logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2009 14:38:49(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

At the moment there is a topic on the other side of the forum in which the good Cllr JonG has made mention of several ‘local’ golf clubs.

Sadly ours has gone but we did discuss it very briefly in the dying embers of the last forum.

It is worth revisiting the topic on this side of the forum I think.

First of all I have no photos of the course or the golfers and I would like to ask anyone out there to let us know if there are any photos in anybody’s collections. They simply must exist, surely.

I have lots of information about the golf club but as I say no photos. I’ll drip feed some of the information on here; I think it gets a bit overwhelming if it is all put on in one post.

I imagine you all know the location of the course but the land was not owned by the club; it was rented.
The landowner retained the right to graze cattle and sheep (not bulls or horses) on the land and should any damage be done to livestock in the field of play through being struck by a golf ball such damage should be made good.
A very interesting addition to the normal hazards one expects to encounter on a golf course. I’d like to see Tiger chipping on to the green over a couple of Friesian cows and saying to his caddy:
“Better give me the right club here pal cos I’ll have to pay for this old girl if I hit her.”
Then again Tiger might have enough dosh not to worry.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2009 18:20:06(UTC)
Gnatalee

R. S-S

My "reliable informant" says that he remembers Jack Ashworth of Bingswood Cottages was "managing" the course pre-war, and the same reliable informant used to do a bit of caddying on a Saturday afternoon for about 3/- or 4/- for 18 holes !  Unfortunately, we do not have photos to record this interesting pastime.

Those were the days ! 

Gnats  

Edited by user 06 August 2009 18:23:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Techy  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2009 21:25:28(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

I’d like to see Tiger chipping on to the green over a couple of Friesian cows and saying to his caddy:

“Better give me the right club here pal cos I’ll have to pay for this old girl if I hit her.”
Then again Tiger might have enough dosh not to worry.

R. S-S

Very funny RSS

High Peak Harry  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2009 07:21:42(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Not a bad attempt at humour, but all the same, best left to the professionals!

I'm with Mark Twain on this ' Golf is a good walk spoiled.' Although the location of the course had some stunning views, better than Chapel or either Buxton course not quite as good as New Mills. Sorry R. S-S.

This country doesn't really have the climate for sedate outdoor pursuits. Take the Ashes for example, if we win this test match and consequently the Ashes, the Aussies will claim the weather won it because so much time has been lost to rain. If Britain were 1,000 miles South West we would have a wonderful climate. Look at the Scilly Isles (a few people on here evidently come from there!) a much more pleasant climate. Oh, the other added bonus is you couldn't build a tunnel to Europe that would stretch that far, thereby stopping unwelcome visitors, by that I mean the French, not Afghan asylum seekers.

Slight Fred Drift, sorry about that. Must dash anyway, the wheels of industry need turning.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2009 12:48:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good afternoon to you Gnatalee,

I believe you were in Town earlier this week did you have a good day?

Yes you are correct Jack Ashworth was the green keeper and also the semi-professional. He ended up working for Whaley Council as full time Park Keeper.

It was actually an unusual 10 hole course but you could play 18 holes in this manner:

Hole 1 was played once, then Holes 2-9 were played then repeated again in the same order as Holes 10-17, finishing with Hole 18 which was played just once.

Holes 1 and 10 of the Golf Course were on the Club House side of the road and 2-9 on the other side of the road.

The names of the holes were:

1. Crest - 268 yards
2. Hope - 300 yards
3. Gulley - 192 yards
4. Dear Dear - 152 yards
5. West - 273 yards
6. View - 316 yards
7. Panorama - 148 yards
8. Wood - 384 yards
9. Wall - 318 yards
10. Home - 231 yards

It does make you wonder if the Tiger has ever played a Dear Dear hole and managed to avoid Daisy the cow but shot a Birdie.

I’ll dig a bit more out for you later Gnats.

As for you Harry; well if I were you I’d get my medication checked out.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2009 17:32:57(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good afternoon R. S-S

Thank you for that information - my "informant" is reading it at this minute and is VERY happy with what you have written - "very good" he says ! 

Didn't manage to get to Whaley after all  - am now aiming for next week when the local history display in the basement at Footsteps is taking place, thought I would kill two birds with one stone, as it were !

Gnats

ps:  Mr Trueman - love the new smilies

Edited by user 07 August 2009 17:35:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 15 August 2009 12:49:42(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

If anyone is at all interested below is an aerial view of Whaley Bridge Golf Course.

This is how you can see it today; take a picnic to ‘Fly Tip Lay-by’ and have a look over the wall or better still take a driver and see if you can make the 3rd green off the 2nd tee. It’s about 492 yards and my money would be on Tiger achieving it; cattle permitting.

R. S-S

Whaley Bridge Golf Course Layoiut[1] by you.

RockBanker  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2009 13:29:50(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I gave my mate Tiger a call, and he said he would be willing to give it a try. For personal appearences he normally expects a donation of at least $1m to his charitable foundation, plus expenses. As he is not back in the UK this year I guess it would be best to wait until next year when he is across for the Open, that would probably help keep the expenses down. How much do you think you will be able to get for the car that you won in George's competition? Otherwise I might be able to get my hands on a second-hand Iron Byron golf robot for a couple of hundred K, and we could set it up with Tiger's swing speed.

My main worry is the ditch across the 3rd fairway - That may have to be filled in.

Back into the realms of reality - Do you know the year that the course was first opened and when it closed?

RB
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
parabuild  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2010 07:27:48(UTC)
parabuild

Man

parabuild attached the following image(s):
Untitled-1.jpg
RockBanker  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2010 10:54:01(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks David

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 20 April 2010 19:19:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I note from Mr Parabuild’s archives that the fee for ladies in 1946 was 2 guineas.

If this is correct no wonder the Golf Club went bust as they had not increased their membership fees for at least 16 years.

See receipt below:

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 05 December 2010 11:52:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I have just found an old photo of Whaley Golf Club so I thought I might as well put it on to the history section of the forum.

Perhaps you may want to include this old sporting facility on your web site, Well Known Norm?

R. S-S

CllrJonG  
#13 Posted : 05 December 2010 16:28:32(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi Attached is a picture of Jack Ashworth, the former golf professional at Whaley Golf Club. It has been passed to me by someone with permission from the family.

I have been told that when Whaley Golf Club started, there were 9 holes, and Jack added another two.The map above only appears to show 10 holes though.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 05 December 2010 16:31:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
jack ashworth.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Neil Hardman  
#14 Posted : 17 January 2011 23:06:02(UTC)
Neil Hardman

Interested to read the details about the golf club. I was a member from about 1943 to early 1950's. Looking at the map of the golf course in a previous discussion, that was not as it was laid out then. There were 11 holes No 2 being a short one on the right of the road to close by the complex at the top of the main field. No 3 was where No 2 is shown, and No 4 was where No 3 is. No 5 was a long 500yds plus hole to the green of No 5 on the plan. No 6 was again a short hole towards No 7 which was a much longer hole than shown. 8, 9,10 were as shown, and 11 was a short hole from 10th green to 1st tee areas. I have done the best I can to alter the map, but cannot find a way to up load it!! It appears that I have up loaded the original map which I had altered and saved!!

If anyone has any records of competitions etc, then my father (Herbert Hardman) I believe won one or two in the period above.

I am sure that if you look carefully, you will see remains of the 2nd green.

Neil Hardman

Edited by user 17 January 2011 23:09:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Neil Hardman attached the following image(s):
whaley bridge golf club.jpg
parabuild  
#15 Posted : 17 January 2011 23:48:45(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A couple of hours ago I was looking at the Guardian archives and came across these cuttings.  From an earlier period I am afraid Neil, 1905 and 1906.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
10.8.1905.JPG
10.4.1906b.JPG
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 18 January 2011 15:45:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Is it possible for Jon or Admin to move or connect this to the existing/old thread? It is on page 2.
If that can be done thank you to whoever does it.

Welcome to the forum Neil and a very interesting post to start off with.
You say you were a member of the Golf Club in about 1943 and that was 68 years ago so how old would you have been when you joined in 1943?
You must have memories and perhaps photos of Whaley from that time perhaps you could share them with us.

Anyway back to your post on the Golf Club, the lay-out of the course and the number of holes.

Below is the opening page of the catalogue of sale of the Jodrell Trust Estates. The auction was held on November 14th 1923 at The Princes Cinema in Whaley and lot number 18 was Whaley Bridge Golf Course and Club House.

As the description of the Lot is on 2 pages I will type the description here in blue as usual:

Lot 18

Whaley Bridge Golf Course and Club House.

100a. Or. 13p
Or thereabouts.

Situate on a dry soil in an ideal position, varying from 900 to 1,000 feet above sea level, and commanding very fine views.
At the present time the Course consists of 10 excellent holes and 4 others partially formed all laid out as part of a scheme for a full 18 hole course, designed by Mr. James Braid and for which there is ample space.

I was not aware that there was ever any alteration to the 10 hole course but then I can not remember as far back as you Neil.

Originally holes 1 and 10 of the Golf Course were on the Club House side of the road and 2-9 on the other.

The club was formed at a meeting on February 14th 1906, attended by Messrs. F.G. Merry, W. Lawson, A. Hopwood and G.R. Bates. Only a week later a lease for land in the occupation of Mr Wm Eyre was signed. The rate was £20 per year.

The trophies were as follows:

- The Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell Cup
- The Colonel Cotton-Jodrell Cup
- The Colles Cup
- The Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell Ladies' Cup

I have no idea what became of any of these trophies and I have no photographs of them but bearing in mind the names of the trophies I would imagine they would be very impressive and also very valuable.

R. S-S

parabuild  
#17 Posted : 18 January 2011 22:13:40(UTC)
parabuild

Man

From The Manchester Guardian of 24th June 1919:

Whaley Bridge Extension

The Whaley Bridge Golf Club has decided to extend the nine holes course to eighteen holes, and already Braid has been over to inspect the new ground, which, like that now in use is interestingly undulating.  He spoke very highly of it's golfing possibilities and was particularly pleased with the quality of the turf.  All that the club is now waiting for is his lay-out scheme.  This extension, it should be stated, has been made possible by the financial support and the constant aid given by Lieutenant Colonel Ramsden, the ground landlord who has always taken the greatest personal interest in the club.  The extension will doubtless be followed by a large increase in membership.  The course, at any rate, will offer every inducement to the player who appreciates breezy uplands (the situation is a thousand feet above sea level) and ideal country surroundings

RockBanker  
#18 Posted : 19 January 2011 07:46:52(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Oh, what an opportunity that was lost. James Braid is considered one of the best golf course designers of the early 20th century. ( http://www.golfcoursearc...-Braid/1161/Default.aspx ).

davethescope  
#19 Posted : 19 January 2011 08:06:58(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Could you please explain, to a relatively young incomer, exactly where the golf club was?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
RockBanker  
#20 Posted : 19 January 2011 08:27:25(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

On Whaley Lane

http://www.bing.com/maps...re&q=whaley%20bridge

The main part of the course was on the RHS of the big bend to the right after you leave Whaley. The clubhouse (Still called "Golf House" or something similar) is on the left in the trees before you get to the bend, in the centre of the above map.

PS

If you look into the field on the RHS from the road you can still make out the remains of some of the tees and greens.

Edited by user 19 January 2011 08:32:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified