logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
deazy69  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2012 20:12:58(UTC)
deazy69

Groups: Member

Please join us on Saturday 9th June 2012 for a FREE film showing as part of the Whaley Water Weekend

"Painted Boats"

Charles Crichton, one of Ealing Studios’ most popular filmmakers, directs this charming tale. Filmed in 1944, Painted Boats is an incredibly endearing docudrama that follows in great detail life upon the canals of Britain and the colourful characters that call it home. Running time 61 mins.

The Uniting Church Whaley Bridge

Tea, coffee and cake from 3.30pm. Film screening at 4pm

To reserve tickets contact whaleyfilms@hotmail.co.uk or 07531 982995.

Tickets also available on the door on the day.

“If you’re a fan of waterways, interested in British history, a film buff or just keen on cake then this is the summer date you can’t miss”.

Edited by user 28 May 2012 20:13:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

annescot  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2012 21:33:03(UTC)
annescot

Well done - great film choice for the occasion.

I heard lots of positive comments about the film, the enthusiasm matched by people buying cakes to take home for their tea.

Do let us know how much money was raised for the Stockport Canalboat Trust from the donations people made for the tea, coffee  & cakes. Hopefully this will help with the running costs of the boat & continued access to canalboat trips for the disabled.  

Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2012 22:22:26(UTC)
Gnatalee

May I echo, as a visitor today, the sentiments in the previous post.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film Painted Boats. It was typical of what I remember as an interesting informative "B" movie of the fifties - nostalgia reigned !! My particular interest was that my G.Grandfather was born into a canal boating family and that is what brought them to Whaley - the canal !!

We made the 100 mile round trip to visit W3 and watch this film and found everything well worth the visit ! I was impressed at how well-attended the film event was. How great that such events are so well supported.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to attend - I will keep my eyes peeled for future events.

Gnats

PS Forgot to say that the rhubarb and ginger cake was ace !!

Edited by user 09 June 2012 22:23:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

clarip  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2012 17:53:54(UTC)
clarip

So glad that people enjoyed the film - and the cakes.  We were really pleased that so many people came out on such a miserable wet day (truly Whaley Water Weekend!).  Generous donations meant that we will be giving the Stockport Canalboat Trust a cheque for £95.44 - thanks everyone.

deazy69  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2012 18:36:49(UTC)
deazy69

It was great that we had so many people attend. I've had people stop me in the street to say how much they enjoyed the film and I think even more so the cakes!!

So glad that your mammoth round trip was worth it gnatalee!! That's dedication!

We hope to put on other special events over the coming months.