logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2009 10:57:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I remember when we were very young looking up at the big house on top of the hill but our parents told us we were not to go anywhere near the place. They said it was haunted. Really it was just derelict, falling down and probably dangerous. The house on the hill was Shallcross Manor.

They told us it was haunted to keep us out of danger. As we all got older and more adventurous we all wanted to have a closer look at this mysterious place and we plucked up enough courage to go and have a look.
The front door was open and we went in all of us pretending to be brave and not frightened of ghosts but in reality we were all terrified and we all tried to be at the back. You could wander round from room to room, open creaking doors not knowing what or who was going to be behind them. One lad opened a door and there was a lot of noise and we all fell over one another trying to get away from the ghost. It was in actual fact just half a dozen pigeons that had come in through a broken window. We laughed but we were scared and do you know what we all kept going back; somehow drawn to this mysterious Manor House. It wasn’t so scary if half a dozen of us went but just two of you and you had to get out pretty quick and you were relieved when you got a fair distance away. You thought the ghost wouldn’t ‘get you’ in view of other houses.
The rumours of The Ghost of Shallcross Manor persisted even after it was demolished in about 1971. Some said it was like a fireball, others said it was an old lady who had died up there and others said it was a large dog.

Now I have just found the following press cutting which suggests it might just have been a ghostly dog.

Make of it what you will and sleep well tonight.

R. S-S

High Peak News

10 December 1910

strange stories of a “ghost”

seen by several persons

Whaley Bridge and the district is excited over the strange stories which are circulating about a ghost having been seen by several people at Elnor Lane, a lonely road which leads to Buxton.    The story goes that the “ghost” is in the shape of a large dog of the greyhound type, and that the dog walks on in front or sometimes by the side of the person, but when anyone has stooped down to stroke it, it has vanished into thin air !    Those who have witnessed this peculiar phenomenon declare that it causes a most creepy sensation.
Only recently two men were going from Fernilee, when they espied a large dog in front of them, which was described as having a luminous appearance.    One of the men was so startled that he commenced to run to Fernilee, but the other stayed behind and tried to stroke the animal, but it vanished.    It is stated that the “dog ghost” has been seen frequently in the neighbourhood of Elnor House, which is situated in this lonely locality.

Frankie  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2009 13:38:04(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

R.S.S

Sure enough living at that time near to Shallcros Manor we were told by our parents to keep away from the buiding due to vandalism and theft from the building .Ihad visited the hall early when occupied to carol sing with Taxal Church Choir. The last family to live at the Manor were a family named BERRY who owned a large great dane named Brutus . The dog would roam around the gardens and sometimes wander down to the Shallcross estate, we were told the Berry's owned two dogs but I only ever saw the one. They also owned a classic car which I think was a Lamborgini which Mr Berry drove to go to buisness.

A few moths after the buiding became empty our gang decided to explore the place starting in the cellars and moving onto the upper floors. On reaching one of the bedrooms and entering we we were met by a figure donned in a white boilersuit, about turn and three abreast heading through the doorway down the stairs ,out and acroos the fields to the estate.

At that time we could not tell anyone of our experience due to the fact we would be grounded for disobeying parents wishes not to go near the place.After a couple of days a very uneasy gang of lads  learned the ghost we had met was in fact a member of a gang who had  been stealing lead of the roof

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2009 18:13:31(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Frankie,

Yes Mr Berry was the last occupier of the Hall but there were two locals in service just after the war; Mr and Mrs Listwan, now of Rock Bank occupied the east Wing of the Hall. Joan was a housekeeper and Paul was, well I don’t really know what he was, a handyman I suppose. I have asked them both about ghostly goings-on up there but neither of them apparently had any visitations.

As you say Mr Berry had a big smart car but he also had a motorbike and sidecar and Mr Listwan used this to go to get meat for the family and Brutus from a butcher in Glossop. Just how he got there and back in one piece is anyone’s guess.

Can you remember the barn owls that were the very last inhabitants of the Manor?

Did you ever find out who was the man in the boiler suit? If you did don’t mention his name on here; a simple yes will do. I think I may know his identity but it’s not a matter for this thread.

Hope to meet up with you very soon,

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2009 17:31:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Frankie,

There were certainly some strange goings-on around this time; the ghostly dog was reported in December 1910 and exactly two years later there was an attempted kidnapping on Elnor Lane.

It seems safe enough nowadays though unless you know differently.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2009 17:40:48(UTC)
Frankie

R.S.S.      

We did find out who the white boiler suited man and his gang were, there were other items went missing from Shallcross Manor, enough said.

I was not aware that they had worked in service at the Manor but tongue in cheek ,I am much younger than Joan & Paul . You could not meet  more friendly people.I was awareof the barn owls nesting in the garage on the farm side of the hall.My brother had permission to use the garage to park his first car a (standard 10 flyer) who gave him permision to park there is a mystery.When we went to collect the car we would open the doors and stand back whist the owls flew out. There was also hens from the farm laying away in the garage and on a much later visit (after meeting the man in the boiler suit )we had a visit to the cellar and found hens nesting in the old open fire boilers.

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 12 May 2009 17:47:21(UTC)
Gnatalee

Regarding the ghostly dog - and this may not be the same ghostly dog (Whaley may be inundated with them) - my Grandmother always swore blind that she and hubby were driving in the car (I think towards Chapel) and she saw a dog in the middle of the road and screamed to "look out there's a dog in the road". Needless to say it was too late to miss the dog but in actual fact they didn't hit anything. There was no sign of the animal. He called her a silly ...... for making him jump and she maintained 'til the day she died that she saw what she saw !!!! What's more, I believe her

Gnats

Edited by user 12 May 2009 17:49:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Imanust  
#7 Posted : 24 September 2009 20:36:23(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I wonder if this could be related to the Saxon Cross which is around that area. Such myths are that entities/Paranormal events occur on Ley Lines, and around Whaley Bridge we are criss-crossed by such Energy Lines that can easily be picked up on EMF meters. These also explain why frequently fuses blow out and we have occasional power surges.

The whole area is riddled with Activity from William Woods Stone up on the Disley Tops, the Plague and Murder stones nearby, the Saxon Cross near Elnor Lane, Stone Circles on Ladder Hill and in Dove Holes, not to mention Ghosts being seen and Dickeys Skull at Tunstead.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 24 September 2009 21:41:42(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Evening to you Imanust,

You mention William Wood’s stone and then within the same sentence you mention Murder Stones nearby.

I do not understand this. The William Wood Stone has always been known as The Murder Stone. What are these other Murder Stones you refer to? This is most intriguing.

The only other inscribed stone I know about around here detailing a death is the John Turner Stone but I could not describe the John Turner Stone as being close to the Murder Stone.

As far as the Ghost of Shallcross Manor is concerned it was simply a ghost.

Incidentally, Frankie, I spoke to Joan the other day and Paul is not very well at all. Once upon a time he was probably the strongest man in Whaley but sadly no longer.

R. S-S

Imanust  
#9 Posted : 24 September 2009 22:12:57(UTC)

Upon the fields overlooking the Disley Tops road is a Monolithic Stone which has been refered to as the Murder Stone on numerous occasions, the location is just above the old Golf Club site. However also near to this Stone on the Kettleshulme side of Whaley Moor is yet another ancient Stone, again either mistakenly or attributedly named also the Murder Stone. I believe this was the location some years ago of a disturbance when some "new age" followers were targeted by a single individual with underlying metal issues, and there was a stabbing at the site. Thankfully quieter days now follow since.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 23 October 2009 12:48:02(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

For those of you who never visited the fine old building that was Shallcross Hall and that means anybody who was not around here 42 years ago when the Council gave planning permission for its demolition here is a photo of the place.

I know that Frankie went there and I have also been there. I hope some others on here have also been fortunate enough to have paid a visit.

R. S-S

snowy  
#11 Posted : 23 October 2009 13:08:59(UTC)
snowy

Is the picture the right way round? (The writing at the bottom isn't.)

G. Jackson  
#12 Posted : 23 October 2009 14:21:48(UTC)
G. Jackson

I seem to remember the dog having a black left front leg
Fedup  
#13 Posted : 24 October 2009 20:58:58(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

That is truly a magnficent building. Or should I say "was".

Unfortunately, it was gone by the time I moved to Whaley.

Anyone know who the gentleman with the dog is?

Edited by user 24 October 2009 20:59:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dan74  
#14 Posted : 25 October 2009 22:44:49(UTC)
dan74

Imanust wrote:

I wonder if this could be related to the Saxon Cross which is around that area. Such myths are that entities/Paranormal events occur on Ley Lines, and around Whaley Bridge we are criss-crossed by such Energy Lines that can easily be picked up on EMF meters. These also explain why frequently fuses blow out and we have occasional power surges.

The whole area is riddled with Activity from William Woods Stone up on the Disley Tops, the Plague and Murder stones nearby, the Saxon Cross near Elnor Lane, Stone Circles on Ladder Hill and in Dove Holes, not to mention Ghosts being seen and Dickeys Skull at Tunstead.

I grew on Shallcross estate, we often played on Ladder Hill and i never noticed a stone circle? Could you enlighten me Imanust?

Imanust  
#15 Posted : 26 October 2009 11:37:12(UTC)

I havent visited the location personally as I understand its off the footpath on farmland, but the Barrow (with possible stones being buried under the ground at the location) is just off the main overhead road which goes just off Elnor Lane across Ladder Hill to Combs.

It would be quite intresting to see wether there could be historical digs set-up around these places, as this area has history dating back for thousands of years. Not only Runestones at Lyme Park but with ArrowHeads being found and Saxon Crosses/Stone Monoliths dotted across the land aswell (possibly more that we dont know of.)

dan74  
#16 Posted : 26 October 2009 21:25:04(UTC)
dan74

Thank you fpr that indormation Imanust it fascinating stuff. I have just relocated to Somerset because of work commitments but next Im visting my parents I will definitely be checking the site out.
RockBanker  
#17 Posted : 02 November 2009 17:58:19(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 02 November 2009 18:27:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Welcome back RB,

I have missed you but I think I have just about managed to hold the fort.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#19 Posted : 03 November 2009 09:49:53(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Thank you R. S-S

Have just returned from a trip to the Forest of Dean - Lots of wandering around old colliery sites, a very interesting underground tour of parts of the Big Pit at Blaenavon and a quick re-education in Welsh mythology at St Fagans. All good background material for the "Shallcross Code". Have you spoken to Peter about my suggestion of him taking up wet fish delivery?

RB

Edited by user 03 November 2009 11:05:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#20 Posted : 29 April 2010 17:37:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

This is a fairly unusual photo of Shallcross Hall or Shallcross Manor as it was always known locally.

It is fairly unusual to see such an old photo in colour but most unusually Valentines have named it Smallcross Hall.

Personally I have never heard that before and it is obviously a typing error but a bit strange that it wasn’t noticed.

I may be sitting on a small fortune with this one.

R. S-S