logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mikeann  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2009 08:17:46(UTC)
Mikeann

Groups: Member

Many forum users may now be aware of the recent death of Incredulous, who also posted as Gigsworth. The following words reflect the views of a number of us, who wanted to say something about a man who added so much of interest to the forum.

We were deeply saddened to hear of the recent untimely death of Incredulous, and our thoughts are very much with his family and friends. Incredulous added a huge amount of historical colour to the forum, and we always looked forward to his postings and revelations about Whaley Bridge.
It would be fair to say that Incredulous and RSS, between them, transformed what was, at the time, a rather bland forum, into something much, much, more interesting to many people, and it is a direct consequence of their input that many other people have become involved in using it. You don't have to be interested in the history of Whaley Bridge to appreciate the great character of the man that was evident in his postings. We have learnt a huge amount about Whaley Bridge from him, and yet this was just a small part of the archive of information that he was starting to share on the forum. We very much hope that a way is found to continue the sharing of the historical information that he was so interested in doing, and that it can somehow be kept within Whaley Bridge as a legacy to his passion for the subject.

So much is lost when a person dies, and the forum, and Whaley Bridge, is a poorer place without him.

Edited by user 31 March 2009 16:04:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Over the hill but not far away  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2009 20:29:15(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Hi all

Gigsworth added wit, culture and intelligence to the form.  He has now gone to the great gig in the sky and sadly will not be able to join me now in my box at the opera house for the Hawkwind gig-or will he?  One of his last remarks was "RIP Steve Marriot"-RIP yourself, old friend-although we only met very briefly in person

Cheers

Edited by user 18 March 2009 20:34:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Web Watcher  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2009 21:11:20(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dear All

Just a quick note to say how sorry I am to read that "Gigsworth" is not longer with us. His posts brought a smile to my face on many a dark evening. My thoughts are with his family at this very sad time. He will be greatly missed.
Jake  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2009 12:58:17(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I only found out his Forum identity last week. He was a man I had never met but got to know, like and respect from a distance.

I can only say that I feel that I have lost of a very good friend even though as I say I never knew him personally.

Incredulous came across on the Forum as a true gentleman with a tremendous of humor whose contributions to the Forum helped make it such a very interesting place to visit for all those that used it.

He will of course be sadly missed, my thoughts at this difficult time go out to his family and close friends.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2009 16:29:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good afternoon to all who take part in and view this new forum,

My first posting on here is one I would rather not have to make but make it I must.

Some months ago when I first contributed to the old forum about Carr Meadow I was answered by ‘Scouting for Girls’; after a bit of sabre rattling at Sceptic Person who soon became Jake, ‘Scouting for Girls became Incredulous.

Incredulous, as you all know, is no longer with us. Despite what appeared on the old forum we never met one another as far as I can recall. Towards the end of the old forum I was able to detect the true identity of Incredulous but kept it to myself. He was too knowledgeable about The Top of Horwich Burial Society and the Oak Chair to be anybody else really. But to me he was still Incredulous.

We emailed each other on occasions about various matters concerning the forum. Within my first email to the man I knew as Incredulous I asked him to keep my emails in the strictest of confidences and I would do likewise. He never let me down in that respect. However, I hope he will forgive me if I do reveal his last email to me dated 21st February. I copy it below. No Whaley bridge forum can possibly be the same without him.

Incredulous educated me. He made me laugh. He made me laugh at Jake (sorry Jake) and best of all he made me laugh at myself. As I say I did not know the man personally but his passing has strangely upset me tremendously. He was a perfect gentleman in his dealings with me. I feel for his family and I hope this contribution does not offend them

Wherever you may be now Incredulous I hope you are able to have a look in on the new forum and maybe you will have a laugh at us lot trying to entertain ourselves. I will miss you.

R. S-S

“Good morning R.S-S,

So thankfully our colleagues in the Halls of Power have eventually stepped in to close down the Forum. It is just unfortunate that it had been allowed to deteriorate so far before the plug was pulled. More so, that it was beginning to attract a number of new (sensible) contributors also. Let's hope for a successful rebirth under more controlled conditions.

Just in case you missed my 'last post' (cue music clip) I attach the approximate layout of Whaley Bridge Golf Course.

It is interesting to note that the landowner preserved the right to graze cattle and sheep on the course - bulls and horses were excluded - and 'should any damage be done to cattle in the field of play through being struck by a ball such damage should be made good'! An interesting addition to the normal hazards one expects on a golf course.

Please feel free to exchange any interesting articles of our yesteryears via email as you see fit - until/if our forum reappears.

God Save The King!

Incredulous”

Fedup  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2009 21:32:04(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Having just returned from a brief holiday and eagerly logging in to the Forum you can imagine my sadness to read the dreadful news about our friend, Incredulous. Like many others on this Forum, I had come to regard him as a friend, and although I never met him, nor do I know his true identity, I shall truly miss his wit and incredible local knowledge. What a loss to us all. Deepest sympathy to his family.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2009 08:59:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good morning to you Fedup,

How pleasing to see you back and in communication with the Whaley bridge public

I was beginning to miss you and your entry here has cheered me up no end. I was becoming ‘fed up’ myself.

I agree the news was dreadful but we must now press on. I am sure Incredulous would want that.
Now then very shortly King Jake will resign his seat as Leader of the Town Council and we will have another leader to follow. I can’t imagine the new man/woman will be in the class of our King but we must wait and see. My money’s on Councillor Brunt as no one of that name has ever been leader. If it is Councillor Brunt I hope the good lady will entertain us in the same fashion as King Jake did.
But in the meantime we must come up with a few ideas for a fitting tribute to the man who is King and his term in office. Incredulous had some splendid ideas on this very subject but I fear his ideas may now be lost with the rest of the old forum posts. So we need to start again from the beginning.

I look forward to your proposals.

Oh by the way Fedup I have a bit of spare time on my hands tomorrow and I will look into the method of posting photos. I know Incredulous was very interested in our lost/stolen fountain and we never did find it did we? But at the same time there was another water feature on the opposite side of the road and I have a picture of it. I don’t know the date of it but there is a person on there that bears a striking resemblance to King Jake.
I will try to get my head around it in the morning.

The last historical thread on the old forum was about the prisons of Whaley Bridge and we could possibly pick up on that some time in the future as well.

Nice to see you back Fedup.

R. S-S

Fedup wrote:
Having just returned from a brief holiday and eagerly logging in to the Forum you can imagine my sadness to read the dreadful news about our friend, Incredulous. Like many others on this Forum, I had come to regard him as a friend, and although I never met him, nor do I know his true identity, I shall truly miss his wit and incredible local knowledge. What a loss to us all. Deepest sympathy to his family.

Jake  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2009 15:49:26(UTC)

Good Afternoon to you both

Welcome back Fedup. I'm suprised as I did not think that a person as fed up as you would go on holiday but I do hope you had a good time and are fully rested, where did you go to?

The new forum is a few days old and I already have cause for concern with our goood friend R. S-S looking to give me a fitting tribute when my term of office ends.
I get the impression that he wants to involve you in the generation of ideas to mark the occasion. I can asure you both that you have no need to mark the event, I will be quite happy just to fade into the background.
I can tell you that normally the new Chair of the Town Council is the Vice Chair from the previous year. My Vice Chair is Barrie Taylor so he in theory will be the new Chair person.

I am also suprised at the suggestion that I will now be appearing in an old photograph of a historic water feature in the Town. I am not sure if R. S-S is questioning my age or if he is working on some photo trickery to include me anyway, if it is a similar likeness then I do take pity on the poor person who may have looked like me, but we shall have to wait and see what he comes up with.

Jake
Fedup  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2009 21:18:18(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well, good-evening to you both.

How pleasant it is to be back in communication again. I have to say that I was beginning to suffer from withdrawal symptoms after the old forum closed down, but that might just be a sign of what a sad life I lead!

To answer your question first, King Jake, I have been to Wales for a week. Now I know that normally Wales in the month of March is not somewhere that you would long to be, but I was extremely lucky, as the weather was glorious. I stayed in the small town of Criccieth, and whilst walking along the beach one fine, warm, sunny morning, I looked up to see Criccieth Castle silhouetted against a bright blue sky. I immediately thought of you, King Jake.

Now R.S-S, what better tribute to our beloved leader than his own castle? I know that a suitable location would have to be found, but I'm sure that with your brains and local knowledge and my imagination, this would prove to be an easy task. I would suggest somewhere high, where it could be seen by all. A kind of Mecca perhaps? A flag, bearing words such as "King Jake - Leader of Whaley Bridge" could flutter in the breeze on high days and holidays. A moat perhaps.......the possibilities are endless. Tell me what you think and I will set forth immediately to begin the search.

I know nothing of Barrie Taylor, but I think you will agree that he has a very big job ahead of him, stepping into the shoes of King Jake.
Jake  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2009 16:06:12(UTC)

Good Afternoon

I knew my concerns were well founded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am please to hear that you got the best of the weather and had a good Holiday, Wales is a great place to be, if, as you did you got good weather and Cricceth is a pleasant town, however the language does defeat me. I do find it strange that no matter what happens you will find yourself in a queue for something and the person being served is speaking Welsh, when your turn comes the person behind the counter immediatley starts to talk to you in English. I always feel that I have some form of stamp on my forehead that say English, do we really look that different?  

My memory is a bit shakey but if it serves me well when we used the old Forum we did suggest that you got out a bit more, now look what has happened "A Castle" with a moat and a dedicated flag.

I can only hope that R. S-S misses your post and does not add to the idea as it could lead to all sorts of mayhem, time will tell.

Barrie Taylor is not only on the Town Council but also represents you as The Derbyshire County Councillor for Whaley Bridge just follow the Town Council link on this website and you will find a picture of him.

I can only agree with you it is good to be back and yes it is definitely a sign of what a sad life we do lead, but I know I have met some nice people on this Forum many of them like you have given me a good laugh, and that's what it's all about in the end.

Jake

Fedup wrote:
Well, good-evening to you both.

How pleasant it is to be back in communication again. I have to say that I was beginning to suffer from withdrawal symptoms after the old forum closed down, but that might just be a sign of what a sad life I lead!

To answer your question first, King Jake, I have been to Wales for a week. Now I know that normally Wales in the month of March is not somewhere that you would long to be, but I was extremely lucky, as the weather was glorious. I stayed in the small town of Criccieth, and whilst walking along the beach one fine, warm, sunny morning, I looked up to see Criccieth Castle silhouetted against a bright blue sky. I immediately thought of you, King Jake.

Now R.S-S, what better tribute to our beloved leader than his own castle? I know that a suitable location would have to be found, but I'm sure that with your brains and local knowledge and my imagination, this would prove to be an easy task. I would suggest somewhere high, where it could be seen by all. A kind of Mecca perhaps? A flag, bearing words such as "King Jake - Leader of Whaley Bridge" could flutter in the breeze on high days and holidays. A moat perhaps.......the possibilities are endless. Tell me what you think and I will set forth immediately to begin the search.

I know nothing of Barrie Taylor, but I think you will agree that he has a very big job ahead of him, stepping into the shoes of King Jake.