logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#21 Posted : 18 March 2014 17:35:05(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon wonder11.

The Railway and Male Hen are still available and now the White Horse is up for sale:

http://www.jenics.com/pdf/White-Horse-Whaley-Bridge.pdf

How long before 300 years of history is turned into flats?

RockBanker  
#22 Posted : 29 March 2014 09:55:35(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The Male Hen looked very closed at 6:00 pm yesterday with whitewashed windows. Anyone know what's going on? It still is on the Robinson's website vacancy list.  

As an aside, has anyone drunk in the Cross Keys at Chapel Milton recently? Is it still going?  Any reports on the beer and food?
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Horwich Ender  
#23 Posted : 29 March 2014 15:22:16(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Originally Posted by: RockBanker Go to Quoted Post

As an aside, has anyone drunk in the Cross Keys at Chapel Milton recently? Is it still going?  Any reports on the beer and food?

Good afternoon RockBanker.

Regrettably the Cross Keys is going the same way as some other local pubs and is to be converted into a house.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/struggling-chapel-pub-to-become-house-1-6446801

RockBanker  
#24 Posted : 29 March 2014 20:23:12(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thank you H. E. Indeed regrettable

High Peak Harry  
#25 Posted : 03 April 2014 18:11:40(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Originally Posted by: ringingroger Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Jack, this weekend was dire at the Railway and the excuse simply can't be that nobody was out. The Hart was full, as was the Club and Horse for party events. Its typical of Robinsons to bring in a outcast to run a village pub (I don't care if his excuse is that he's from New Mills) He's actually from Wimbledon. The prices have gone up, service become poor, and has a complete lack of compassion for those out wanting to let their hair down for the night.

Why bother having a TV if this guy just turns it off all the time, why bother wanting to run a music venue and then shouting down a customer because they wanted to have the Jukebox playing, this idiot even closed off the Pool Table for a week  (In his last Robbies pub he got rid of it altogether) until people started complaining about it. As Jack says it won't be too long before yet another Whaley pub is run into the ground, and for completely avoidable reasons aswell.

He was responsible for the closure of the White Hart in New Mills regardless of what he will tell anyone unfortunate enough to be in earshot. Why on Earth Robbies have given him a shot at running another of their pubs is a mystery to a lot of people. Perhaps they have a cunning plan to close all their pubs but it seems bizarre to have a brewer with questionable ale to reduce their outlets for the foul stuff.
RockBanker  
#26 Posted : 04 April 2014 07:13:20(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Free beer from Robbies?

http://www.perfect-pub.co.uk/

Wanderer returns  
#27 Posted : 05 April 2014 11:41:54(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
This really sad to see the windows white washed at the Male Hen after so much money was spent on it not so long ago, the village looks so much better with all the shops occupied ( or being worked on), it was heaving today and I couldn't park - that's not a moan this time it's a positive as it's great to see the place buzzing and active

Edited by user 05 April 2014 11:42:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#28 Posted : 05 April 2014 12:41:24(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

I am pleased to report the Male Hen is no longer on Robinson's Vacancies list as it has new owners.

They have completed some minor refurbishments and will re-open today at 6.30 pm.

There is a grand relaunch evening planned with live music from The AT Band and complimentary food at the bar.

Lets hope the new owners are successful in their new venture.

Wanderer returns  
#29 Posted : 05 April 2014 13:09:42(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
That's great news HE - thanks for letting us know
Paul Charnley  
#30 Posted : 07 April 2014 10:57:50(UTC)
Paul Charnley

Man
France

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Back in the good Old Days at the ` Male Hen ` & in the back ground !!  

Edited by user 07 April 2014 11:04:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Male Hen.jpg (311kb) downloaded 176 time(s).
Horwich Ender  
#31 Posted : 07 April 2014 17:35:01(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening Paul.

Thank you for sharing your photograph of the Male Hen.

Do you know approximately what year the photo was taken and would it be possible to post a copy in the “Historical Photographs of Whaley Pubs” thread on the Local History Forum?

Edited by user 07 April 2014 17:36:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Paul Charnley  
#32 Posted : 09 April 2014 07:09:48(UTC)
Paul Charnley

Man
France

Hi to you all , the caption under the photo says FEB 71 and have no reason to think otherwise , hence the comment referring to the Land Lady in the background !!!
In front of the bar , My Uncle Bob Charnley (left to right ) friend, Aunty Marion Charnley, and second friend , it did not look very busy that night either !!!
RockBanker  
#33 Posted : 13 April 2014 09:11:17(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

The Male Hen is indeed now up and running. Last night Mrs Rock Banker and I had the best pub meal we have eaten in Whaley Bridge for a very long time. The home made scotch egg starter and the lamb hotpot were particularly noteworthy.

thanks 1 user thanked RockBanker for this useful post.
theckpk_admin on 04/05/2014(UTC)
theckpk_admin  
#34 Posted : 04 May 2014 22:40:15(UTC)
theckpk_admin

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Paul Charnley Go to Quoted Post
Back in the good Old Days at the ` Male Hen ` & in the back ground !!  

Hello everyone,

As the new landlord of The Cock, i personally feel privileged to have this opportunity to turn the business around and hopefully create a community environment fit for diners and drinkers to the surrounding area. After five busy weeks we seem to be on our way and everyone has been so supportive of what were doing, so thank you to you all. 

On another note. Mr Charnley, i have been recently putting out the feelers for any history or rare photography of the pub and i am delighted to of seen the photograph you recently shared. With your permission i would love to get this developed and framed for the pub wall? As a young man i am fascinated by the local history but disappointed much of it has been lost in time. If anyone has any written or pictorial history of The Cock from times past id be very interested to see/hear them.

Myself , my partner and my parents, thank you all once again for your support recently and to those that haven't visited yet, please do.

Rob 

Paul Charnley  
#35 Posted : 05 May 2014 10:12:00(UTC)
Paul Charnley

Man
France

Hi Rob , the main reason that I put that photo up was the lady behind the bar - BETTY TURPIN - ( Betty Driver ) of coronation street , but no comments on that seem to have been made !!! (must have been the sun glasses ) I can scan in a higher definition and Email if that helps , but I would have thought there must be much better photos of her in the village and by the pub ??? Will they now appear ??? Also around this time Else Tanner - (Pat Phoenix ) and Len Fairclough - (Peter Adamson ) were at the Navigation / Buxworth !!! A good time for pubs !!! Regards to all - Paul Charnley ..... W.B. born and ........ etc.

Edited by user 05 May 2014 21:23:35(UTC)  | Reason: Engineers could never speel ....