logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pubcrawler  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2015 20:56:29(UTC)
Pubcrawler

Groups: Member

Well, a planning application has gone in to built six 3-storey houses off New Horwich Road, see http://planning.highpeak.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=180164
Whaley Bridge will soon turn into a large commuter town, with total disregard to the countryside.
There is a meeting at the Mechanics Instiute on Thursday 12th Feb @ 7.30pm. So, maybe someone will listen to our cause.
davethescope  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2015 18:26:21(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pubcrawler Go to Quoted Post
Whaley Bridge will soon turn into a large commuter town, with total disregard to the countryside.
There is a meeting at the Mechanics Instiute on Thursday 12th Feb @ 7.30pm. So, maybe someone will listen to our cause.

What cause is that?  To keep those dreadful townies out of Whaley Bridge?   As an incomer myself I don't think that I can pull the drawbridge up and object to other people moving here and sharing our lovely environment.

That particular application is very much infilling and won't have a great visual impact.   Nor is it large enough to cause a significant increase in traffic.   And, unlike many long time residents, these incomers won't be garaging their cars on a main road.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
Gari on 15/03/2015(UTC)
Peter@94OldRoad  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2015 22:06:18(UTC)
Peter@94OldRoad

United Kingdom

Hi - My first post to this forum. I live on Old Road, and the ground is quite steep behind our house towards where these new houses are proposed.

My wife and I have spent the last few days carefully going over the application. We are finding a number of inaccuracies in the application, with diagrams and plans which appear to disguise the scale of this development.

In fact, the houses along Old Road (from 86 to 98) are, arguably more affected that those along the Cricket pitch side of New Horwich Road but the applicant seems to have gone out of his way to avoid references to the proximity of the Old Road  properties. Indeed, two photographs which can be downloaded from the High Peak planning site show a view across to New Horwich Road, and another view towards properties lower down Old Road over a wall away from the affected land. If you stand in the position where these two pictures have been taken from and face directly down the field however, you see the Old Road houses that will be affected.  

I hope to speak at the local council meeting this Thursday and will raise a number of concerns and oversights in the documentation. The scale of these 4 bedroomed houses, in this location, part of which lies inside the High Peak conservation area, are, we feel, completely out of character with the surrounding Victorian (mainly terraced) housing. The is not 'Infill', which is where a gap between existing properties is 'filled in'. Here, the gap between existing properties is being employed to access land behind and above existing properties. My architect tells me this is called 'Backland development'. 

If you want to contribute to the planning process and comment on this proposal, the link from the top posting in this thread takes you to the Application details. These include a further link to let you easily 'Comment on this application'.  

If we are successful in preventing this development, the developer is likely to re-submit plans and then your comments will need to be re-submitted so you might wish to save an electronic copy of your comments in case you wish to comment to any revised proposal.

Peter
Jonny Summers  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2015 20:47:16(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Population of Whaley Bridge: 6,400 (approx.)
Population of UK: 64,000,000 (approx.)
Therefore population of WB is roughly 0.01% that of the UK.
With the election coming up, the main political parties today announced plans to build 200,000 to 300,000 new houses every year over the life of the next government.
Therefore it could be expected that WB build 20-30 new houses EACH YEAR!
All of a sudden 107 houses (in "x" years) doesn't sound too bad???
davethescope  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2015 14:40:47(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jonny Summers Go to Quoted Post
Population of Whaley Bridge: 6,400 (approx.)
Population of UK: 64,000,000 (approx.)
Therefore population of WB is roughly 0.01% that of the UK.
With the election coming up, the main political parties today announced plans to build 200,000 to 300,000 new houses every year over the life of the next government.
Therefore it could be expected that WB build 20-30 new houses EACH YEAR!
All of a sudden 107 houses (in "x" years) doesn't sound too bad???

Area of Whaley Bridge Parish 50 sq miles
Area of UK 100,000 sq miles
So WB is 0.05% of UK. and should expect 100 - 150 of those houses per year.

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.