logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Curious  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2010 22:28:19(UTC)
Curious

Groups: Member
Woman

While searching the Manchester Guardian and Observer, I found this article on the Evacuees from Southend arriving at Chinley Station in June 1943. My Mum who was aged 6 at the time, was one of them. She remembers very well being very thirsty, she said the only drink she got was when they first set off was a drink of water that tasted like soot. I’ll try to get to New Mills Library to look at their archive to see if there was a photo of them arriving at Chinley in one of the local papers at that time – unless any Forum member has one they can share with us?

Curious
File Attachment(s):
Evacuees to Chinley 3Jun40.pdf (95kb) downloaded 79 time(s).
High Peak Harry  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2010 19:08:50(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Very interesting that Curious. My Grandparents lived at the top of New Mills in a farmhouse which had large cellars. They had evacuees, but from Manchester. They used to come and visit when I was a child and also came to my grandparents funerals when the unfortunate time came. They are still in touch with my older relatives and visit occasionally.

Do you think the same community spirit will exist in another 60 odd years?
Bagpussarah  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2011 02:59:58(UTC)
Bagpussarah

Thank you so much for posting this. My mum was evacuated from Southend on Sea to Whaley Bridge and I am trying to find out as much as possible about the people who were there at the same time she was. She is in her 80's now and still talks about her time there.