logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob Bowker  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2009 09:30:51(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Groups: Member

Had a knock on the door last evening when it was well dark, and when I answered was met by a rather dodgy looking chap who produced an 'identity badge', and pronounced that he had just got out of prison ( didn't qualify whether he had escaped or been released), and he had a bag of wares he was trying to sell. I don't know what was in the bag, but it is usually dusters.  Second time in a few weeks.

Anyway, I didn't buy and he seemed a bit annoyed. This was like water off a ducks back to me, but I should imagine some old girl feeling quite intimidated by this especially at night time.

Does anyone know what the set up is with these guys? Is ther some sort of ringmaster involved?

Incidentally, I have employed ex-offenders in my time and found some good workers so do believe in giving a second chance (depended on the crime i.e. didn't make an ex embezzler company accountant), but don't think that door to door selling like this is a good idea.

george  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2009 11:01:38(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Bob

I think we had him also about 6.30, my wife answered the door. The point you made is very important so i have phoned 0345 123 33 33 telling the police of the occurance, I didn't have much information, if you can describe him or saw a vehicle you may like to phone them and pass on the info.

lord cornflake  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2009 18:27:06(UTC)
lord cornflake

I had them at Horwich End at around 4.30pm I was getting my son out of bed at the time so made my excuses.I have to say he did not look happy.But i suppose at the end of the day there only trying to make a few bob to get by.

parabuild  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2009 22:13:37(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I've had such people at the door in the past. They appeared to be carrying genuine I D but did not have anything for sale that was of any interest to me.  It seems that there are similar operations in other places and not always entirely legal.  I wish them well if they are supported by a legitimate organisation.

SOUTH Wales Police are reminding householders to be alert and cautious about door-to-door salespeople who are calling at houses offering to sell items such as household cleaning goods, for example chamois leather cloths and dusters.

The reminder follows a number of incidents in the Vale of Glamorgan when police have been contacted following visits to houses by men describing themselves as ex-offenders and offering products for sale from large holdalls they are carrying with them.

It is believed that these people are operating without the appropriate Peddlers’ Certificates which should be issued by the relevant local authority.

PCSO Nicola Smith of the Gibbonsdown Neighbourhood Policing team said: “Unscrupulous doorstep sellers will often pressurise you into buying goods you do not want or even distract you whilst an accomplice burgles your house. We would also like to ask the public to be vigilant and to look after their older neighbours to try and prevent these incidents from happening.

“Members of the public are reminded not to allow anyone into their homes and always to ask for the appropriate identification.

“If you are called upon by these men, do not buy from them and call the police. “

snoopy  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2009 22:34:33(UTC)
snoopy

As we all agree these people need help, and after doing the time deserve it (help that is)

But I find it hard to believe that this is a sensible way to go about about it. Arriving in the dark etc etc. If this is a proper scheme then I feel it is not a wise one.

Bob Bowker  
#6 Posted : 29 October 2009 10:02:37(UTC)
Bob Bowker

I have heard that in other areas, these guys arrive in a mini-bus and are dropped off in various locations, spend the day 'on the knocker' and get picked up later. No doubt a substantial chunk of their meagre takings, (how many dusters for a £) going to the organiser/ringmaster,leaving these guys totally hacked off and thinking that going back to crime is more fruitful.

I guess the real criminals here are the people who hoodwink these 'unfortunates' into believing that this is the way forward.

grhgrn  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2013 21:22:33(UTC)
grhgrn

United Kingdom

i had one round in cambridgeshire
moogie  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2013 10:56:02(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
We had one round before Christmas, he had a ID card etc, and gave quite a long speech, altho he stated he was ex army and was due to be de mobbed etc ....

i purchased a feather duster....I was even couple £ short ....he let me off.....

I was just going out and found extra pennies in the car.....so went after him and paid up...

he was made up!...

Id be non-plused having to hawk that bag round all day......

Best not tar them all with the same brush...........at least their making the effort to get out there and give something a try rather than sponge and sit on it watching daytime TV.....