logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NevClarke  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2013 16:14:05(UTC)
NevClarke

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
There must be hundreds of stories about ghosts in Whaley.

I've certainly heard the one related to the skull belonging to, Dicky of Tunstead, but wondered if anyone had any others.

Found this link to an, "investigation" at Taxal Lodge with a recent 'sighting' of an unknown apparition. 

http://www.28dayslater.c...-bridge-june-2011-a.html

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2013 18:06:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Prospective Councillor Nev,

Surprisingly you are now into local history after you and your colleagues said you didn’t give two hoots for it or it wasn’t your forte.

I have already covered the Ghost of Shallcross Manor and the strange kidnapping on Elnor Lane on here.
Shortly I will be covering the horrors caused by Dickie’s Skull ,which you mention,  and the effects it had on the Railway Extension to Buxton in the 1860’s.
I have seen Dickie’s skull by the way and she did not frighten me; well not as much as some people on here. In fact she looked quite charming compared to some of the photos on here.
There are also current reports of ghostly happenings at Whaley Hall and the hamlet known as Hockerley around the White Ash Mine and in the area of the Ringstone’s Mine; there were certainly some troubling happenings up there in years gone by.
Certainly strange events at Chapel-en-le-Frith are on-going but as yet I cannot confirm these; and don’t even mention Errwood Hall.
You will need to read these threads, but not on here, and be prepared to have some sleepless nights.

R. S-S

NevClarke  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2013 06:16:51(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Good to hear from you RSS. Think you may be be confusing me with someone else though as I've never said that local history wasn't my thing or that I, "don't give two hoots about it". On the contrary in fact.

I read with interest your and others contributions to the ghost of Shallcross Hall thread. It's a pity that you now don't feel able to share your knowledge on this forum. I'm sure you have your reasons though.

As, for Dicky. I know where he's now buried and some of the stories about past efforts that nearly brought the house down. He seems to be resting peacefully now.

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
Fr Jamie  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2013 01:51:03(UTC)
Fr Jamie

From The Very Rev'd  Canon J R MacLeod
                                      Whaley Hall

Now their's a Ghost from the past !!!!!!!

Good Evening  RSS glad to see you are indeed with us, when I am free and not Ghost hunting with Nev Clarke,  I  shall indeed come over and see you !

Who knows I may find myself having to perform an exocism, and who knows what type of exegesis that may find or I suppose it may be another case of Exegetics again !

But I am glad to see you once more on the forum, and long may you continue to do so !

Every Blessing

Fr Jamie

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2013 08:41:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Sorry to disappoint you Father but I am busy elsewhere as I thought you knew. I shall not be troubling anyone on here anymore.

But I am looking forward to your visit; I shall see to it that there is some Communion wine on the table.
Will a couple of bottles of Rioja do?

R. S-S

PS: I do hear that the Crucifix has been replaced by a top notch craftsman. You can perhaps bring me news of that?

Olave  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2013 12:41:18(UTC)
Olave

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I do vaguely recall tales of a murderous ghost at the Rose and Crown in Buggy.  Think that might have been our mum and dad trying to keep us from exploring it though, was in a sorry state before it was demolished.  Seem to think it was connected with stories of blood appearing on one the quay sides in the basin, again though that might have been to keep us away from the water.  Wanted to ask about this at Buggy Club's history talk but I could only stay for a bit.  May as well ask it here?
RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2013 10:39:11(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
There was a notorious murder involving the Rose & Crown

http://www.brocross.com/iwps/pages/cotton.htm
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk