logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
curtaintwitcher  
#21 Posted : 30 April 2010 12:48:23(UTC)
curtaintwitcher

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have noticed that prices on old photo's of Whaley Bridge have increased in value on e bay maybe due to our forum!!!!
Great photo R.S.S i agree.
Here is a former resident of Shallcross manor I think he lived there 1930s-1941 ish.
Edward Hall D.S.O 6th Notts Derby .
File Attachment(s):
shallcross manor.jpg (777kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
curtaintwitcher attached the following image(s):
HALL1[2].jpg
curtaintwitcher  
#22 Posted : 30 April 2010 12:55:57(UTC)
curtaintwitcher

And the Manor
File Attachment(s):
shallcross manor.jpg (777kb) downloaded 102 time(s).
parabuild  
#23 Posted : 25 January 2011 19:31:28(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I had never heard of the composer Patrick Hadley until coming across his name by chance.  After the First World War, he studied music at Cambridge and was influenced by Vaughan Williams, who became a close friend, and by Adrian Boult and Malcolm Sargent.

Hadley's grandfather, had died in 1881 and shortly afterwards his grandmother married a wealthy builder whose home was Shalcross Hall. Patrick's father, Sheldon became a frequent visitor.

He was not a prolific composer and his music has never become popular. He spent much of his life in Cambridge although he visited Derbyshire frequently for holidays. Our local countryside inspired much of his music.

One of his best known pieces is the cantata "The Hills" written in 1944 and is largely autobiographical. The second movement is "In Taxal Woods" and here the protagonists vow undying love for each other.  This work was performed at the 1947 Proms.  An earlier piece "Kinder Scout" was first performed at Buxton Opera House in 1922 but has never been recorded.

I have not yet heard any of Hadley's music although "The Hills" is available on CD and as a download.
 There is much more about the composer and "The Hills" at 
http://www.musicweb-international.com/hadley/hills.htm and also on Wikipedia.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#24 Posted : 26 January 2011 10:32:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good morning Parabuild,

I’m not much into that sort of music, David but it did bring back memories of when I was very young and we only had one TV channel: good old BBC.

So you watched what the Beeb had on or read a book.

Anyway there was a lot of interest when the Radio Times announced that there would be a regular Saturday night programme and it was live from The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

It was a little bit like Sunday Night at The London Palladium without the games section.

A regular on the show was an organist called Esme Hand and everybody thought she was brilliant. Well not everybody because I didn’t like her really. But it must be said that viewing figures kept increasing and Esme became the star of the show.
Big stars turned up in Buxton to appear on the show: Russ Conway and such like. Even Cathy Kirby turned up and belted out one of her songs; now she was worth watching.

As time went on Esme’s husband, Jonny I think, would occasionally join her at the organ for a duet and this proved really popular. It was a bit like when Fannie Craddock’s husband, also Jonny, joined her in the kitchen and messed everything up.

Well the couple’s popularity increased week by week and they were on other shows as well. Not unnaturally they decided to make an LP and were confident it would be a number 1 hit.

Well they went to the recording studios and made the LP and the record sleeve was ready but someone had given it the unfortunate title:
Two Hands on the Organ.

In those days things such as that were frowned upon and the LP flopped.

I don’t know if you have a copy of ‘Two Hands on the Organ’ David but if you have it may be a collector’s piece. You should nip over to Bollington and get David Dickenson to value it for you.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#25 Posted : 26 January 2011 11:55:42(UTC)
Gnatalee

Edited by user 26 January 2011 11:57:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#26 Posted : 26 January 2011 13:34:48(UTC)
parabuild

Man

If anybody had a copy of such an illustrious recording, I would expect it to be your good self R.S-S. 

Although I remember the days of just one TV channel, I don't recall any offerings from Buxton  but then I always did my best to avoid the so called "variety shows".  Wasn't Kathy Kirby the one with very shiny lips ?

parabuild  
#27 Posted : 24 February 2011 22:48:48(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I have just come across the will of Thomas Jodrell Phillips Jodrell of Shalcross Hall and Yeardsley, Cheshire.  He died on 3rd September 1889 aged 82 He was the son of Mr Shakespeare Phillips of Manchester who had assumed the name of Jodrell in 1868 under the will of his cousin Mr John William Jodrell of Shalcross and Yeardsley.

Thoms died a very wealthy man indeed, his estate being valued at £215,593.  In his will, dated 24th May 1878, the bulk of his fortune passed to his great nephew Colonel Edward Thomas Davenant Cotton of Nantwich.  Smaller sums were left to other members of the family.

In June 1890 Colonel Cotton attended the half yearly rent audits of his newly inherited estates. He announced his intention to take the name Jodrell as his own.  He stated that neither he nor his agents would ever try to exercise political influence over his tenants. He promised that he would pay half the fees of any tenant, his son or daughter who attended school for the purpose of agricultural training.  He was also to double the prize won by any tenant at any agricultural shows.

That same year, he donated £100 towards the restoration of Taxal Church and £360 to the Mechanics Institute.

Colonel Cotton could afford to be generous

Ferni  
#28 Posted : 01 March 2011 18:49:47(UTC)
Ferni

.. a topic close to my own heart. Not the ghost, but the Manor itself.  Spent many hours playing up there, never dared to go in though due to the warnings we heeded about it being unsafe in there. Through serendipidous  means I've managed to come across a couple of photos of the interior of the manor,  which sadden me all the more at its demise,

Edited by user 01 March 2011 18:52:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Shallcross hall in.JPG (492kb) downloaded 90 time(s).

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
JonG  
#29 Posted : 27 May 2011 11:38:49(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

Mr Anonymouse has kindly sent the following picture in of Shallcross Manor. 

Cheers

Jon. 

JonG attached the following image(s):
Shallcross_Manor_s.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 30 May 2011 10:29:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

parabuild wrote:

In June 1890 Colonel Cotton attended the half yearly rent audits of his newly inherited estates. He announced his intention to take the name Jodrell as his own.  He stated that neither he nor his agents would ever try to exercise political influence over his tenants. He promised that he would pay half the fees of any tenant, his son or daughter who attended school for the purpose of agricultural training.  He was also to double the prize won by any tenant at any agricultural shows.

That same year, he donated £100 towards the restoration of Taxal Church and £360 to the Mechanics Institute.

Colonel Cotton could afford to be generous

Hello, David,

I am unclear as to where you have found out about Colonel Cotton (MP) donating £360 to the Mechanic’s Institute.

According to my records Colonel Cotton presented a cheque for £250 in July 1890 to his agent Mr. Nall who handed it to Mr. JP Kirk (JP) who was one of the trustees of the Mechanics. I am unable to trace any further donations from good old Cotton that year.

The gift was given towards the liquidation of the debt on the Mechanic’s Institute.

The Mechanics staggered from one financial crisis to another for years on end.

However I am sure all will be fine from here on in as Chairman Jon, the Whaley One, now holds the purse strings.

R. S-S

umtali  
#31 Posted : 30 May 2011 11:01:42(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Ferni wrote:

.. a topic close to my own heart. Not the ghost, but the Manor itself.  Spent many hours playing up there, never dared to go in though due to the warnings we heeded about it being unsafe in there. Through serendipidous  means I've managed to come across a couple of photos of the interior of the manor,  which sadden me all the more at its demise,

Perhaps somone will re-post

http://**Removed**shal_c_1.jpg

Norm  
#32 Posted : 30 May 2011 12:45:49(UTC)
Norm

Man

Here are the two photographs from post #28 that Ferni supplied. These are from**.

Edited by user 30 May 2011 12:48:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm attached the following image(s):
shal_c_1.jpg
shal_c_2.jpg