logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Whaley Laner  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2010 15:49:30(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

David Easton has published an advert for The Stocks Hotel Whaley Bridge under the topic heading Commercial Break. The date of the advertisement is not shown but it does state the Hotel is located close to the golf links. I was aware there used to be a pub on Start Lane called The Coach and Horses but I have never heard of The Stocks Hotel. I can only assume it was located in the Start Lane/ Whaley Lane/ Stoneheads area. Does anyone know when the Hotel closed, where it was located and is the building still there?

parabuild  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2010 20:42:26(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The Stocks Hotel first advertised in The Guardian on 14th June 1945 and regularly until 20th December 1948. The last few adverts stated "under new management". It did not close at that time as they advertised for a chef on 11th April 1949.  On 30th September 1952 The Stocks Hotel, Start Lane was advertised for sale. There is no further mention in The Guardian.

A search of Google Street View indicates that the house below is The Stocks, on the North side of Start Lane.  I thought the house was on the opposite side. I am sure somebody will confirm the location.

Edited by user 01 April 2010 20:51:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild attached the following image(s):
20.12.48.jpg
11.4.1949.jpg
30.9.1952.jpg
stocks.jpg
Devious  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2010 23:22:06(UTC)
Devious

After my Grandmothers funeral in 1958 we went for a meal at a place on Whaley Lane on the left hand side going up between Hockerley Lane and Start Lane. I still see the place when travelling past but cannot think of the name. Anyone got any ideas.

Devious  

parabuild  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2010 07:02:07(UTC)
parabuild

Man

On Whaley Lane, just about where Devious describes, is a house called Hadfield Fold.  For a short time from June 1953 The Hadfield Fold Hotel advertised in the Guardian

parabuild attached the following image(s):
25.6.1953.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2010 08:49:32(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I can’t believe this; The Stocks is probably the best known house in Whaley.

Of course it was a hotel at one time as was Hadfield Fold below it and just below that was Mrs Swan’s Beerhouse.

Now as for a pub called The Coach and Horses on Start Lane; well that has appeared on here before and I have asked about it but got no replies.
I have never heard of The Coach and Horses on Start Lane except for on this message board.

There again I didn’t believe in the Horwich End Fountain at one time.

R. S-S
Steptoe  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2010 23:00:11(UTC)
Steptoe

parabuild wrote:

The Stocks Hotel first advertised in The Guardian on 14th June 1945 and regularly until 20th December 1948. The last few adverts stated "under new management". It did not close at that time as they advertised for a chef on 11th April 1949.  On 30th September 1952 The Stocks Hotel, Start Lane was advertised for sale. There is no further mention in The Guardian.

A search of Google Street View indicates that the house below is The Stocks, on the North side of Start Lane.  I thought the house was on the opposite side. I am sure somebody will confirm the location.

Sorry, This is a picture of Start House, Start Lane, not The Stocks.

The Stocks is the 2nd house on the left going up Start Lane, and is a much bigger.

parabuild  
#7 Posted : 08 June 2010 06:49:42(UTC)
parabuild

Man

This website lists all houses and paths on Start Lane and includes a useful sketch map prepared by some local children.

www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/personal/start_lane_whaley_bridge.html

snowy  
#8 Posted : 08 June 2010 07:36:18(UTC)
snowy

Very good effort by the kids. There is another link from that web page to google maps where their dad has marked all the houses.

The remains of the original medieval stocks can still be seen more or less opposite the entrance to the field between "The Stocks" house and "Windrush" (or at least they could be seen when I was last there, which is not all that recently), and they are shown on the children's map.

Does anyone know when they were last used, and who was the last occcupant?

Edited by user 08 June 2010 08:14:18(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

Andrea Crook  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2011 17:04:38(UTC)
Andrea Crook

I know this is an old post- but have just come across it. My family (The Crooks)  lived at the Stocks from  about 1953 until  mid 80s I think...I believe it was an orphanage before it was a hotel. My Dad used to think it was appropriate that Crooks lived opposite the Stocks..Will have to investigate this forum- looks interesting!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2011 18:27:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Andrea,

I remember the Crooks well from the Stocks. I remember you, I think as well. Did you have a Swedish Au-pair girl or Nanny living there with you in the late 60’s called Nita or something like that? Perhaps Nuna.
If you read my post 16 in the thread ‘Famous visitors to Whaley Bridge’ you will see the Belle Vue speedway rider brothers the Parkers lived at The Stocks before you.
R. S-S

Edited by user 24 February 2011 18:43:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Andrea Crook  
#11 Posted : 25 February 2011 09:46:43(UTC)
Andrea Crook

We had a few au pairs over the years as there were about 14 of us inc grandmother and aunties etc.they were .mostly German - but blonde and swedish looking. Gitta? Or Jutta? Jutta married one of my brothers- inevitable really. I left Whaley in 1969 thinking I would never come back to this area......but all these years on..I can appreciate it more..and the sense of community you don't get everywhere now (in Buxton now) . I always look on our childhood at The Stocks with great fondness- it was bit like Enid Blyton- lots of Great Adventures in the local area...some of my grandchildrenwill never have that kind of freedom now.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrea Crook for this useful post.
adrianleach on 18/01/2014(UTC)
Andrea Crook  
#12 Posted : 25 February 2011 09:47:53(UTC)
Andrea Crook

Forgot to ask- when did the Parker brothers stay at the Stocks? Were they there long?

adrianleach  
#13 Posted : 18 January 2014 09:36:57(UTC)
adrianleach

Ref au pair twas jutta, she went to Marseille about 1971. Sent me a postcard when retuned suggesting we meet again, however one week later I got married so did not meet. Andrea, jutta often went to whalley bridge 18 plus. And even went to prince Charles investiture. Regards to andrea, jutta etc.

adrianleach  
#14 Posted : 18 January 2014 10:08:17(UTC)
adrianleach

Ref Andrea and Jutta (au oair). Both were members of Whalley Bridge 18 plus (assume that is gone does anyone know what took it's place?
Ref Jutta, she went to Marseilles about 1971 and returned July 72 -at least i think she did as she sent me a postcard suggesting we meet again :-), however I got married week after postcard arrived so was not best time