logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2009 10:00:27(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Here are a few photos of Whaley which some of you may find interesting - I hope so anyway !

Gnats

File Attachment(s):
Whaley 1.JPG (818kb) downloaded 248 time(s).
Old Whaley 3.JPG (844kb) downloaded 238 time(s).
Radar  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2009 11:21:34(UTC)
Radar

Great photos Gnats,

I'm not certain of the date they were taken bit I can confirm it was before 1973, as my house is missing.

Radar

Fedup  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2009 16:49:18(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Gnats - once again you have come up with some wonderful photos!

Keep 'em coming!
Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2009 17:36:38(UTC)
Gnatalee

Radar

I am pretty sure they are pre-1904 because the old bridge in Bridge Street is still there (on Whaley 3 picture). I was also told, don't know if it is true, that the road from Bridge Street and straight across Market Street and over the railway line was the main road to Disley.

In picture Whaley 1 the Wakes fair is in the bottom-left corner of the photo.

Gnats

Edited by user 05 June 2009 17:37:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2009 19:12:46(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

There is a good selection of old local photos at Footsteps, they are for sale but you can browse free of charge. Have a delicious cup of cappuccino for only 85p while you browse.

george

george  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2009 19:16:07(UTC)
george

There is a good selection of old local photos at Footsteps, they are for sale but you can browse free of charge. Have a delicious cup of cappuccino for only 85p while you browse.

george

Radar  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2009 21:51:34(UTC)
Radar

Gnatalee,

Having thought about it, the photo Whaley 3 is definitely pre-1896 as the row of houses on Reservoir Road is missing.

Radar

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2009 10:03:43(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Morning Gnatalee,

The two pictures you have shown us are both contained within ‘Whaley Bridge in old picture postcards’ by Robert and Pamela Pierce. That does not matter because you can only learn about the history of the village by asking older people, finding old photos or reading books such as the one mentioned.

The Pierce’s mention the Corn Mill on Bridge Street and they say it has its water wheel still intact. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t see it even magnifying your photo I still can’t see it. But I know where it was and how it worked and maybe some of the more adventurous readers on here might want to check it out.

The water wheel was an undershot wheel as opposed to an overshot. That means it was turned by water flowing under it rather than cascading on to it from above. And how did they get the water to it? Well we’re back to another ‘goat’ and if you have been following the historical side you will know that a goat (goit) is a man made water channel.

In the Park there was a sluice gate and water was taken from the river into the goat and it made its way adjacent to Reservoir Road, down by the Youth Club and went behind Plants on Wharf Road. It then went through a tunnel under the railway and emerged again at the side of the Railway Public House; you can see it if you look over the railings. It then went under Market Street and through the cellar of one of the take away shops. The cellar is about two feet higher than the other cellars to let the water through. It then emerged at the back of the shop and went in the goat to turn the Corn Mill water wheel and finally drained back into the River Goyt. Absolutely brilliant.
It uses exactly the same principal as the Botany did with Taxal Duck Pond.

Now here’s one for investigative historians (yes I mean you Fedup); if you walk round Wharf Road just at the side of Plant’s shop you will see a metal gate. You can simply walk through and when you have negotiated a few yards of stinging nettles and thistles you will come to the ‘secret tunnel’. It’s big enough to walk through and when you do you will find yourself down below the Railway smoking shelter.
When you do get there and if there is anyone looking over the railings you feel much the same as that Polar Bear must have felt at Chester Zoo. Incidentally Fedup if you do go don’t expect anyone to throw you any fresh fish and I would advise extreme caution if you decide to follow the goat any further than this point.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#9 Posted : 11 June 2009 20:35:51(UTC)
Fedup

I'll give that a go R.S-S!

Not too disappointed about the fish, but am quite partial to peanuts. Any chance of those, do you think?
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 12 June 2009 07:23:11(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning Fedup,

This mission must be aborted. I repeat abort the mission.

Not wanting to ask anyone to undertake a duty I could not perform myself I decided to dive it a whirl yesterday:

The gate was open and the ‘secret tunnel’ was in good order but was a little damp in the bottom so I decided to walk around to the side of the Railway Pub and have a look over the railings. I could not believe what I saw. There are mature trees growing in the goat. It is an absolute disgrace. How do the powers that be allow these historically important features of our town fall into such disrepair?

I must have passed that place thousands of times and I have not even noticed the emergence of a new rain forest.

So if you go on your own accord I can guarantee there will be no fish thrown to you but you might be nearer the mark with peanuts. You don’t bear any similarities to that old ginger orang-utan at Chester Zoo do you Fedup?

R. S-S

Fedup wrote:
I'll give that a go R.S-S!

Not too disappointed about the fish, but am quite partial to peanuts. Any chance of those, do you think?

Jake  
#11 Posted : 12 June 2009 10:37:15(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good Morning R. S-S

I'm not sure which powers that be you refer to but I suspect that the problem lies with the water authorities, in saying that I see no reason why the Town Council should not report the matter to those powers. May I suggest an e-mail to the Town Clerk is the appropriate course for action.

Take care now

Jake
Fedup  
#12 Posted : 12 June 2009 20:57:06(UTC)
Fedup

Well, R.S-S! Thank goodness I decided to browse the Forum this evening, as I was all set to go exploring tomorrow. How disappointing that my mission has now to be aborted! I had even packed a paper bag, in readiness for the avalanche of peanuts that I am sure would have been showered upon me by the kind people of Whaley!

I have inspected myself in the mirror today, and have to admit that in a certain light and at a certain angle, there may just be a slight resemblance to the old orang-utan at Chester Zoo. However, I have to say that our former, but still revered, leader Jake, wearing my old cat Ginger on his head, would probably bear a closer resemblance. I myself am a great admirer of orang-utans. I make that point just in case anyone thinks I am being disrespectful to Jake in any way.

I think I will go away and lie down quietly for a while now!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 13 June 2009 09:51:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Morning to you Jake,

When I referred to the ‘Powers that be’ I was indeed referring to you and your fellow Councillors. You may not think so but you are expected by the people of the village (Yes I nearly said the Village People) to actually look after the village.
It might not be part of your remit as a Councillor but it certainly should be. The Council seems to have an opinion on everything that goes on in the village and comments on all Planning Applications. The Council have rights to address any issues it thinks might affect the village and it is able, with a full time official, to contact and make enquiries of outside bodies who are responsible for certain parts of the village.

Sometimes the outside body may be unaware there is a problem and would welcome an approach from the Council. Well that’s how it should work. There is enough evidence around to the opposite if you care to investigate.

Getting back to the ‘goat’ that fed water to the corn mill; this came out of the River Goyt and was led round many buildings, including the Mechanics Institute, and when it had done its job, i.e.: turning the water wheel, it ended up back in the Goyt.
It was/is an important part of our local history and it was a simple but magnificent achievement.

I don’t blame you or any Councillor for not noticing the problem, if indeed it is a problem, for I have passed that place thousands of times and not noticed myself.

Now at one time you used to be able to walk through the ‘secret tunnel’ and emerge at the side of the Railway Pub. Obviously this was long after the corn mill had shut its doors and we probably should not have played there.
The base of the ‘goat’ was concrete and used to be cleaned out on a regular basis. I always presumed this was done by the council. They did lots of jobs like that years ago. Who owns that piece of land? I don’t know. Has it simply been allowed to fall into disrepair? It certainly looks like it.
On the other hand the owners may have simply broken out the concrete and planted a lot of trees. Seems doubtful but you never know.
However, it has now been pointed out to you as a Councillor and you need to spring into action like the cat that adorns your head and bring us some answers.
I know you will not let us down.

I shall email this to the Clerk to the Council.

R. S-S

Jake wrote:
Good Morning R. S-S

I'm not sure which powers that be you refer to but I suspect that the problem lies with the water authorities, in saying that I see no reason why the Town Council should not report the matter to those powers. May I suggest an e-mail to the Town Clerk is the appropriate course for action.

Take care now

Jake

Jake  
#14 Posted : 13 June 2009 10:15:48(UTC)

Good Morning R. S-S

I have to agree with everything you have written and although I don't have a spring in me at present I will try to follow it up with the Town Clerk on Monday. I will try not to let you all down but I can't make any promises in my current condition.

Jake

Edited by user 13 June 2009 10:22:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 13 June 2009 11:38:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Jake,

Of course I know full well your state of health so you do not need to concern yourself at the moment. I have emailed Stephanie about the ‘goat’ and I know she’s not a bad stick so I am sure she won’t mind spending a little of her time on the matter.

You can perhaps get involved when you are feeling better; which I hope will be very soon indeed.

R. S-S

Jake  
#16 Posted : 15 June 2009 10:11:36(UTC)

Hi R S-S

I spoke to Stephanie this morning about the goat at the side of the Railway pub, and she has recieved your e-mail. I think she may come back to you to ask a few question about the start and finish points of the goat.

Stephanie will also have to try and find out whose responsibility it is, contact the relevant people and ask to have it cleaned, this will of course take time but I will try to keep you posted on our progress.

Jake