logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lady_Muck  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2015 12:53:51(UTC)
Lady_Muck

Groups: Member
Woman
United Kingdom

Wondering if I'm the only resident in Whaley Bridge who would welcome 3G to our Town. I can't quite believe how we still haven't got it. Chapel has had it for years, New Mills and Buxton too. Even Furness Vale I'm told is connected! I feel Whaley Bridge is in the Stone Age. Wondering if there is a particular reason for this. Would be grateful if anyone could shead some light on it. Pray
Norm  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2015 15:37:55(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
3G is rubbish all over this area. New Mills only has it in parts, I know cos I live there. I cannot speak for Chapel or Furness but I really doubt they have it 100%. 

Mobile companies are not bothered about anywhere outside major population areas.
Lady_Muck  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2015 17:08:10(UTC)
Lady_Muck

Woman
United Kingdom

Chapel definitely has it because my parents live there, they've had it for about 2 years. As soon as I leave the house, my phone is basically useless in Whaley. Other than to make calls. I can't even receive imessages on my iPhone. I was hoping there was a logical explanation as to why we haven't got it, yet all the surrounding towns have it, all beit patchy.
I think I might have to move to a proper townLaughing
davethescope  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2015 09:47:03(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Norm Go to Quoted Post
3G is rubbish all over this area. New Mills only has it in parts, I know cos I live there. I cannot speak for Chapel or Furness but I really doubt they have it 100%. 
Mobile companies are not bothered about anywhere outside major population areas.

Much of the problem is down to the way the mobile phone system was originally set up.  In the sacred name of "competition" - so exalted by those rich enough not to have to compete - each company was expected to set up its own infra-structure.  Given the cost of the infra-structure it is not surprising that they neglect to cover some areas.

The rational way to organize mobile telephony would have been to follow the land line model.   A single company providing the infra structure and selling airtime to the providers who could repackage it before selling it to the consumer.  Still plenty of scope for competition

Having said all that, I don't have much trouble with broadband access in Whaley using 02.   Bugsworth is another matter but that is hardly surprising :-)
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
moogie  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2015 11:45:47(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Our home internet never drops below 8mb...so its always maxed out which is good....

Very odd with O2 though ....rubbish signal at our house(buggy)....but can get 3g at chinley train station and i thought it was the same mast
davethescope  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2015 13:55:40(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: moogie Go to Quoted Post
Our home internet never drops below 8mb...so its always maxed out which is good....

Very odd with O2 though ....rubbish signal at our house(buggy)....but can get 3g at chinley train station and i thought it was the same mast

The O2 mast is at the bottom of Stubbins Lane so would have a good view of the Station.  But I don't think it is visible from Buggy, especially down by the Club, because of the nearby rising ground.

All the other major operators have base stations on Stubbins Lane - I suspect on the TV mast.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
davethescope  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2015 13:58:15(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

This shows where all the base stations are http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search
thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
Lady_Muck on 13/03/2015(UTC)
Gari  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2015 02:34:39(UTC)
Gari

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Depending on who your provider is, they should give you a signal booster.

We live at the top of Mac Road and even with the extra height, our mobile provider, Three, still took a look at the signal that we were getting and decided that we were in need of an £80 signal booster, which they have 'loaned' to us for free.

There is 3G already in the area, and there's little that the phone companies can do about the hills to be honest. TV is the same - we have to use FreeSat rather than get Freeview over the air through an aerial.
Lady_Muck  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2015 09:51:26(UTC)
Lady_Muck

Woman
United Kingdom

What the heck is a signal booster, Gari?? My provider is o2 who also provide for Tesco Mobile who my husband is with. Sometimes he gets a better signal than me even though we use the same provider. I just don't get it. I feel like slinging my phone in the canal and reverting back to morse code! Brick wall
Gari  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2015 21:47:12(UTC)
Gari

United Kingdom

Unfortunately looks like O2 are a little lacking in this respect: https://community.o2.co....-rural-areas/td-p/550338

I'd call Customer Services and moan, you're not getting the service you should be getting!
thanks 1 user thanked Gari for this useful post.
Lady_Muck on 15/03/2015(UTC)
moogie  
#11 Posted : 18 March 2015 11:58:26(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: davethescope Go to Quoted Post
This shows where all the base stations are http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

we are on rosey bank...so about level with the O2 one..

altho there is another mast next to the train track in Hollin wood , but thats not showing on the map. bit odd!  
MrTrueman  
#12 Posted : 22 March 2015 12:31:02(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

O2 do the signal booster but they only supply them if you have a business account. The seem to want to push the TuGo app instead for residential customers.  They also charge around £200 for the boost box!
Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
davethescope  
#13 Posted : 22 March 2015 15:41:27(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

What internet speed would you consider to be acceptable?. As someone who cut his teeth on a 2.400KB modem I consider the better than 12MB I get now quite miraculous.
nce  
#14 Posted : 24 March 2015 12:56:46(UTC)
nce

I have an O2 booster in, but it's not the actual O2 one. It is a ship-to-shore marine booster, and it works quite well, but does not transmit 3G, because it it not actually receiving 3G from the transmitter on The Sidings.

Regarding wired Internet, I am interested in what is going on at the back of my house on the Eccles Road junction. A BT super-fast fibre box seems to have been installed, and people are mucking about inside it daily. I think this means were are close to getting fibre to the exchange.

As for Dave's question, as things progress, expectations rise, and more speed is needed. I run a small marketing agency from the house, and clients are now expecting us to be able host video conferences in Adobe Connect; which, I have discovered is essentially impossible with my current upload speed. We are also regularly sharing event slide decks with video that run in excess of 150MB, and those take an age to squirt up the pipes.

I'd love to know BT's schedule on fibre now that the boxes seem to be in.