logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2013 07:29:38(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
shallcross  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2013 15:36:34(UTC)
shallcross

Groups: Member

Well Rockbanker

I am surprised no one has commented on this post

It's quiet a story and just shows what many people went through to find their peace, sharks following the ship for days sounds as if this wasn't the first death on board.

The Mormon faith was extremely active in the later parts of the 1800s and also the early parts of the 1900s, they  recruited around the country for converts to the faith and of course to encourage travel to Utah and help further the word of Joseph Smith, you can still find many original  postcards from 1900 onwards depicting the good in the  LDS and the works and belief of the Mormon Faith. it obviously attracted the Beard family from Whaley, I have recently had contact with Percy Beards daughter (Beards Joiners Wharf Rd) I will show her this link I am sure she will be interested.

This will of course  have been prepared by one of his decendants, as part of The Mormon faith is to trace your family tree and baptize all preceding relatives into the faith, the LDS site is a great tool to aid the tracing of family history.

I don't follow this faith but I do agree that everyone should try and discover where their roots lie, we are all part of history and history is part of us.

Shallcross
wonderwhy  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2013 12:08:45(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I found this post very interesting as one of my ancestors a G.G. Uncle emmigrated to Idaho in the 1900’s. He was in fact a coal miner from a large family in Disley. My assumption was that it was an employment situation due to the decline in the coal mining industry at that time. I was wrong as I later discovered, he had in fact been converted to the Mormon faith. Which Shallcross points out was a force to be recond with at that time.

I tracked him down on the Latter-day Saints Website and in fact found an American cousin. Below is a copy of our first correspondence. Later I received a great many documents including what is known as John Charles’s Day Book full of family dates and of course religious events at his church.

John Charles Thompson as I wrote was from Disley his Wife Margaret Brindley from Wild-Boar-Clough. My contact a few years back advised me that they now have in excess of 1200 descendants in the USA

Edited by user 28 January 2013 12:59:47(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

wonderwhy attached the following image(s):
tree.jpg