logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#21 Posted : 03 September 2010 07:21:42(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

It would be hard to identify the narrowboat in Shallcross's postcard.  I have not had much success in finding which traders operated on the Peak Forest Canal.  One very early boat owner was George Bromley.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
George Bromley.JPG
umtali  
#22 Posted : 03 September 2010 08:19:57(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Mr Shallcross

I have removed the damage on the picture - Post :18 - as I do not have the facility to post here it is now on my website along with the other Shallcross images please feel free to collect it. (Should you at any time wish the page closed please advise).
umtali

shallcross  
#23 Posted : 03 September 2010 20:02:35(UTC)
shallcross

Like many things makes sense when you know the answer

This could be  the same barge at Furness can't read the name on the side even on the original, but a typical working barge of the period

Shallcross

File Attachment(s):
Furness vale.jpg (321kb) downloaded 79 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#24 Posted : 03 September 2010 20:11:03(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Twas going to add picture, but I see buggyite is on, so I will wait and see. He went so I have.

Edited by user 03 September 2010 20:18:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm attached the following image(s):
Furness Canal.jpg
parabuild  
#25 Posted : 03 September 2010 20:49:52(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Much of the following information comes from  www.brocross.com

This was the maintenance boat "Kate" photographed in 1900.  The canal was railway owned , I think at that time by the Great Central.  The company had a large number of such boats and "Kate" had the fleet number 14.  Normally she was used for dredging.  The boat was built in 1858 and sunk in October 1937 at Marple where the hull could still be seen in 1973. 

Another commercial canal carrier operating in the early 19th Century  was Boothman and Kirkby.

buggyite  
#26 Posted : 03 September 2010 20:51:34(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I suspect the photographer used a little artistic licence in the darkroom on that photograph to add the mountains behind the trees in the right background, unless they are brooding dark clouds approaching from the North East.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#27 Posted : 03 September 2010 21:31:09(UTC)
shallcross

Buggyite

Have you never climbed the Yeardsley Mountain?

Shallcross

Shallcross
buggyite  
#28 Posted : 03 September 2010 21:43:30(UTC)
buggyite

Man

No, but I slid down a Butter Mountain once.

The one on the photo would be Marsh Lane Tor, surely?

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
parabuild  
#29 Posted : 29 September 2010 08:00:10(UTC)
parabuild

Man

In 1903 the Chancery Court in Manchester ordered the sale of The Furness Vale Silica and Firebrick Company Ltd.  The Company had been in the ownership of Levi and Elijah Hall . Levi had died in 1872 and Elijah in 1886.  The sale by Edward Rushton, Son & Kenyon was held on 21st June 1904 at the Thatched House Hotel, Newmarket Place in Manchester.
The property comprised Mines, beds, veins or seams of fireclay or white earth and gannister lying under the Whiteash and Gannister coal seams under lands of about 28 acres in the parishes of Yeardsley-cum-Whaley and Disley. Land forming the site of a tramway and wharf called Furness Wharf and 2 acres of land close to the turnpike road.  Plant machinery and effects and stock in trade at valuatioin.
Existing contracts were to be fulfilled by the purchaser.
An annual rent of £20 was payable for "liberties, powers and authorities" in respect of working the fireclay and gannister, an arrangement which had commenced in 1898 for a period of 9 years.
Other parties had right to use the wharf subject to payment of fees.

The buyer was Richard E Knowles of Accrington

Edited by user 29 September 2010 08:19:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#30 Posted : 29 September 2010 08:46:57(UTC)

Interesting that Richard E Knowles was originally located in Accrington, home of the much respected high quality “Accrington Brick”, Mr Knowles’s background prior to his move to Furness Vale is probably worth looking into.
umtali  
#31 Posted : 29 September 2010 09:34:09(UTC)

umtali wrote:

Interesting that Richard E Knowles was originally located in Accrington, home of the much respected high quality “Accrington Brick”, Mr Knowles’s background prior to his move to Furness Vale is probably worth looking into.

A Snip from Wikipedia
The town is a former centre of the cotton and textile machinery industries. The town is famed for manufacturing the hardest and densest building bricks in the world, "The Accrington NORI" (iron), which were used in the construction of the Empire State Buildingand for the foundations of Blackpool Tower;
parabuild  
#32 Posted : 29 September 2010 11:42:00(UTC)
parabuild

Man

To correct my post No31,  the auction in Manchester received no bids and the lease of the property , for 20 years was taken by Hall and Sons of Dukinfield.  It is not known whether the new operators had any connection to L & E Hall.  The arrangement was short lived for Richard Knowles purchased the business on 11th March 1905.

Can anybody expand on Levi and Elijah Hall ?   I have a copy of a newspaper notice issued by a Stockport Solicitor dating their deaths as 1872 and 1886 respectively.  I have seen other references to these two men at later dates including their bankrupcy prior to the auction.  Was the business in the hands of trustees after their deaths ?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#33 Posted : 30 September 2010 19:21:33(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Excuse me, Mr Parabuild,

I seem to have missed your photograph of The Furness Vale Middle Stone or Centre Stone can you let me know where you have posted it?

I don’t expect that you will have a photo in your archives of The Mounting Stone that was at the bottom of your road but which became the victim of an out of control lorry in the early 90’s.
Somebody will have a photo of it in Furness though.
Happy hunting.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#34 Posted : 06 October 2010 20:13:50(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The earliest map showing the tramway through Furness Clough was published in 1909.  The route, however, proves to be much older.  John Farey (1766-1826) was a notable geologist and a prolific writer.  His book "A general view of the agriculture and minerals of Derbyshire "  was published in 1811.   Farey describes a railway branch which proceeds under the turnpike road 1 mile to Diglee Colliery with tipplers on the canal wharf for loading carts as well as boats with coal.  The canal opened in 1796 and the turnpike (now Buxton Road, the A6) in 1804.  The tramway would therefore appear to have been constructed between these dates  .   

parabuild  
#35 Posted : 25 July 2012 15:15:49(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A last remnant of Furness Colliery.  This appears to be a wheelset from a mine tub. Track gauge 19"

parabuild attached the following image(s):
001.jpg
tarboat  
#36 Posted : 25 July 2012 23:35:45(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

That's very nice, where was it found?

tarboat  
#37 Posted : 25 February 2014 07:19:09(UTC)
tarboat

Furness Vale brickworks

I was wondering whether there remained any interest in local history on here. I still think that there is more to learn about the Furness Vale firebrick works and have been scanning images from a visit I made in April 1982.
In this overview of the works those are firebacks outside the kiln in front of the fork lift. The main market for these at the time was Saudi Arabia!
thanks 1 user thanked tarboat for this useful post.
parabuild on 27/04/2014(UTC)
Horwich Ender  
#38 Posted : 25 February 2014 19:52:14(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening tarboat.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic photo of Furness Vale Brickworks which is now more than thirty years old. Doesn't time fly?

I note you are wondering whether there remains any interest in local history on this forum and the answer, if solely judged on the number of contributions to the history side of the forum, is probably no.

However, I strongly believe many people still have a passion for local history but the demise of the history forum is not due to lack of interest but can be attributed to other reasons.

You may be aware there are certain individuals from South East London, Salford and North Wales who have ambitions to close this forum down and they are probably delighted to see the current condition of this once great History Forum.

These individuals have previously said they “don't give two hoots” about the history of Whaley Bridge and have even taken pleasure in telling us they have disrupted and been banned from far more popular forum's than this one.

I personally do take an interest in the history of Whaley Bridge and I have obtained a lot of pleasure from the many contributions over the five years this forum has been in existence. There are also lots of other people who view this forum who are also very interested in local history.

The certain individuals who have their own personal agendas have embarked on a continued and sustained attack on this forum. Their tactics appear to have been to confuse forum members and hound off the main contributors to the History Forum.

If you look back over the previous threads on the history forum you will see there have been some terrific topics with the major contributions being initiated by R. Stephenson-Smythe and shallcross.

Both R. S-S and shallcross have a vast knowledge of local history and have previously been more than willing to share it on this forum. Regrettably they appear to have been hounded off by individuals who should know better.

Is there still an interest in local history? I would be very surprised if the likes of buggyite, Curious, Ferni, george, Gnatalee, gritch, Lady Madonna, shallcross and R. S-S etc had suddenly lost all interest in local history but I think the reason they seldom contribute on this forum is down to the way they have been treated by the individuals who would love to see this forum closed down.

I do believe there is still a strong underlying interest in local history but if this forum is to return to its former glory I feel we will need to see the reappearance of R. S-S and shallcross who were not only prepared to share their vast knowledge and photo's but were the catalyst which encouraged other forum members to add their own personal input to topics. 

I agree with Chairman Jon the Whaley One when he said “some of the people on this forum, supposedly sensible people, should be ashamed of their actions.” The individuals who have caused the demise of this history forum have admitted they have nothing to contribute to the discussions on Whaley's history and their behaviour appears to have been successful in driving away valued forum members.

Tarboat, let's hope your terrific photo of the Brickworks reignites the passion for local history and we can look forward to the day when Chairman Jon the Whaley One can once more proudly say “this forum is one of the most interesting sites in the country.”

davethescope  
#39 Posted : 25 February 2014 23:09:47(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
RSS, with the aid of Well-Known-Norm, is still actively sharing his enthusiasm for local history on another forum whose address may not posted here. There is an article by Mrs Scope about him in the current edition of the free newspaper High Peak Review
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
tarboat  
#40 Posted : 04 March 2014 21:33:46(UTC)
tarboat

A mixture of raw materials for making firebacks and the hi-tech loading facilities.

Loading the raw materials
thanks 1 user thanked tarboat for this useful post.
parabuild on 27/04/2014(UTC)