logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2010 08:16:42(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

There doesn't seem to be much local enthusiasm for this event.  The only site listed in High Peak being at St James Church in New Mills.  In the past it has been possible to visit the Transhipment Warehouse and locations in Buxton which are normally closed to the public. Very disappointing.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
h o d.jpg
barrwalk  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2010 11:57:15(UTC)
barrwalk

Groups: Member
Man

I agree with you parabuild. It is a real shame that 'we' are so negligent of our great heritage in Whaley Bridge.

As you know the greatest boost to our heritage would have been the Transhipment Warehouse (TSW)  Project, at the eye of our town - Whaley Wharf. It would have provided a really busy centre for both the community, businesses and tourism.

HOWEVER, as you may also know, it was lost by the 'greed' of our Town Councillors in the pursuit of BOTH the Bingswood Estate project and the main TSW Project. They grasped for all and finished up with absoluteley NOTHING. I was always taught that a 'bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' especially when you are 'hungry' and Whaley Bridge was, and still is, really 'hungry' for commercial, busness and community development. The TSW project was nearly reality and the public-money (E.M.D.A.) funding was designed for just such a project. They lost it by incompetence!

BUT unless you can stir the Whaley Eleven into action, or replace them, then nothing will change. We need RESULTS and not RHETORIC. It is outcomes that matter.

The consulatation for the TSW cost £50k and was not finished. The High Peak Borough 'Masterplan' that our councillors decided to amalgamate the TSW Project into, cost a further £64+k  and don't forget there have been TWO previous consultations that cost £??k and the many hours of officers time on all these failed projects. That;s a lot of tax payers money!

There is little hope and now no longer any community enthusiasm. It is a real shame and heads should 'roll' but will not I feel sure.

What could we have done even with the £10k that W.B. gave to the multi-million pound organisation British Waterways towards the resurfacing of the tow path to Bugsworth AND the £1k, donated to the other multi-million pound organisation Network Rail, to refurbish the station? Might we have had enough money to make attractive entrances to W.B. at our boundaries?

The new mini-guide is due to be republished I read. Last time it listed Whaley Bridge as the "Gateway to Bugsworth Basin". Now that was helpful don't you feel? Let's see if the new one does the same i.e. help direct people AWAY from Whaley.