logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2009 10:42:03(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

I've attached a picture of the old stone bridge in Bridge Street - don't think I've posted it before !

My Dad's cousin, who has lent me the photo, can name one or two people on the picture but I can't now remember who he said they were !!!

Gnats

File Attachment(s):
Old Bridge Whaley.JPG (890kb) downloaded 123 time(s).
Fedup  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2009 21:44:03(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Lovely photo Gnats, but what I can't understand is that whenever you post a photo, whatever part of Whaley it is, there is always this group of mainly men and boys standing around doing nothing! Where do they all come from?
Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2009 22:29:52(UTC)
Gnatalee

Fedup, didn't you know? These are photographs specifically taken to highlight the activities of the Whaley 'bush telegraph ! They come from the collection "Whaley at leisure", consisting of Whaley folk chatting to each other, sharing a lunch-break from the factory, passing on the latest bits of juicy news whilst watching the latest coal train trundling past or the local band having their photograph taken. Indeed, I believe I may even have more modern photographs which feature, in the background, members of the "bush telegraph".

Personally, I believe these "volunteers" in the photographs contribute an authenticity to the overall picture. When you next go into the village, imagine you are taking a photo and look around to see all the people who would be in the photo. My goodness, what are they all talking about? Gordong Brown, MPs expenses, so-and-so down the road? Wouldn't we like to know? I just love photos - and these ones in particular.

Gnats

Edited by user 30 June 2009 22:38:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified