logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages«<1920212223>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#401 Posted : 28 October 2011 22:03:05(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

The Dog and Partridge in Wilson's days.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
D-&-P.jpg
parabuild  
#402 Posted : 28 October 2011 23:46:38(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The Goyt when still a Vaux house

parabuild attached the following image(s):
64.jpg
Horwich Ender  
#403 Posted : 30 October 2011 20:10:05(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Great photo's Parabuild.

I knew you wouldn't let us down.

More photo's for your album Well Known Norm.

gritch  
#404 Posted : 02 November 2011 10:41:56(UTC)
gritch

Further to my post #365  "Contacted Cheshire Archives regarding the 'Leases of Yeardsley demesne'  date: 1665-1679 and the 'Survey of Yeardsley Estate'  date: c.1849  which includes Swann Inn, Orchard Field Farm and Jodrell Arms and for anything else which might mention the  "Bull's Head" and the "Swan(n) Inn". I will inform of any reply received."

I received this reply yesterday "......... I have checked the two documents you found on our online catalogue. DRH 80/10 are 17th century deeds relating to Yeardsley Hall and associated buildings, within the scope of a free ten minute search I did not have time to scrutinise the document to see if the Swan Inn was named. DDX 346 Plan 9 is in a small green leather bound volume, with finely drawn plans and details of occupiers in c1849. The occupier of Swan Inn is given as Widow Johnson, buildings and fields are listed."

Gail

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#405 Posted : 01 December 2011 17:06:58(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good afternoon HE,

Do you know what the more contributions you put on this forum the more you intrigue me?

I certainly have no idea who you are but I must know you; especially in the light of your most recent contribution on another thread.
And although I haven’t the faintest idea who you are I feel sure that you know exactly who I am. Would I be correct in that assumption?

Right back to business and on this most remarkable of threads which in my book just goes to show that the populous of Whaley Bridge are completely obsessed with pubs and drink.
I would not go so far as to say they are all in Lady Madonna’s class when it comes to knocking back a few gills but drinkers they undoubtedly are.
The Churchy thread has, to be honest, been something of a flop and viewing figures have been most disappointing to say the least but add something to this thread and people are almost knocking the doors down to see what’s happening.

Anyway I did promise you a photo of a pub in our beloved Horwich End and it is an old one of the New Inn.
Firstly I’ll post a recent but oldish photo of the New Inn just for comparison purposes and then the older version.
I hope you will like it.

R. S-S

Edited by user 04 December 2011 12:16:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#406 Posted : 01 December 2011 18:10:14(UTC)
Norm

Man

The two photographs from previous post

Edited by user 04 December 2011 17:24:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm attached the following image(s):
New Inn 1.jpg
New Inn 2.jpg
Horwich Ender  
#407 Posted : 04 December 2011 17:18:16(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S

With reference to your comment “I feel sure that you know exactly who I am” I can inform you I have no idea who you are but if your contributions on this forum are anything to go by I can only imagine you are a top bloke ( I am assuming you are male).

Yet again you have delivered on your promise of a photo of a Horwich End pub, in fact you have posted two. Thank you.

You continue to amaze me with your local knowledge and collection of historical photo's and your latest contribution is no exception.

The second photo is one I certainly haven't seen before and is terrific. Have you any idea of the year the picture was taken?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#408 Posted : 11 December 2011 15:24:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good afternoon to you Horwich Ender,

Well I say good afternoon but it is truly dreadful as far as the weather goes.

So I am very much confined to barracks at the moment and I have spent a bit of my time trying to fathom out the problem with your Church thread, which I am sure you will agree, has been nothing short of a flop. Especially when compared to your Pub thread which has been such a massive hit.

I can only come up with one answer and it is not to my liking at all:

If a Pub comes up for sale and is to be converted to housing there are almost demonstrations from the off on the streets of Whaley.
On the other hand if a place of worship comes up for sale and is to be converted to housing you won’t hear a squeak from anybody.
I can only put this down to the fact that the majority of the good folk of Whaley use the Pub as their place of worship.
It is a very sad sign of the times.

You are almost compelled to use the Church on occasions: you are usually christened there, get wed there and are finally buried there. So that’s about a minimum of three visits and I’m not counting the times you go to other christenings, weddings and funerals.
The pub you do not have to visit once. You need never step inside the front door of one. But the pubs are all packed to the rafters and the churches are empty.

So we have a problem with the way things have worked out and as I say sadly it is not for the best.

But I shall have one final attempt to change the minds of the drink sodden wretches that are both pub goers and forum readers. Yes I mean you for one Lady Madonna.

So here is a photo that contains both a church and a pub:

St. James’ Church, Taxal and the Royal Oak, Taxal.

Now we know that the Royal Oak is now a private house and Taxal church is still a church so if we had a poll how many do you think would like to visit the Royal Oak or the Chimes as it was latterly known for a gallon of best but the occupiers of the pub would have to seek alternative accommodation. As they liked living in Taxal and the only suitable property was the local Church they would be granted permission to convert it into a house.
How many of the local population would be in favour of the above scheme?
Quite a few I think.

R. S-S

Thanks, Norm

Edited by user 23 December 2011 16:48:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#409 Posted : 11 December 2011 15:30:06(UTC)
Norm

Man

Photo from previous post.
Taxal.jpg
Lady Madonna  
#410 Posted : 13 December 2011 01:18:52(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi R. S-S,
I am back from parts afar and am dismayed to see I am now portrayed as drunken wench! I feel (just putting my glass down) that the record must be set straight, I am sure Sherry Trifle, Chocolate Liquors & the left over cooking red do not make me a Sot!!
However back to the thread (whilst I still can) previously I asked if the 'Board Inn' could have been called the 'Nelsons Arms' after finding it refered to as such in some old paperwork. I can now come back after speaking to one who knows that the pub was indeed the 'Nelsons Arms' until an extension was built on it, following this coach & horses used to stop and travellers could 'board' for the night, overtime it became known as the Board Inn. I am a little unsure of the dates but it would be around the early 1800's.
Refering to the picture of Taxal church how well kept it looks and not a donkey in sight.
Lady M.
Horwich Ender  
#411 Posted : 13 December 2011 17:14:16(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S

Thank you for posting another fantastic photo. This time of a pub and a church!

It is a sad state of affairs when pubs are valued more highly than places of worship and I don't think the example being set by our great leader Chairman Jon The Whaley One is a very good one. However, I suppose he's doing his bit to keep Whaley's pubs open so I don't think we can criticise too much.

You have compared the reasons for visiting a pub with those of a church but if you want a combined effect I’ve been told the atmosphere and attendance in the White Hart these days is more akin to a church than a pub.

I must admit I have been disappointed with the response to the Church Thread and I can only agree with you when you say it's been nothing short of a flop. Even Well Known Norm has given up on transferring the photo's from the forum to his Photo Album in the Local History Site.

Finally, what do you think of Lady Madonna's statement that the Board Inn used to be called the “Nelsons Arms”? You've got to be careful with Lady M, she does have access to a lot of very interesting historical information but you never know just how much of the falling down liquid she's consumed. 

RockBanker  
#412 Posted : 13 December 2011 22:19:26(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I note that the "Lord Nelson" was a C19th Manchester to Nottingham stage coach, via Buxton, Bakewell and Derby. It would not be inconceivable that pubs on its route might become known after the service.

http://www.manchester-family-history-research.co.uk/new_page_23.htm

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Lady Madonna  
#413 Posted : 15 December 2011 01:29:45(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Dear Horwich Ender,
It was hardly any, I had just trod on a few apples & they turned ito a glass of cider, so not quite the hard stuff!!
Lady M.
Norm  
#414 Posted : 20 December 2011 17:46:06(UTC)
Norm

Man

Horwich Ender wrote:

I must admit I have been disappointed with the response to the Church Thread and I can only agree with you when you say it's been nothing short of a flop. Even Well Known Norm has given up on transferring the photo's from the forum to his Photo Album in the Local History Site.

Don't worry H E, I have been a bit busy lately. I am going to

a) Have a purge and add a lot

b) Put them in a more meaningful order.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#415 Posted : 15 January 2012 11:19:49(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Morning Horwich Ender,

I feel I have been neglecting you somewhat of late.
I think things have gone wrong since the challenge was laid down by Lady Madonna to partake in a tag team mud wrestling bout on the football field against herself and Mrs Curious.
She even went as far as to liken me to Giant Haystacks, which is well below the belt, and I did not seem to have a partner in the bout just well Known Norm as my cuts and towel man.
Anyway I have thought long and hard about accepting the challenge and I am afraid that, on this occasion, I will sadly have to decline.
It’s too frosty for a start and the mud might not be of the right consistency. But the very thought of being pitted against those two armed, no doubt, with very fearsome furry purses has proved just too much.

So I am back on the history side and on your favourite topic of Ale Houses.

Here’s an old one of the Railway:

R. S-S

As usual please Norm >

Edited by user 20 January 2012 17:47:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#416 Posted : 15 January 2012 11:33:17(UTC)
Norm

Man

Photo from previous post

6700301533_3621c32644_z.jpg
Horwich Ender  
#417 Posted : 19 January 2012 17:17:22(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S

I am sorry to hear you have decided to decline the offer of a mud wrestling bout on the football field.

I must admit there was a part of me that was looking forward to attending to Mrs Curious and Lady Madonna's furry purses. However, for the time being I will have to settle for viewing your fantastic photo of the Railway. 

Many thanks for posting it.

Another photo for your album Well Known Norm.

Lady Madonna  
#418 Posted : 21 January 2012 02:35:14(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi R. S-S,
Sorry to hear that you must decline the proposed mud wrestling, a brace of furry purses is obviously a 'round' too far for a gentleman with such knowledge of Public Houses!
Lady M

Edited by user 21 January 2012 02:35:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JonG  
#419 Posted : 07 April 2012 02:31:53(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I thank Mr Anonymouse once again and pass on a picture he has sent sent showing the White Hart in 1928. For those of you with cameras who wish to capture things, I suggest you take some snaps as it is today, as there are a  number of changes planned in the near future to the exerior and the interior of the building following the welcome arrival of the new landlords.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 07 April 2012 12:32:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JonG attached the following image(s):
whitehart1928.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Horwich Ender  
#420 Posted : 19 April 2012 19:53:25(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening. 

Another great photo of the White Hart which also shows the Co-op Drapery which I can't remember being on this forum before.

Many thanks once again to Mr Anonymouse and Chairman Jon the Whaley One for sharing your photographs.