logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
awalker  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2012 14:44:24(UTC)
awalker

Groups: Member

Hi all, im currently researching some ancestors - the Exleys .

Who in roughly 1880 -1930's lived in the whaley Bridge/ taxal area. I know a little bit about them from what my mother was told as a child and searching ancestry websites.Ive managed to find about 3 generations.  I know they where heavily invloved in the textile mills , as alot of them stated mill weaver/ looming, managers, clerks. i know a few died in the wars, as ive found the memorials for them. I have a few records of deaths and baptism (thanks to the disley.net website). 

Does anyone have any information of the mill they all worked at , it says on census records "bolton manufactoring"? .

I have one family tale that id really love to find out if its true ..its that they owned the first car in whaley bridge ? my gran has an old picture of her inlaws around a car (unfortunetly i dont have a copy of this picture other wise i would post it up for everyone to see, off memory i know it has john william exley and percy exley in it)

Does anyone know where an oak dene /dine /dean house is/was; as john william exley, wife and children lived there at the time of 1911 census  ??

Id love any information  on the exleys or the mill. If there is any decendants of exleys id love to put you on my tree. Biggrin

Amy

pensionman  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2012 16:47:34(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I think there is an Oakdene on Start Lane, but not 100% sure.

awalker  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2012 08:49:06(UTC)
awalker

Thanks . ive tried having a search on google for property on start lane but with no luck for oakdene. i think ill have to walk down it and see if the house is there. ill let you know if i find it .
gritch  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2012 09:59:43(UTC)
gritch

Try Reservoir Road. There is a house with that name according to a general google search

Edited by user 13 September 2012 10:01:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2012 17:48:39(UTC)
shallcross

Hi

The House you are looking for is certainly on Reservoir Road if you look at the next page of the 1911 Census it tells you what road it is on, as the Exley family lived only two entries away from Whaley Hall that should give you some idea, dont forget if you go and look that other properties have been built in between since the census was taken.

As for the first Car, well those houses are with out doubt prestige enough to have had early cars although I was always told that Dr Allan had the first car in Whaley (he too lived on Reservoir Road) and the said car does appear on early photos taken by his wife, outside Turners and The Shady Oak.

All my rellys were not wealthy enough although some of the Shirt family did live on Reservoir Road but as the water baliffe, so in rented.

Good luck with your family research, please do let us all know what you uncover.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Whaley Bridge - Reservoir 002.jpg
Shallcross
awalker  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2012 18:04:51(UTC)
awalker

Hi ,that picture is great Biggrin . i never knew the next page showed the cover page of the census. sigh. i just clicked next and the property is another oak dene- lived in by the mason family +servant. oak dene must be a semi detacthed house then? the property on the other side bewteen the exleys and whaley hall is a brookfield house . which ive found on google maps. if oak dene is semi detatched it might be this (https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Whaley+Bridge+SK23+7DQ&hl=en&ll=53.327105,-1.983805&spn=0.015327,0.045447&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=7.941103,23.269043&oq=sk23+&hnear=Whaley+Bridge+SK23+7DQ,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=53.328583,-1.98653&panoid=yoNzLjJZ0n3l82s8HzMIPg&cbp=12,134.24,,0,3.4&z=15)
which would tie in with ""Oakdene" 4 Reservoir Road" as the house on the left is number 2 .

i did just find this on my google searches http://homepages.rootswe...SchoolsWhaleyBridge.htm. Its a list of some pupils at whaley bridge roughly from 1892 -1910 . it also states john exley living on that road.
awalker  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2012 18:20:25(UTC)
awalker

Hiya just to let you know i visited the house on reservoir road ,and the gate post confirms it.
dont know if anyone is interested but just found this web page . its a list of some property, owners and occupiers in the area; dates pre 1900 -1913. ( http://www.chapel-en-le-...gov.uk/ratevaluation.htm )
awalker  
#8 Posted : 24 November 2012 14:36:01(UTC)
awalker

Hi everyone , i found the picture of them infront of the car!.. i dont know what model car is it yet , so if anyone knows feel free to pipe up and tell me. Does anyone know what the building in the background is ???it looks like a church

bridgestreet  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2012 16:35:31(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Top right landscape??

bridgestreet attached the following image(s):
wbcar.jpg
bridgestreet  
#10 Posted : 24 November 2012 16:52:36(UTC)

Groups: Guest

awalker wrote:
Hiya just to let you know i visited the house on reservoir road ,and the gate post confirms it.
dont know if anyone is interested but just found this web page . its a list of some property, owners and occupiers in the area; dates pre 1900 -1913. ( http://www.chapel-en-le-...gov.uk/ratevaluation.htm )

bridgestreet attached the following image(s):
oakd.jpg
awalker  
#11 Posted : 24 November 2012 19:23:06(UTC)
awalker

bridgestreet wrote:

Top right landscape??

Hiya yes top right , it looks like a church ? i think this pick is from reservoir rd, at their house. if that helps narrow down the potential building

Lady Madonna  
#12 Posted : 01 December 2012 04:18:25(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi awalker,
It looks like the church on Bings Rd now no longer a church.
Lady M.
shallcross  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2013 17:10:57(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Amy

I am not sure if you still visit the Forum but I will post this anyway

I am currently looking into the early years of Whaley Bridge Bowling Club, the club was formed in 1907 and Charles V Exley was the General Secretary / Treasurer,  as he was born in Great Harwood Lancashire I presume he will be one of your relatives, it may be that you haven't come across him  but you will find him listed on the census living with his mother and family on Buxton Road but you need to look under Fernilee rather than Whaley Bridge, he was also a director of The Mechanics Institute.

There are also other Exleys listed in later years 1922 onwards as directors or trustees of the Mechanics Institute

Hope this helps you

Shallcross
awalker  
#14 Posted : 03 March 2013 20:26:39(UTC)
awalker

Hi all
I pop in every so often to see what is going on in Whaley. :)
I had found Charles Vincent Exley (hes my grt grt uncle ), but i didn't know about the mechanics institute or the bowling club .Thank you I'll have to have a bit of a look into these now . It fills out the time line more for him though as 1901 hes in whaley and then 1911 hes up in upper greetland, west yorkshire, then 1917 hes in Clitheroe married.

An update on the car photo , I've made contact with a relation whose also got that photo, and they've said its a 1910 rolls royce silver ghost. They seem to have more photos of the family than me. If i manage to get my hands on copys, and if theres any of Whaley bridge.. shall i pop them up here ?
buggyite  
#15 Posted : 03 March 2013 21:27:06(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I don't think its a 1910 Rolls Royce, as the bonnet shape, and the bulkhead don't match up with other pictures of Silver Ghosts of that era. I'd be tempted to post that photo on a vintage car forum, and get the expert opinion.
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
JonG  
#16 Posted : 03 March 2013 21:51:26(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi awalker,
Yes please ! - If you find any old pictures it would be great to see them. Many thanks.
Cheers

Jon.
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
awalker  
#17 Posted : 05 March 2013 18:32:58(UTC)
awalker

Ive just received pictures of people so far ( which im not complaining about , im super happy! ) ive got a different picture of the car now , a side on view.
ive sent an email to a rolls royce fan club , they might be able to help prove or disprove the rolls talk, and ive posted on a classic car forum too.

@ shallcross . Are the mechanic instute documents online ? or will i have to pop in and try and find some records ?
buggyite  
#18 Posted : 05 March 2013 18:42:25(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have it on very good authority that the car in the photograph is a Humber of either 1910 or 1911
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
awalker  
#19 Posted : 06 March 2013 13:59:56(UTC)
awalker

im showing my lack of age here...but id never even heard of a Humber , my knowledge comes solely now of what google has just told me. thankyou for finding it out :)