logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2013 04:52:18(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/new...ertainment-arts-25539103

and From the BBC website link above....
The two images were from  the bbc website above - see the publicly available video on the above site for much more detail.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A painting bought for £400 and featured on the BBC's Antiques Roadshow has been revealed to be a Sir Anthony Van Dyck portrait worth about £400,000.

Father Jamie MacLeod, who runs a retreat house in north Derbyshire, took the artwork to Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire, in 2012.

He said he was now planning to sell the piece by the 17th Century Flemish artist to buy new church bells.

The BBC show's host Fiona Bruce said she was "thrilled" by the revelation.

The Van Dyck portrait was identified after Ms Bruce, who was making a show about the artist with expert Philip Mould, saw the painting and thought it might be genuine.

Following restoration, the painting was verified by Dr Christopher Brown - one of the world authorities on Van Dyck.

The portrait, originally bought at a Cheshire antiques shop, is the most valuable painting identified in the show's 36-year history.

Father Jamie, who runs a retreat house in Whaley Bridge, in the Peak District, said: "It's been an emotional experience and it's such great news."

Van Dyck was the leading court painter in England under King Charles I and is regarded as one of the masters of 17th Century art.

The painting is a portrait of a Magistrate of Brussels which is believed to have been completed as part of the artist's preparation for a 1634 work showing seven magistrates.

Ms Bruce said: "It's everyone's dream to spot a hidden masterpiece, I'm thrilled that my hunch paid off, to discover a genuine Van Dyck is incredibly exciting. I'm so pleased for Father Jamie."

Mr Mould said: "Discoveries of this type are exceptionally rare.

"The painting's emergence from beneath layers of paint was dramatic. It's been revealed as a thrilling example of Van Dyck's skills of direct observation that made him so great a portrait painter."

Edited by user 29 December 2013 11:48:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JonG attached the following image(s):
vandykewhaley.jpg
vandykesignature.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2013 10:57:46(UTC)
G. Jackson

Groups: Member

What is intriguing about this is, which antique shop sold a "probable" Old Master painting for £400.00?   I bet the antique dealer is kicking himself if he watches the programme tonight.   
Wanderer returns  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2013 14:25:31(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Congratulations to Father Jamie for spotting the masterpiece and buying it at a bargain price. I look forward to hearing the new bells ringing out!!!
G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2013 20:37:55(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well!   It does look a bloody mess!  They should have left it alone!  
Fr. Jamie said the best part of the painting was the neck ruff, now it looks terrible.

I'm not going to let Fiona Bruce near my grand master, even if she says she will be gentle when washing it.

G.J.

Edited by user 29 December 2013 20:52:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

davethescope  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2013 12:29:17(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wanderer returns Go to Quoted Post
Congratulations to Father Jamie for spotting the masterpiece and buying it at a bargain price. I look forward to hearing the new bells ringing out!!!

Not shares your enthusiasm.  This is a letter published in the i newspaper today

"Great to hear the priest with the £400,000 Van Dyke painting has his priorities right and his finger on the pulse of modern Britain.
When food banks are on the rise and the Government seems hell-bent making people poorer, colder, more hungry and homeless he says he's going to spend the proceeds on ..  church bells.  Oh Dear
 Kevin Thomas ,Abigndon ,Oxfordshire."

A very fair criticism, provide that Mr Thomas gives every penny of his spare income to charity
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
pensionman  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2013 23:00:58(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
How much are church bells these days, surely not £400,000? I would hope father McLeod would put his windfall to suitable causes his faith permits, he appears a considerate bloke. Whaley Hall could do with a bit of a makeover though.
cawright1  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2013 17:01:19(UTC)
cawright1

Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
How much are church bells these days, surely not £400,000? I would hope father McLeod would put his windfall to suitable causes his faith permits, he appears a considerate bloke. Whaley Hall could do with a bit of a makeover though.

I've had the hall tour and spoken with Fr Jamie, and it's obvious that establishing and keeping Whaley Hall as a retreat, is his personal calling. Any 'dilemma' of whether he buys bells, gets the decorators in, or hands the whole lot over to a soup kitchen, is his dilemma only, and I'm sure will prove to be a decision taken only with a ton of careful thought. Meanwhile, I'm passing on my congratulations on the lucky windfall - nice one Fr Jamie!

Wanderer returns  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2014 19:08:20(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Article on the Manchester Evening News web site today saying the painting is going to fetch £500 000 at auction
sfmans  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2014 17:08:06(UTC)
sfmans

Man

But then there's another article on the BBC site today saying that the painting didn't sell after all ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28224155