logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<34567>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#81 Posted : 29 September 2011 17:15:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Gail,

There is a bit more information to come on the Fernilee part of the Goyt Valley and quite a lot of photos that I have and I am sure Shallcross will have a lot more besides.

Then we will briefly discuss the construction of Errwood. Some of this has been touched upon on other threads such as Errwood Hall so I really don’t know how Norm is going to put it all together.
I do have some nice photos of Goyt’s Bridge, the tiny hamlet that was submerged below Errwood.
I don’t know if these photos have been seen before but they are not the ones that you see on postcards from time to time on ebay.

Can I just say that your input on this thread has been absolutely top drawer? You have posted many articles that I have never seen before and I for one have found them really interesting and enjoyable.
I have copied each one and attached them all to my own collection which has grown substantially thanks to you.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#82 Posted : 30 September 2011 17:06:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

After George Padmore had inspected the Reservoir, the cottages and the outside of the Treatment Works then he was officially given the key to the Filter House.

He led the invited guests inside and after many speeches he was given the honour of turning on the water.

Here he is sat in front of the great vessels listening to the speeches before the switch on.

Afterwards all the invited guests were given tea and cakes.

I have been unable to find out if the party went as far as the suspension bridge but I like to think they did.

R. S-S

Edited by user 02 October 2011 12:04:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#83 Posted : 30 September 2011 19:57:57(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Norm attached the following image(s):
6197788039_29676138e1_b.jpg
shallcross  
#84 Posted : 30 September 2011 20:38:05(UTC)
shallcross

Filter House

Shallcross
shallcross  
#85 Posted : 30 September 2011 20:42:40(UTC)
shallcross

shallcross attached the following image(s):
img_0011.jpg
Shallcross
gritch  
#86 Posted : 30 September 2011 21:54:54(UTC)
gritch

Many thanks for your kind words R.S-S.

I'm  pleased to be involved in this fascinating topic which is now further enhanced with the addition of the latest photos. I think everyone deserves a pat on the back for their contributions....well done to all involved !  

the information below is what I have managed to unearth from a google books search using a copy and paste method on phrases within article as only ‘snippet’ information is shown on search. 

"Concrete and constructional engineering"    Volume 33...... published 1938

“The structure shown on this page is a filter house recently constructed by the F.C. Construction Co. Ltd, as subcontractors to Lehane Mackenzie and Shand Ltd for the Stockport Corporation at the Fernilee reservoir in the Goyt Valley. Lehane and Mackenzie the ground floor, and first floor accommodates the heating apparatus, offices, laboratory, chemical store, and dosing tanks for the unfiltered water as received from the reservoir. The foundations were taken down to shale at a maximum depth of 10 ft. below ground level. The structure Shand, Ltd., were also the contractors for the dam, excavation, and pipe work. .....The filter house is 290 ft. long by 50 ft. wide with a maximum height of 37 ft. above ground level. It is designed to take 32 high-pressure filters in each of the two wings. A centre block with basement, is in three separate units, the wings being separated from the central block by a f-in. expansion joint. The structure consists entirely of reinforced concrete, the roof being designed as a fixed arch with a clear span of 46 ft. 6 in. The structure has not been treated with any special rendering, but all faces, arrises, and corners have........”

Edited by user 30 September 2011 22:37:46(UTC)  | Reason: added info

shallcross  
#87 Posted : 05 October 2011 20:27:31(UTC)
shallcross

Filter House Interior 1970s

Edited by user 05 October 2011 22:30:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Filter Col.jpg
Shallcross
shallcross  
#88 Posted : 05 October 2011 20:31:44(UTC)
shallcross

IMG_0025.jpg
Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#89 Posted : 06 October 2011 08:34:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning Shallcrosss,

I know time plays tricks with your memory but I have worked within all the Treatment Works and more than ever at Fernilee and Kinder but I am amazed at just how many vessels there are in the photo.

My recollection was of just a few.

But as I say time takes its toll.

R. S-S

Don’t tell me you have a photo of Harold Smith.

shallcross  
#90 Posted : 08 October 2011 11:36:24(UTC)
shallcross

No not of Harold Smith one or two of the other workers though, heres another view from inside The Filter House

IMG_0008.jpg
Shallcross
Lady Madonna  
#91 Posted : 11 October 2011 02:41:49(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Does anyone remember Horace Oldham (who looked like an actor in 'All gas & Gaitors & Oh Brorther!) who lived in the houses up from the Treatment Works who I think worked for the Water Board.
The pictures are all fantastic, I was given a tour of the works during the 1980's when comparing it to White Hall Centre for a college course White Hall (on Long Hill) does not have mains water or sewage and had its own Treatment Plant.
Keep up the good work all.
Thanks Lady M.
Curious  
#92 Posted : 11 October 2011 08:38:47(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Good Morning Lady M

I remember Horace Oldham. He was amongst those trying to stop the Mass Trespass on Kinder Scout in 1932 – if you click the attached link there’s a picture of him – and yes, you are right, he did look like the chap from All Gas and Gaiters and Oh Brother.

Mrs C

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#93 Posted : 11 October 2011 12:35:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon My Lady and also to you Mrs C,

It’s very nice to have the two of you together.

The story of the flooding of the Goyt Valley brings together several topics that have been on here before:

There are, of course, the various construction projects which have been well covered and discussed on this thread.

But contained within it was also the loss of farms which have been highlighted by Shallcross and Gail.
There has been a separate thread about the suspension bridge and also two about the Chilworth Powder Mill that was purchased by the Water Board prior to construction.

Then there has been a very large thread on Errwood Hall which also, needlessly, fell foul of the Water Board and was quickly demolished.
By the way you didn’t happen to live there did you Lady M?

When Errwood Reservoir was constructed in the late 1960’s other buildings of note were also lost; particularly the hamlet of Goyt’s Bridge.
There were literally hundreds if not thousands of postcards produced of Goyt’s Bridge and the famous Stepping Stones.

George produced some photos a couple of years ago of the filling of Errwood and we need to have them reproduced on this thread.
I have put the traditional photos of Goyt’s Bridge and the Stepping Stones somewhere on the forum and again they need reproducing here.
I’ll have a word with Well Known Norm about doing this.

I also have some photos of Goyt’s Bridge that have not been on here and have not been used as postcards.
I shall put these on here later on.

In the meantime, all the best to you two ladies.
I hope you are both keeping well.

R. S-S
taproom  
#94 Posted : 16 October 2011 09:01:49(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

I do have some nice photos of Goyt’s Bridge, the tiny hamlet that was submerged below Errwood.
I don’t know if these photos have been seen before but they are not the ones that you see on postcards from time to time on ebay.

R. S-S

A not too chocolate box image of “The Stepping Stones”. Wonder if the two males were local residents.
taproom attached the following image(s):
bridge.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#95 Posted : 19 October 2011 13:46:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The Water Board had planned two reservoirs in the Dale of Goyt or Goyt Valley as it is now known.

Most people think Errwood was thought of years after Fernilee to meet the rising demand for water.

But both Reservoirs were on the drawing board at the same time. The Goyt Valley was always going to have Errwood Reservoir above Fernilee.

Our good friend George is now able to post on the forum again and I remember he put some photos on showing the filling of Errwood some time ago.
Could I ask you to repost those photos George?
I will then show some photos of the buildings that were either demolished or submerged under the reservoir.

R. S-S

Just going off topic for a moment but Toddbrook had been planned with two reservoirs (Reservoir 1 and Reservoir 2) but Reservoir 2 was never built due to objections from Mr Brocklehurst of Gap House when he found it would encroach on to his land.
But we would have had a similar scene in Whaley as to the Goyt Valley although on a much smaller scale.
george  
#96 Posted : 19 October 2011 16:48:57(UTC)
george

I'll see if  can remember how add attachments after not being able to post for some months.

File Attachment(s):
scan0020.jpg (457kb) downloaded 148 time(s).
scan0021.jpg (457kb) downloaded 131 time(s).
scan0022.jpg (420kb) downloaded 126 time(s).
scan0023.jpg (332kb) downloaded 135 time(s).
scan0025.jpg (278kb) downloaded 139 time(s).
george attached the following image(s):
scan0024.jpg
gritch  
#97 Posted : 19 October 2011 20:37:16(UTC)
gritch

Great photos appearing ...yet again.
Thank you George.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#98 Posted : 20 October 2011 08:45:33(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Yes indeed Gail,

Thank you George.

I wonder if WKN can capture them, as he calls it, and put them on so that we don’t have to open an attachment.

There is much to discuss about them.

R. S-S
hillside  
#99 Posted : 20 October 2011 14:04:06(UTC)

Groups: Guest

By Geogrge:

hillside attached the following image(s):
g1.jpg
g2.jpg
g3.jpg
g4.jpg
g5.jpg
g5.jpg
g6.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#100 Posted : 25 October 2011 20:35:42(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The photos that George has kindly put on this thread about the filling of Errwood Reservoir show how the road used to go through the Valley. The road that you now drive on at the side of Errwood was part of the building contract. As you drive along that road you come to the bridge; this was where the drive to Errwood Hall originally was.
You then come to the new car park and a bit further on (about a couple of hundred yards or so) if you look over the wall on your left you can still see the old original tarmacadamed road. You can see even more of it when the water levels drop in a dry spell.
On the left hand side of George’s photo you can just see Sandy Lane that starts at the top of the Bunsal Incline but is now blocked off. This was one of the main roads into the Valley and from there up to Errwood Hall itself.

I do not know when the hamlet of Goyt’s Bridge was demolished but I suspect it was in the 1930’s. I am sure Shallcross will have better information on this for us.

In the meantime here is a snapshot of a car being driven to Goyt’s Bridge on the road in George’s photo.
Once again I am certain Buggyite will know the make and year of the car and knowing him possibly the driver.

R. S-S

Edited by user 26 October 2011 08:58:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified