logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2009 20:53:13(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

I have a few pictures  of past-times in Whaley Bridge and have been advised to post them on the forum to see if anyone has any ideas about who is on them and where they are taken. 

So, I am attaching the first one and look forward to hearing any ideas !

Thanks

Gnats

File Attachment(s):
football team 2.jpg (350kb) downloaded 168 time(s).
Pete  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2009 09:02:22(UTC)
Pete

Middle front row is the guy from Only Fools and Horses.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2009 10:02:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good morning to you Gnatalee,

A very interesting photo if I may say. I don’t know if you participated in the last forum under another name but at one time, but just before its demise, I asked if anyone had any photos of the Whaley Bridge football teams. I have never seen that photo before.

There were two teams in the twin cities of Whaley Bridge and Horwich End: Whaley played at Hog’s Yard which was later to become King Jake’s corner shop and Horwich End played at the Orchard which later became the site of the bale sheds at Botany Works.

The photograph you have submitted is taken outside the Buxton Road Tea Rooms which is opposite the public house which we have to refer to as The Male Hen because the forum will not permit use of its correct name for fear of causing offence.
The Buxton Road Tea Rooms had a sign on the roof saying “For Hire” so I can only imagine it was there that a celebration of a successful season was taking place.
The Buxton Road Tea Rooms are now the workshop for the scrap car dealer who occupies the premises opposite The Male Hen. For more information about that we will have to await Fedup’s input.

One thing is strange and that is that your picture shows eleven outfield players and a goalkeeper and in those far off days substitutes hadn’t even been thought of. So that’s a bit of a puzzle.

Something that could explain this is Pete’s identification of Rodney Trotter in the centre of the front row; and although that couldn’t possibly be Rodney, the actor Nicholas Lyndhurst who played him did have another part at one time in ‘Goodnight Sweetheart’ in which he was able to travel back in time. Who knows he may have travelled back to Whaley to take his place in one of our football teams during a successful season as Gary Sparrow a free scoring centre forward.

R. S-S

Pete wrote:

Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2009 11:47:51(UTC)
Gnatalee

Pete wrote:

Hello and thank you for your input, and particularly for spotting Nicholas Lyndhurst !  That was the first thing I noticed about the photo - perhaps "Goodnight Sweetheart" wasn't just a TV programme ?

The other thing I thought was funny about the photo was that there are nearly as many non-players in the photo as the team - and I suspect that someone in my family is in the photo, but WHO?  If this is a picture of the team from the Whaley end then I am also hoping that one of the "plain clothes" guys is either my grandad or g.grandad (both of whom died before I was born).  My g.grandad had a barbers shop in Bridge Street.  I also thought that the building behind the team was a church building and that perhaps it was a church team.

I did occasionally look at the previous forum but wasn't a "poster" so-to-speak.  Even so, I have only re-discovered the photos when sorting out "stuff" in the house.

Looking forward to more input.

Gnats

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2009 12:10:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello once again Gnatalee,

You are correct in identifying the building as a church. It was in fact The Whaley Bridge Mission but the congregation left at the turn of the last century to join Holy Trinity just up the road. The Mission was referred to as The Iron Church and was later used as The Derby Tea Rooms and later on The Buxton Road Tea Rooms. As I say it is now a workshop used by the scrap car dealer who operates from there.

I’ll have a look at my records later today when I get home to see if I can find any information about your Great Grandfather’s barbers shop on Bridge Street but at the moment nothing immediately springs to mind.

I’ll contact you again later Gnatalee.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2009 13:47:55(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thanks RS-S

The barbers shop was in the end house next to the bridge (I think it was some sort of annexe to the main house). The family lived in that house and my grandmother had the house next door. She lived there until the early 70's I think.

I have a photo somewhere (I'll have a look for it) of the back of the house on the verandah of two old chaps and a little lad. It isn't very clear. I wish people had written details on the backs of photos in those days ! It must have been fairly unusual to have your photos taken at home - I think they would usually have been professional photos.

Gnats
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 26 April 2009 10:08:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning Gnatalee,

Was your Great Grandfather a barber named Harry Jones by any chance?

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#8 Posted : 26 April 2009 11:16:06(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good morning R.S-S

Well you've answered a question there ! My Dad refers to him as ""Grandad Harry" but in fact he was William Henry Jones. So yes, that's the one. I think his son Wilf also was the barber later on. You can see why I was hoping that someone that far back in the family would be on the picture - I live in hope !

I've had a look at the Whaley Bridge Football website and have seen a picture which has a member of my mum's family on it. I have a different picture of the same team which I will put on next.

Gnats
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 26 April 2009 13:23:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnatalee,

Harry Jones charged one penny (old money) for a haircut and by all accounts he certainly enjoyed a drink or three.

His descendants were Percy Jones who married Lottie Jodrell and lived on Jodrell Road; as you know their son was shot down in a Lancaster Bomber over Germany in the Second World War. He was the tail gunner.
There was also Wilfred Jones who lived on Old Road and he was a barber. He was known not as Wilf but Wiff, Thomas Jones went to live at Bridgemont, Miss Emma Jones worked at Meveril Works and never married, Edith Jones married John William Jodrell and Jessie Jones married Clement Morris. They had two sons Geoff and Wilf (Digger).
Digger Morris was the finest plasterer to have lived in Whaley Bridge. It was said that he could replaster a front room ceiling without the need to cover the furniture or carpets.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#10 Posted : 26 April 2009 15:16:33(UTC)
Gnatalee

"Harry Jones charged one penny (old money) for a haircut and by all accounts he certainly enjoyed a drink or three."

This made my Dad laught when I read it out to him !!

Of the names you mention I personally only remember Emma - she was as deaf as a post and played her radio at full blast on a Sunday evening.

There was also John Samuel Jones (the eldest), Edith and, of course, William Henry who died in WW1 in France aged 18.

I am attaching a photo taken at the back of the house/barbers in Bridge Street. Don't know who is who but wondered if the man in the background is Wilf Jones and the older man is Harry? Don't know who the children are.

Gnats
Gnatalee  
#11 Posted : 26 April 2009 15:20:16(UTC)
Gnatalee

Ooops - having trouble attaching the photo - will try later !

Gnats

Edited by user 26 April 2009 15:24:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#12 Posted : 26 April 2009 19:47:32(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What a wonderful photo of the football team. I just love the various styles of flat caps. I presume the gentleman in the trilby was of slightly higher status than the others!

R.S-S, you are a veritable font of knowledge on all things Whaley Bridge! I raise my glass to you in admiration!
Gnatalee  
#13 Posted : 26 April 2009 19:58:10(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thanks Fedup.

When you delve into the old photograph box you never know what you're going to come out with ! I've found it really interesting looking at the old photos of people from Whaley - I've spent many a happy time there.

I've had some difficulty uploading another photograph this afternoon, can't work out what the problem is, but will have another go.

You are right though, R.S-S has found some really interesting information - especially about the 1d hair cut ! It caused a smile in our house, I can tell you !

Thanx for your interest.

Gnats

Edited by user 26 April 2009 19:59:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 14 August 2009 15:34:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnats,

Just reviving an old topic started by you about the location of where the photo was taken of the football team.
I told you it was outside the Buxton Road Tea Rooms opposite The Male Hen Pub (isn’t it ridiculous that we can not use the correct name?).

I have found a couple of photos that show the Tea Rooms in more detail and the first one is below.

As I’ve said before the Tea Rooms are still there and they are currently the repair shop for the scrap car dealer. And before that it was the Whaley Bridge Fire Station. I’m not sure if Frankie was on call to that building I’ll ask him for you the next time I see him but I think he may come on here and tell us.

R.S-S

IRON1 by you.

Gnatalee  
#15 Posted : 15 August 2009 11:08:36(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thanks for the interesting picture R. S-S.

Regarding the tea-rooms - the sign on the roof gives the impression that it was also the place to book for parties - but only for drinking tea and soft drinks, of course ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 15 August 2009 11:09:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 16 August 2009 12:44:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnatalee,

I think you are indeed correct and no liquor was served in The Buxton Road Tea Rooms.

Looking at this establishment from another angle you can see the sign simply for teas and parties. And to be honest I do not think the two ladies pictured were disturbed by an inconsiderate photographer just as they were about to nip in for a bit of ‘early doors’.
Then again you never know.

I do think the place looked better in those days than it does now.

R. S-S

IRON2 by you.