logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Green_Gentleman  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2011 22:31:34(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Groups: Member

Just an appeal for anyone with any information/photographs that are relevant to the fortification around Whaley Bridge or the High Peak area in general in the WW2 era. Sadly it seems this time of our area's past has been forgotten or lost to records, as obviously with us engaged in war close to home (aswell as at home) there would be the need for Bunkers/Shelters aswell as AA guns on the higher peaks overlooking Manchester, not to mention Ammo dumps supplying the guns.

With V2 bombs dropping close to us in the White Peak, and German fighters crashing in Disley aswell as High Lane. I find it unfeasible that we was left undefended in them days, aswell as being in a sheltered valley prone for a German strike into Manchester.

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2011 23:50:04(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Green Gentleman, welcome to the forum.

Are you sure that V2 rockets dropped around here, I was under the impression that the range of these rockets meant that they only reached the south-east of England, London and Cambridge getting the worst of their destruction.

RockBanker  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2011 06:25:02(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

One of the major relics of WW2 in the area is of course the former RAF Harpur Hill in Buxton - A massive underground bomb store which remained operational until the late 50's/early 60'. The former housing area for the base can be identified by a number of roads named after figures from RAF history  - Trenchard Drive, Tedder Avenue, Harris Road etc.

Edited by user 20 January 2011 06:51:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
davethescope  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2011 08:50:32(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
G. Jackson wrote:

Are you sure that V2 rockets dropped around here, I was under the impression that the range of these rockets meant that they only reached the south-east of England, London and Cambridge getting the worst of their destruction.

The later V-2 rockets had a maximum range of 200 miles, putting Whaley Bridge safely out of their reach. I think that Norwich was the most distant place targeted by V2s
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2011 09:06:40(UTC)
G. Jackson

Thanks Dave, another thing about Green Gentleman's original posting was that a plane didn't crash in Disley. The story goes that the plane was just dropping bombs to lighten the load for the return home after missing the target of the railway at Stockport. The first bomb was dropped on Leafield Road, on Jackson's Edge near the old Golf Clubhouse.The next was dropped on the Owl's Nest which was a camp site with a shed on it and belonged to Manchester Grammar School. The Owl's nest was rebuilt and is roughly between Mudhouse Lane and Badgers Clough at the top of Buxton Old Road. The plane then flew over New Mills dropping a few more bombs and I seem to remember that someone was killed near Low Leighton.

The old story of 25   V2 rockets dropping on the centre of Dove Holes and doing nearly £4.00 worth of damage is not true.

Edited by user 20 January 2011 09:09:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tarboat  
#6 Posted : 20 January 2011 12:51:07(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

davethescope wrote:
G. Jackson wrote:

The later V-2 rockets had a maximum range of 200 miles, putting Whaley Bridge safely out of their reach. I think that Norwich was the most distant place targeted by V2s

Whilst the V2 rockets may not have reached the area, the V1s certainly did. The Christmas Eve 1944 attack on Machester with missiles launched from planes over the North Sea resulted in damage across the north-west of England. Some fell around Macclesfield and there may have been others closer to Whaley Bridge. There is a book about this raid if you can find it.

Edited by user 20 January 2011 12:51:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#7 Posted : 20 January 2011 13:11:05(UTC)
G. Jackson

The V1 (150 miles) had a smaller range than the V2 (200 miles) so I don't think they could have reached the north. Towards the end of the war the Germans tried to launch the V1s from aircraft but this was unsuccessful according to the V1 website.

RockBanker  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2011 13:12:47(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 20 January 2011 15:43:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very poor quality photo of bomb damage to a house in Hayfield.

Now I don’t know when this happened, what sort of a bomb it was or even where the house was.

I have a feeling Buggyite may be able to help on this one.

R. S-S

umtali  
#10 Posted : 20 January 2011 16:26:08(UTC)

Groups: Guest

As a school boy I recall an unexploded German bomb finishing up lying in the river at the side of Lowe’s Mill in the Torrs probably round about the same time as the Hayfield or Low Leighton ones.

It was retrieved from the river by two well known local heroes who’s names were always mentioned with a smile whenever the tale was related in later years.

After recovering it from the shallow water they loaded it onto a wheelbarrow and delivered it to New Mills Police Station at that time opposite New Mills Library, a fair old climb from the Torrs. The journey would have taken them along Market Street

Despite their hard work and good intentions the Police were unappreciative and in fact arranged for them to appear in New Mills Court. Don’t remember what the outcome of the case was but I am sure it could be checked out in the High Peak Reporter archives
shallcross  
#11 Posted : 20 January 2011 17:36:17(UTC)
shallcross

There are a number of reports about the dumping of bombs in and around the area and of course the incident in New Mills when the street came under machine gun fire.

I haven't seen many photos relating to WW2 in Whaley, I knew as mentioned by RSS that there were searchlights stationed at Shallcross Manor but not seen any photos, maybe someone has some.

There are a couple of WW2 plane wrecks above Errwood Hall, there used to be quite a bit of debri when I was younger, but I was up there a couple of years ago and there is very little left.

Heres a photograph of Buxton post office preparing for the worst in 1940 with the Civil Defence

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Post Office Sandbagging 1940 Civil Defence.jpg
Shallcross
G. Jackson  
#12 Posted : 20 January 2011 17:52:02(UTC)
G. Jackson

I've just read the V1 website and they did launch them from aircraft over the North Sea but had a very poor record. Sorry.

shallcross  
#13 Posted : 20 January 2011 17:52:26(UTC)
shallcross

And how about this

these maps were produced by Germany for all towns and cities across the UK above a certain size, and were to be issued to occupying troops after the success of operation Sealion.

How different things could have turned out!!

File Attachment(s):
img (2).jpg (805kb) downloaded 106 time(s).
Shallcross
G. Jackson  
#14 Posted : 20 January 2011 17:59:22(UTC)
G. Jackson

I bet The Special One at the Board Inn wishes the Germans were here, they are a big drinking nation. 

Edited by user 20 January 2011 17:59:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Neil A Shaw  
#15 Posted : 20 January 2011 18:49:46(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Britain's coldest winters on record in pictures

6 February 1947:  German prisoners of war clear snow from the Whaley Bridge to Buxton road near Chapel-en-le-Frith

6 February 1947: German prisoners of war clear snow from the Whaley Bridge to Buxton road near Chapel-en-le-Frith

Stumbled across this photograph the other day. Apologies if it's already been published.

davethescope  
#16 Posted : 20 January 2011 19:50:34(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
G. Jackson wrote:

The V1 (150 miles) had a smaller range than the V2 (200 miles) so I don't think they could have reached the north. Towards the end of the war the Germans tried to launch the V1s from aircraft but this was unsuccessful according to the V1 website.

According to Wikipedia rather more than a 100 V1s were successfully launched over the North Sea from modified HE111s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_(flying_bomb)
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
RockBanker  
#17 Posted : 20 January 2011 20:53:49(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

To return to the Green Gentlemens original question, I have always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the structure hidden in the bank at the side of Chapel Road by the path down to the old railway line at Horwich End by the old Gas Works was a WW2 air-raid shelter. Anyone care to confirm or deny?  

Green_Gentleman  
#18 Posted : 20 January 2011 23:27:20(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Great question as I was just thinking the same myself earlier this afternoon. Its a shame the sun had gone down and the fog rolled in before I managed to get a closer look at the structure, but I also think with its size (Whaley would have a populus of some 4000? in the mid 40's back then I'd assume) it's either a residential Bunker or something unconnected.

Saying that, with the infrastructure of the Railway, Toddbrook and the Goyt Dams. There must have been provisions somewhere to house the 4000 residents when the sirens sounded.

RockBanker  
#19 Posted : 21 January 2011 00:25:58(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I imagine there were a number of morrison and anderson shelters and re-inforced cellars. but I do not imagine that there were any large communal shelters such as found in Stockport. These were very much the exception than the rule. A gas works, with full time fire watchers and a fire team on call, would have been provided with a shelter as often were railway stations, factories etc. Again, I would be more than happy to be corrected on my assumptions.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#20 Posted : 21 January 2011 08:36:14(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello RB,

It was indeed an air raid shelter (the steps are The Gap Steps by the way) and there was another one in the playground at Horwich End School and another one just over the road behind the garage.
This last one only had its door built up a few years ago on H & S grounds.

R. S-S