logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kippax  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2014 10:04:14(UTC)
Kippax

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It's indisputable there are two major problems in Whaley bridge -

1. Traffic congestion on Buxton Road between the White Horse and Cock caused by cars parking on both sides of the road.

2. Dogs running free in the park and football pitches fouling and intimidating young children.

These problems could be easily solved -

1. Restrict parking to one side of Buxton Road - enforced by double yellow lines and traffic wardens.

2.  Ban dogs off leads from the park and football pitches - enforced by signs and the Park Ranger.

These are straightforward solutions to major problems but it could be nothing is done until a kid is savaged by a dog or there is a serious road traffic accident.

What actions are the council taking? 
Copydawg  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2014 13:17:32(UTC)
Copydawg

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are these really "Serious"- how many incidents have there been?

1. There are parking issues in most small towns. Towns built originally to cope with no cars now have several cars per household- Whaley is no exceptional case- I drive through this section a few times a day to get home at peak hours... it is busy and a bit annoying but doesn't cause undue concern. The issue isn't the parking, it is the attitude of 'me first' from people intent not to lose a precious minute on their journey. Give and take is the answer, not more restrictions. Besides - a road clear of parked cars will surely just be an opportunity for people to drive faster, near a school, past residential buildings- surely no-one would advocate that??

2. Dog owners should behave responsibly (as most seem to). Personally I've never seen any wild savage hounds in Whaley nor heard reports of serious injury.

These are things for us as responsible citizens to sort out, not the council, police, wardens, rangers or anyone else. Maybe taking personal responsibility rather than taking offence is the answer.

Ps- if you are not from Whaley and are reading this- we’re a lovely small town on the edge of the Peak district, with beautiful scenery, low crime levels, generally great standard of living, few significant problems to speak of. Come and visit and see for yourself (maybe catch the train though eh and leave that dingo behind Whistle ).

Edited by user 31 October 2014 15:19:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Copydawg for this useful post.
Fedup on 02/11/2014(UTC)
davethescope  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2014 17:32:40(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
1. A few weeks ago there was an accident outside the Cock, sufficiently serious to require the attendance of two police cars and an emergency ambulace.

2. Most gun owners act responsibly and there have been few gunshot injuries during my three decades in Whaley. But I would be as uneasy at seeing people walking around the park carrying shotguns, as I am at seeing large dogs running free.

Waiting for an accident to happen before addressing a problem is not responsible behaviour.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2014 16:03:34(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon.

I am not sure if incidents with dogs in the memorial park have made it into the local press but the traffic issues on Buxton Road have:

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/baby-injured-in-whaley-bridge-crash-1-6812267

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/whaley-bridge-congestion-branded-ticking-time-bomb-1-6692316

RockBanker  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2014 09:25:51(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kippax Go to Quoted Post
It's indisputable there are two major problems in Whaley bridge -

2. Dogs running free in the park and football pitches fouling and intimidating young children.

These problems could be easily solved -

2.  Ban dogs off leads from the park and football pitches - enforced by signs and the Park Ranger.

What actions are the council taking? 

The answer to the Kippax's question can be found here:

http://www.highpeak.gov....papers-145734662/105.pdf

In summary it seems the that Borough Council intends to introduce the following bylaws:

•The Fouling of Land by Dogs (High Peak Borough Council) Order, 

which would make it an offence for any person in charge of a dog not to 
remove the faeces forthwith from any publicly accessible land open to 
the air in the borough of High Peak. 

• The Dogs on Leads by Direction (High Peak Borough Council) 
Order,

which would make it an offence for a person in charge of a dog 
not to comply with a direction given by an authorised officer of High Peak 
Borough Council to put and keep the dog on a lead of not more than four 
feet in length on any publicly accessible land open to the air in the 
borough of High Peak. 

• The Dogs Exclusion (High Peak Borough Council) Order,

which would make it an offence for a person in charge of a dog to take the dog 
onto, or permit the dog to enter or remain on all enclosed children’s play 
areas owned by High Peak Borough Council; all Multi Use Games Areas 
(MUGAs) owned by High Peak Borough Council; all tennis courts owned 
by High Peak Borough Council; all bowling greens owned by High Peak 
Borough Council; within the perimeter of any grounds within the 
ownership or control of High Peak Borough Council and marked for use 
as a football pitch, whether being used as a football pitch or otherwise; 
and all skate parks owned by High Peak Borough Council. 

I do not know when or if these bylaws will become applicable.

Edited by user 02 November 2014 09:46:21(UTC)  | Reason: Add summary

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Fedup  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2014 20:40:14(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Copydawg Go to Quoted Post
Are these really "Serious"- how many incidents have there been?

1. There are parking issues in most small towns. Towns built originally to cope with no cars now have several cars per household- Whaley is no exceptional case- I drive through this section a few times a day to get home at peak hours... it is busy and a bit annoying but doesn't cause undue concern. The issue isn't the parking, it is the attitude of 'me first' from people intent not to lose a precious minute on their journey. Give and take is the answer, not more restrictions. Besides - a road clear of parked cars will surely just be an opportunity for people to drive faster, near a school, past residential buildings- surely no-one would advocate that??

2. Dog owners should behave responsibly (as most seem to). Personally I've never seen any wild savage hounds in Whaley nor heard reports of serious injury.

These are things for us as responsible citizens to sort out, not the council, police, wardens, rangers or anyone else. Maybe taking personal responsibility rather than taking offence is the answer.

Ps- if you are not from Whaley and are reading this- we’re a lovely small town on the edge of the Peak district, with beautiful scenery, low crime levels, generally great standard of living, few significant problems to speak of. Come and visit and see for yourself (maybe catch the train though eh and leave that dingo behind Whistle ).

Thank Heavens  -  a sensible response at last!

And wouldn't it have made sense to fence off the children's play area in the Park?
Fedup  
#7 Posted : 02 November 2014 20:42:31(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Horwich Ender Go to Quoted Post

Good afternoon.

I am not sure if incidents with dogs in the memorial park have made it into the local press but the traffic issues on Buxton Road have:

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/baby-injured-in-whaley-bridge-crash-1-6812267

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/whaley-bridge-congestion-branded-ticking-time-bomb-1-6692316

The reason that incidents to do with dogs in the Memorial Park have not made it into the paper is......there haven't been any.