logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#21 Posted : 05 May 2014 09:07:06(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi,
I post a reply below from R.S.S.

To Cllr Jon Goldfinch,

Jon as you know I am busy elsewhere with local history projects and photographs but I do look in on this site from time to time.
I do know a lot of the Bontoft family and the marriage to a farmer by Elsie after Wilfred was killed in the war. They have both now sadly passed away but they have left a thriving and very well respected family.
I have posted this here, certainly not as a response to the Green Gentleman, but because I may be able to provide some information to ‘CAUDWELL’ and ‘lukalily’ who seem to be seeking that information. Unfortunately there is no PM facility on this forum otherwise I would have used that.
But I would be out of order to keep this information to myself when these two people have a genuine need of the history of Elsie’s extended family.

So if you would be kind enough to give these two members my email address I will certainly be able to help them out.

Alternatively, should they so choose, I could email the relevant information to you in order that you can pass it on to them.

R. S-S

Cheers
Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Whaley Laner  
#22 Posted : 09 May 2014 10:41:26(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JonG Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I post a reply below from R.S.S.

But I would be out of order to keep this information to myself when these two people have a genuine need of the history of Elsie’s extended family.

R. S-S

Would it be possible to post the information on here so the rest of us can continue to enjoy this very interesting subject?
CAUDWELL  
#23 Posted : 15 June 2014 18:14:49(UTC)
CAUDWELL

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
More memories of Ollerenshaw Hall from the former evacuee.  During the summer we used to visit Eccles Pike and play among the rocks.  There was also a small pine wood which was good for "hide & seek".  On the road up to the Pike there was a row of cottages where Mrs. Williams used to keep hens and we used to visit her.  There was also a farm in the lane which I think ran down to Chapel-en-le-Frith and in summer we were allowed to play in the hay loft.  During the winter we went into the kitchen to warm ourselves near the huge kitchen range and have hot drinks and homemade cakes.

I remember one winter we were snowed in so we were unable to go to school ( a great treat ).  Occasionally we took a short cut into Whaley village which took us round the back of a fairly modern house which seemed to be unoccupied but we were very impressed because it had a swimming pool at the back - empty of course.  I think the house was called "The Dingle".  We also used to visit The Sycamores Hotel which was just past Ollerenshaw on Eccles Road as we could buy bars of. chocolate there.  I believe The Sycamores is still there but no longer a hotel.
Jack Tarr  
#24 Posted : 04 July 2014 14:22:15(UTC)
Jack Tarr

my dad went to work at ollerenshaw hall when he came out of the army in 1946, it belonged to the  ETU then. he stayed with them until  they moved to Bromley in Kent. I have a photo of the employees snow clearing all the way up to the hall after the big snow in 1947 
CAUDWELL  
#25 Posted : 04 July 2014 15:43:11(UTC)
CAUDWELL

United Kingdom

I have read your interesting post re your Dad and I remember during my evacuation years at the Hall we were snowed in - the snow was up to the top of the telegraph poles and we had tp waot fpr snow ploughs to dig us out. As for us children it was good because we didn't have to go to school and we had great fun playing in it and building snowmen. Did you know the Hall has been divided into several separate units, one of which was featured in "Escape to the Country" on t.v.? I watched it and it brought back many happy memories. Two young businessmen bought one of the units. I wonder if they are still there?

CAUDWELL
moogie  
#26 Posted : 14 July 2014 08:30:42(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
What is this building used for now?....and Why does it have An RAF looking flag up blowing in the wind most days?..
thanks 1 user thanked moogie for this useful post.
CAUDWELL on 15/07/2014(UTC)
CAUDWELL  
#27 Posted : 14 July 2014 14:52:43(UTC)
CAUDWELL

United Kingdom

Re: Ollerenshaw Hall - The last information I received was that the Hall had been divided into 4 or 5 separate house units. My husband and I visited and spoke to one of the residents but that was some years ago. However, I mentioned in one of my recent posts that it had been the subject of a t.v. programme "Escape to the Country" which was repeated earlier this year when 2 young business men bought one of the units. I have no idea why an RAF flag has been hoisted there.

CAUDWELL - former WW2 evacuee at the Hall.
CAUDWELL  
#28 Posted : 07 August 2014 12:05:19(UTC)
CAUDWELL

United Kingdom

During my time at Ollerenshaw as an evacuee, my mother used to visit most Sundays and on one occasion she decided to bake some bread as the Aga cooker was a novelty, her not having ever even seen one before, and she was an excellent cook and baker.  Naturally the aroma of the newly baked bread spread throughout the place and soon Mrs. Woolley appeared wanting to know what the wonderful smell was.  My mother offered her a newly-baked loaf and, of course, it became a regular event.  

Janet Woolley was about the same age as we evacuees but she wasn't allowed to mix with us.  We used to see her watching us, enviably from a distance, as we played in the garden but, of course, in time she managed to escape from her governess and joined in our games.  Thereafter she was occasionally allowed to join us but we had to address her as Miss Jan.  She also discovered that my mother used to bring comic books and sweets on her visits and so she often appeared on those occasions..                       CAUDWELL
nbrd  
#29 Posted : 26 November 2014 21:31:34(UTC)
nbrd

United Kingdom

Hi  Its been great reading the posts on this forum.  I live at Ollerenshaw Hall and was one of the guys on Escape To The Country.  I would love to receive any old photos people may have of Ollerenshaw Hall. The RAF flag is easily explained- one of our neighbours is a pilot!  
bkirk@uwclub.net  
#30 Posted : 27 November 2014 22:39:30(UTC)
bkirk@uwclub.net

Woman
United Kingdom

Hello - It was great to see your post re Ollerenshaw Hall. I am the evacuee who saw the T.V. programme Escape to the Country featuring yourself and another gentleman I hope you enjoy living in such a beautiful place, I have many happy memories of my time there but, unfortunately, I don't have any photographs. However, the last time I saw the Hall, from the outside it looked virtually the same but on watching the programme, the interior had been altered to a great extent.. I wonder if they managed to keep the beautiful wood panelling which was in the bar/games room at the far end of the house and which opened onto a lovely verandah overlooking the side garden. We had wonderful times playing in the bar pretending to be grown-ups and in the summer we spent a lot of time on the verandah. It was open at the sides but had a covered roof and I imagine the Woolley family and their guests had lots of parties when they gathered in the bar, spilling out onto the verandah. Sadly those days have long gone. Well I think I've said enough for the time being but I will be back 'ere long and once again it was so nice to read your post and to know you were one of the young men I saw on T.V.

CAUDWELL