logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shallcross  
#61 Posted : 16 August 2011 09:00:57(UTC)
shallcross

Groups: Member

shallcross attached the following image(s):
fern 01.jpg
Shallcross
shallcross  
#62 Posted : 16 August 2011 16:44:52(UTC)
shallcross

This was the view from the Quarry down into the valley

fern incline.jpg
Shallcross
Lady Madonna  
#63 Posted : 17 August 2011 01:14:49(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Fantastic photo Shallcross, it's a bit like the 'Great Cresta Run' without the snow. Probably not that bad going down if you kept your eyes shut!
Thanks Lady M.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#64 Posted : 21 August 2011 13:05:58(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

gritch  
#65 Posted : 23 August 2011 14:30:54(UTC)
gritch

#31 The water Board had to address this problem and so Contract No 7 was awarded to Joseph Parks and Son of Northwich to design and construct a footbridge across the valley that could be used when the valley was flooded

Attached is an advertisement which appeared in the Manchester Guardian dated November 4th 1933 inviting tenders for the construction of the suspension bridge, to which Joseph Parks and Son of Northwich were later appointed to conduct.

Gail

File Attachment(s):
Tender 1933.pdf (104kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
gritch  
#66 Posted : 27 August 2011 13:53:43(UTC)
gritch

I happened to stumble on this (see attached) and thought that it was appropriate for this topic .........

File Attachment(s):
Kinder.pdf (67kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
shallcross  
#67 Posted : 30 August 2011 07:34:08(UTC)
shallcross

IMG_0016.jpg
Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#68 Posted : 30 August 2011 13:33:14(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Here is a comparison of all the reservoirs that have been mentioned on this thread:

Lyme Park Supply:

Horse Coppice Reservoir:

Top Water Area:                               13 acres
Capacity:                                           73,000,000 gallons
Height of Embankment:                    70 feet
Length of Embankment:                   583 feet

Bollinhurst reservoir:

Top Water Area:                               14 and a half acres
Capacity:                                           84,500,000 gallons
Height of Embankment:                    70 feet
Length of Embankment:                   808 feet

Kinder Supply:

Top Water Area:                               43 acres
Capacity:                                           515,500,000 gallons
Height of Embankment:                    116 feet
Length of Embankment:                   1,158 feet

Goyt Valley Supply:

Fernilee Reservoir:

Top Water Area:                               86 acres
Capacity:                                           1,095,000,000 gallons
Height of Embankment:                    132 feet
Length of Embankment:                   720 feet
Maximum Depth:                               126 feet.

There are other water supplies that I will mention briefly because they do concern the Goyt Valley.

R. S-S

shallcross  
#69 Posted : 03 September 2011 22:49:56(UTC)
shallcross

Norm

There should be two images here the other is of The Puddle Bar December 1935 it must be to large can you display it please.

Edited by user 05 September 2011 08:46:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
IMG_0007.jpg (3,679kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
IMG_0001.jpg
Shallcross
Norm  
#70 Posted : 04 September 2011 08:41:09(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

The Puddle Bar December 1933

Norm

Norm attached the following image(s):
puddle.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#71 Posted : 06 September 2011 18:31:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Just behind the dam wall on Fernilee reservoir you will see what is known as the valve shaft.

It is the round building that sticks up above the water line and there is access via an iron walkway. Unfortunately the gate and door are both locked so you can’t get in.

If you walk by the building you will see that a lot of the stones, which came from Errwood Hall by the way, are painted green.
This was done during the war to prevent any of the ever alert Luftwaffe pilots from seeing it and deciding to drop a bomb on it perhaps resulting in the demolition of the reservoir and the loss of all the drinking water.

This must have seemed a very good idea at the time but surely any Luftwaffe pilot or squadrons of them even might not have noticed the newly camouflaged Valve Shaft but they would have certainly needed some windolene on their goggles if they failed to notice an 86 acre stretch of water held back by a completely straight line which was the dam wall.

I suspect it was a branch of Captain Mainwaring’s Home Guard who undertook the work.

R. S-S

Below is a photo of the Discharge Tunnel Bottom Heading just to show some of the conditions the men worked in.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#72 Posted : 07 September 2011 08:55:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

When the Goyt Valley and Kinder Schemes were drawn up to supply much needed water for the population it became apparent that some houses were too high to receive the water from those dams.
This mainly concerned the higher parts of Disley and so alternative arrangements and plans had to be made and these were carried out at the same time as the construction of Fernilee Reservoir.

If you remember on an earlier thread I described the quarry further up the Goyt Valley where Pickford’s the removal company started out in business. The water board engineers determined that this spot was high enough to create another new, hidden reservoir and take the water using gravity only to another new, hidden reservoir high on Disley tops.
Travelling from Whaley this is a few hundred yards past the Murder Stone on the left hand side. It was actually re-constructed by Henry Boot Limited of Sheffield in 1991.

But it was a bigger job in the 1930’s no doubt and how they did it I have no idea.

A concrete tank was cast at Goyt’s Clough to hold 250,000 gallons of water taken from the river and a cast iron 12 inch pipe was laid through whatever terrain they came across for seven and a half miles to Higher Disley.

And guess what? They got the levels spot on.

So that’s two more reservoirs within the scheme that few people even know about.

I am certain Shallcross has photos of the pipe laying on this section of the contract and maybe, if he has, he will allow us to see them on here.

In the meantime here is a photo of the approximate location.

R. S-S

RockBanker  
#73 Posted : 07 September 2011 10:28:57(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Thank you for that R-SS. I have often wondered its purpose. It is one of Mrs Rock Banker's and my favourite spots, with the reservoir overflow forming a delightful little cascade down to the stream below, and a couple of benches that are relatively midge-free in the summer, making a pleasant picnic spot.

At the risk of generating outrage from those who consider the photographic image to be sacred, I have taken the liberty of indicating, with a broad yellow line, the approximate location of the reservoir in your picture for those who may be inspired to search it out for themselves.
RockBanker attached the following image(s):
res1.jpg
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
shallcross  
#74 Posted : 11 September 2011 19:39:11(UTC)
shallcross

There are a numbr of photos that refer to the pipe laying on the old CHPR railway track I had wondered why they would need pipes laying above the water level of the reservoir and this is probably the reason why, to transport water from higher up the valley seems a logical reason.

IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
Shallcross
JonG  
#75 Posted : 18 September 2011 11:03:50(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

Someone has very kindly (and anonymously) sent me a copy of a document entitled Ianuguration of the Goyt Valley Supply - Thursday June 10th 1937, by Stockport Corporation Waterworks.

I will scan it in and make it available, but as it is a source for some of the information that is appearing in this fascinating thread, and as I dont wish to undermine the presentation of the information in the far more interesting way that it is being done, I will wait for the ok from Shallcross and RSS before doing so.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#76 Posted : 24 September 2011 15:14:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The water from the Reservoirs was now filtered using a Water Treatment Works rather than filter beds and Lehane, Mackenzie and Shand constructed the one at Fernilee. This is now sadly derelict.

This building was opened by Alderman George Padmore who also fired the first shot when the construction began years earlier.

Below is a photo of George taking a stroll across the access bridge which used to cross the stone overflow. (This bridge is also long gone).
Later George was presented with the key to the filter house door and once inside he was watched by a huge audience as he turned the cast iron filter vessels to release the water. This was greeted with much applause.

Take my word for it; it really was a huge crowd of people that gathered there that day.

R. S-S

Edited by user 28 September 2011 09:35:13(UTC)  | Reason: Removed Photo

gritch  
#77 Posted : 24 September 2011 19:27:35(UTC)
gritch

This topic is so interesting and thanks must go to R.S-S for initiating it. I think we have all learned much from this topic. The photographs  being posted are excellent examples of history in the making showing what a great engineering project this was.

I have attached an article which appeared in the Manchester Guardian in April 1936, approximately 12 months before the filter house was fully completed.

Gail

File Attachment(s):
April 1936 New Derbyshire 'Lake'.pdf (266kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
Norm  
#78 Posted : 27 September 2011 21:14:14(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

The water from the Reservoirs was now filtered using a Water Treatment Works rather than filter beds and Lehane, Mackenzie and Shand constructed the one at Fernilee. This is now sadly derelict.

This building was opened by Alderman George Padmore who also fired the first shot when the construction began years earlier.

Below is a photo of George taking a stroll across the access bridge which used to cross the stone overflow. (This bridge is also long gone).
Later George was presented with the key to the filter house door and once inside he was watched by a huge audience as he turned the cast iron filter vessels to release the water. This was greeted with much applause.

Take my word for it; it really was a huge crowd of people that gathered there that day.

R. S-S

Norm,

Can you, as always, scan my photo and put it below and then I will delete mine so that nothing is lost.
Thank you.

There must be a way we can teach you to post piccies.

Norm attached the following image(s):
6175885774_c68807de12_b.jpg
Lady Madonna  
#79 Posted : 28 September 2011 01:12:25(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi Norm, If you teach R S-S to post pictures could I have lessons as well, I have only just found the smiley faces but then forget where I found them!!
People of a certain age, of the fair haired persausion and having partaken of the odd glass have problems too.
Thanks Lady M.

Found them again

Edited by user 28 September 2011 01:15:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gio  
#80 Posted : 29 September 2011 00:37:44(UTC)
Gio

Man

Absolutely brilliant stuff Shallcross and RSS.