logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lady Madonna  
#41 Posted : 26 February 2012 01:43:05(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Groups: Member

Hi All,

It's nice to know that I've been missed,

& no I've not been p****d.

My Laptop had gone walkabout,

with my daughter there was no doubt.

I asked and pleaded all in vain,

please give it back for me to use again

So here I am, an angel of the night,

OK a bit fallen but that's alright.

RSS at Whaley Hall do take care & stick to tea,

It was the Communion Wine that did for me 

Fr Jamie  
#42 Posted : 26 February 2012 22:45:45(UTC)
Fr Jamie

Good Evening RSS

I trust you are well and have enjoyed the splendid weekend as I mentioned  yesterday !!!!

Well looking at the picture which always reminds me of St Philips Mission Church Hassell Green  I do have to ask the question are you the one in the middle with the dog !!!!!

In the meantime look forward in seeing you later this week !

Fr Jamie

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#43 Posted : 29 April 2012 11:56:43(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good Morning Horwich Ender,

It is Sunday and I think with today's weather it is time to once again thank the Lord for Sam Fox.

Anyway you have been rather quiet of late has something upset you?

Well in a final attempt to kick start this faultering thread here is a photo of Trinity Church Hall.

The Hall was built in 1911 so we can safely assume the snap was taken after that.

This place of 'worship' was converted into 4 Mews houses at the turn of the century; no doubt by some devious property developer in league with the Council.

R. S-S

Norm  
#44 Posted : 29 April 2012 14:17:18(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Photo from previous post attached.

Robert, nice bold font there. Before you phone me again can you find out what version of Internet Explorer you are on, and am I right in presuming you are using Word 2010?

Norm

Norm attached the following image(s):
7124026143_95aa63a488_c.jpg
Paul Charnley  
#45 Posted : 29 April 2012 16:41:20(UTC)
Paul Charnley

Man
France

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In the early 60`s , their was a badminton cub in the hall , as i was approx 15 / 16 at the time I and many others were junior members - I bet a few remember that ..... Paul ....
Horwich Ender  
#46 Posted : 29 April 2012 20:58:15(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening R. S-S

The weather today has been shocking and I don't think even Sam Fox got round to inventing a force nine gale proof brolly. Best idea on days like this is to stay indoors.

Many thanks for posting your photo of Trinity Church Hall which is fantastic.

Let's hope your contribution nudges forum members to post other historical photo's of Whaley Churches as I am convinced there are many out there.

tomthumb  
#47 Posted : 02 May 2012 09:13:33(UTC)
tomthumb

tomthumb attached the following image(s):
taxch.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#48 Posted : 04 May 2012 14:07:10(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Horwich Ender,

Now you know that there was an old Church at Kettleshulme that was demolished and a new one constructed on the same site?
I have photos of the original and the new Church but I think they are already on here on Well Known Norm’s website.

But here is a shot of the work in progress on the new Church.

I don’t know who built it, possibly Boothby’s but I feel Shallcross will be able to help us on that score.

R. S-S

shallcross  
#49 Posted : 04 May 2012 22:07:50(UTC)
shallcross

Hello RSS

This is a duplicate of the Chapel & Church thread

The Picture is of Mr Fox and his men demolishing the Old Chapel prior to the building of the new Mr Fox built all Goyt Rd and the Park Cafe amongst many others I think. his widow does or did until recently still live on Goyt Rd and has some nice schematic drawings of Goyt Road in the making.

Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#50 Posted : 15 May 2012 13:19:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I know this is not a photograph but at least it will give a bit of historical background to Fernilee Church.
R. S.S

High Peak News

9 September 1871

FERNILEE NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL AND SCHOOL

On Saturday last, four memorial stones were laid by Mrs and Miss Dunn, of Buxton ;  Mrs Williamson, of Fernilee ;  and Mrs Lawton, Whaley Bridge.    The ladies performed their new duties will gracefulness and skill.    A collection was made on the ground, and afterwards the National Anthem was sung with great heartiness.    The company then proceeded to a tent, where an excellent tea was provided.    A public meeting was afterwards held in the tent, T. Williamson, Esq., in the chair.    The Chairman, in a neat and appropriate speech, introduced the business of the evening.    Mr Frost gave a short history of the origin and progress  of the erection.    The Rev. T. Shaw then addressed the meeting, remarking upon the new erection as the chief beauty of the lovely valley.    Beauty depended upon association, and if we considered the objects and benefits which stood associated with a Christian sanctuary, this was the most beautiful of objects.    In this sanctuary the truth, as it is in Jesus, would be declared.    Mr Williamson and Mr Dunn, the principal promoters of the undertaking, he trusted, would see their hopes realized in the moral and religious influences which would be exerted upon the adult and juvenile population.---The Rev. Phillip Fowler, of Stockport, then addressed the meeting very effectively ;  and a very happy evening was brought to a gratifying conclusion.    The collection was about £8.    We understand Mr Williamson and Mr Dunn have given the challenge to the Wesleyan Society of Whaley, that if the entire circuit will raise £100 towards the erection, they will meet the remaining expenditure.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#51 Posted : 17 May 2012 10:55:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

You will see, or the sober amongst you will, that all the topics in the history section are all in some way joined together or intertwined.
In 1871 the Fernilee Chapel was opened and you can see that the services prior to that were held at Shaw Stile which was mentioned in the thread about ‘The Flooding of the Goyt Valley’.
Shaw Stile was compulsory purchased by Stockport Corporation and demolished for fear of polluting the proposed water supply to the residents of Stockport.
The same old names keep cropping up on different threads and that is just what local history is all about.

FERNILEE (Archived)

The present Chapel was built in 1871, and enlarged some eight years ago by the addition of the organ and the choir gallery.
Before the erection of the present chapel the services were held at a farm house named “Shaw Stile,” with James Sayer as Leader of the Society.
At that time the Fernilee cause belonged to the Buxton Circuit, and the Ministers who preached there were Dr. Cranswick and the Rev. Mr Hawthorn.
Local Preachers: Messrs Tomlinson, Noel-Johnson of Sterndale, Wm and Geo. Hadfield, and others.   
The Sunday School Superintendent was Mr Jas. Bowden.   
Mr Isaac Linney, of Stockport, preached many of the Sunday School Anniversary Sermons.

R. S-S

parabuild  
#52 Posted : 06 June 2012 23:12:50(UTC)
parabuild

Man

This picture of Christ Church has appeared on ebay.  It is undated but appears to be quite early. Starting bid for this photo is 99p.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
christ church w b (ebay).jpg
jegmouse  
#53 Posted : 19 November 2012 04:19:44(UTC)
jegmouse

I am trying to locate some memorial inscriptions for Taxal Church. I am looking for William Middleton (died 1914) and his wife Mary Ann (Died 1898?). If anyone has any information, I would love to hear it. I would also like to get a photo of the memorials if anyone can help.
Thanks so much
Emma
PS: The old picture of Taxal Church shown above is lovely.
G. Jackson  
#54 Posted : 19 November 2012 13:38:59(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Jegmouse, The photo is of Christ Church which is on (Old Turns) leading from Old Road to Bings Road. Taxal church is about half a mile away at the end of Ling Longs road off Macclesfield road.
G.J.

Edited by user 19 November 2012 13:48:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious  
#55 Posted : 19 November 2012 21:07:06(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi Jegmouse

I've got some records of MIs at Taxal and there is only one Middleton and he was buried in 1981.  I've also looked on Taxal Burials and there is no mention of Mary Ann Middleton who died in 1898 - the records don't got up to William's burial in 1914 though.  Have you looked at www.disley.net - this is a really good site for local family history.  I can't find this family on the 1891 Census, have you found a record of them?  If so, where were they living?  Let me know if I can help with any more searches.

Best wishes

Mrs Curious

JonG  
#56 Posted : 27 October 2013 10:23:39(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi,
Anonymouse has been in touch again with a couple of pictures. This one is of the Holy Trinity Church in Whaley Bridge in 1915. The other will appear in the lost railway lines thread.
Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 27 October 2013 10:27:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JonG attached the following image(s):
trintychurchhall.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Horwich Ender  
#57 Posted : 28 October 2013 20:42:10(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening.

Just when you thought the History Forum was finally breathing its last breath the renowned double act of Anonymouse and Chairman Jon the Whaley One come up with two more photographs.

Many thanks to Anonymouse for providing and Chairman Jon for posting these historical photo's. They are very much appreciated.

JonG  
#58 Posted : 01 January 2014 13:01:39(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Anonymouse has sent several more pictures. This one of St Johns divine Church in Furness Vale 1905. The other is of the Shady Oak, also in 1905 and is in the 'Historical pictures of Whaley pubs thread'. Many thanks to Anonymouse.
JonG attached the following image(s):
stjohnsdevine1905.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com