Hall (when it was pretty derelict). Interesting to see what was there before the reservoir. Any ideas how old the original bridge was?

Gnats

george  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2009 16:09:54(UTC)
george

The first photo on the posting which was under the heading Pack Horse Bridge I posted in error.

I was intending to use this as a new posting under the heading of Mechanics Clock together with the following text.

I see the Mechanics clock seems to be malfunctioning, this was happening over 30 years ago. I cut this out of the Buxton Advertiser  I hope you will enjoy the witty comments, and it will bring back memories for some people of some of the old counsellors from the past.

Can someone put this right?

Thank you,

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 24 October 2009 18:13:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello George,

Now you are talking about my favourite historical place: The Goyt Valley its people and buildings, the gunpowder works, the lost farms and views and last but not least Errwood Hall.

A massive subject and one I hope everybody will get involved with and let’s have a sensible discussion and plenty of photos.
This should be very interesting. I hope RB looks in on this one.

Thanks George. Great stuff.

Let’s see what happens.

Jon there was talk of collecting all the old photos in one thread or somewhere they could all be viewed. Has any progress been made?

R. S-S
george  
#5 Posted : 24 October 2009 19:02:58(UTC)
george

Having made mess of attaching photos on post no. one I am trying again to do better.

I have tried to improve no.0020

No 0023 shows the new (present road) with two sections of the old road lower down the valley , the Pack horse Bridge was between them under water.

No. 0025 is looking toward the dam bank as it starts to fill up.

I don't know how old the bridge was Gnats, possibly R S-S may come up with more information.

george

george 

File Attachment(s):
scan0020.jpg (457kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
scan0023.jpg (332kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
scan0025.jpg (278kb) downloaded 126 time(s).
george  
#6 Posted : 24 October 2009 19:04:57(UTC)
george

File Attachment(s):
scan0020.jpg (457kb) downloaded 92 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 25 October 2009 08:35:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good morning, George,

Some great photos there, George and very good of you to put them on here as I think they are possibly unique to yourself.

I’ve got some work to do on this topic because I have some old photos and they need scanning and putting on my computer and then on here and, as you know, things tend not to happen overnight so please stick with me.

Your photo shows two sections of the old road and also shows a section of the road on the far left of the picture which was/is Sandy Lane. The road that comes down from Kettleshulme into the Goyt Valley was always and still is known as The Street but my Sat Nav, yes I know I’ve got one and a car, shows it as The Embridge Causeway. You can Google the Embridge Causeway for some more information, RB.

In the meantime here is a photo of Goyt’s Bridge where you could call at the Café for a drink.

R. S-S

george  
#8 Posted : 25 October 2009 15:26:23(UTC)
george

Hi R S-S,

Very interesting photo, is this the pack horse bridge or was there more than one bridge?

Yes, I took them.

Keep up the good work.

george.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 25 October 2009 16:23:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi George,

There were quite a few bridges in the Goyt Valley.

The one I have posted here is Goyt’s Bridge; famous for the stepping stones and café, before the valley was flooded of course.

As I say I am going to dig them out over the next few days.

That is the photos, obviously not the bridges.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 26 October 2009 21:55:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good evening to you, George,

Here are a couple of photos of Goyts Bridge and the stepping stones now resting below Fernilee Reservoir.

The 1903 postcard was strangely sent from Derby to another address in Derby by Annie Booth.
There is no writing or date on the other postcard with the two men on.

As I said previously there was a café at Goyts Bridge and a fine place it looks as well.

As regards to bridges in the Valley I can think of about seven at the moment and I think I should have photos of most of them.

Have a nice evening George.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#11 Posted : 26 October 2009 22:05:56(UTC)
Gnatalee

Lovely pictures R.S-S - thank you for posting. As always, very interesting.

I am sure I am not alone in saying I learn a lot about the local history of this area from those who are willing to share.

Thanks to everyone who post such interesting pictures

Gnats  

Edited by user 26 October 2009 22:06:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#12 Posted : 27 October 2009 13:45:55(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I couldn't agree more with Gnatalee.  Since joining this forum I have learned a tremendous amount about local history as well as viewing numerous fascinating photographs.  Thank you to all the contributors.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 27 October 2009 14:28:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Mr Parabuild,

I am very pleased that you are interested in our local history; it’s a pity there aren’t more like you.

I have a pretty good collection of photos and such like but others with equally, if not better, collections take the view that these should remain private.
I personally do not hold that view and am happy to put on here anything that I have.

Of course it would not do to hit the forum with a couple of hundred photos all at one go that would be too much for anyone to take in so I put on photos as and when a topic arises that calls for them.

For instance this very topic started by our good friend George has already produced some good photos from George and myself but there must be many others. They will be in old photo albums in houses in Whaley and they need to be brought out for everyone’s benefit and enjoyment.

On this particular historical thread: The Goyt Valley bridges, and I include the whole of The Goyt Valley, there will be thousands of photos knocking around it would be really good if some found there way on here.

How much do you personally know of The Goyt Valley and especially Errwood, Mr Parabuild? It could easily develop into the largest historical thread on here.

R. S-S
barrwalk  
#14 Posted : 27 October 2009 15:55:38(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

The photos are just great. Many people will, like me, find them VERY interesting I am sure. Many thanks for sharing them with us.  I await the next release!           

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 29 October 2009 17:52:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening George,

This is an old photo of the café at Goyt’s Bridge. It looks like it was a splendid place in its day.

I’ll get back to your bridges shortly and then we are on to Errwood Hall itself.
Bet you can’t wait.

R. S-S

Devious  
#16 Posted : 29 October 2009 18:22:09(UTC)
Devious

I understand there is a slide show tonight in Kettleshulme about Whaley and the Goyt Valley, starting at 8pm.

parabuild  
#17 Posted : 29 October 2009 18:48:30(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I am afraid R. S-S I dont know a great deal about the Goyt Valley other than that which is available to read on various web sites.  I did attend a meeting earlier this year of the Furness Local History Society on the topic of local mining.  Errwood Hall and it's private colliery was extensively covered and on that occassion I learned of the presence of the cafe which at one time was run by the wife of the mine manager.   It was particularly interesting therefore to see the latest photographs which help to set the scene.   I cannot hope to contribute to this thread as my only photographs were taken this year and show the hall and valley as they exist today.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 29 October 2009 19:28:11(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well let’s have a look at them then and I might, just might, be able to take you back in time to the same locations.

Let’s see what we can do, Mr Parabuild.

R. S-S
frjamie@talktalk.net  
#19 Posted : 29 October 2009 21:42:08(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Dear RSS and good people !

It is as I have said many times good to see so many pictures  of the past. 

I have recently had  3 pictures re printed of Whaley Bridge going back to 1800, showing
Whaley as it was !

The Goyt Valley has always been a place  where I find comfort, a place to go to to discern, -
to focus, and to get away to be able to think.

The Hall is such a wonderful place, and one has a sense that it was very much like the story of the Thorn Birds, for those who have not seen it then during these Winter months
get the DVD, and you will see what  I mean.

The pictures that I have had re printed are to big to go on a scanner, and so I have thought of a way to show you.

On Friday Dec 11th at 7.30pm  I will be having the Advent Carol service.

Afterwards Mulled Wine and Mince Pies will be served, and for those who enjoy Beer, this will be a chance for you to try Beer from the Brewery from Macclesfield.

Now George no drinking and driving on that scooter of yours !!!!!

I thought this would be a chance for you to see the pictures, and if R S S would be willing to bring some of his pictures along for you to see.

Hope you can make it and not forgetting their will be a collection for Daniels Light during the service, which we do each year.

Posters will be in the Village.

Many thanks

Edited by user 29 October 2009 22:28:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#20 Posted : 29 October 2009 23:14:04(UTC)
parabuild

Man

These photos are from 24th June this year of Fernilee and Errwood Reservoirs and of the hall.   Yes the water and sky were that blue.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1030690.jpg
P1030698.jpg
P1030700.jpg
P1030703.jpg
P1030705.jpg
P1030707(1).jpg
P1030708.jpg