logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ww1  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2015 10:27:29(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Thought I might try something new for this forum.
I have in the region of 2,500 images on my website, among them I have favourites. Thought I might place one of them on the forum under the heading “To-days Picture”, and replace it the next day hopefully with a new and interesting one.
(Subject to the moderators good will).

Today Col. Hall and his men in "Chesterfield".

colhall.jpg

Edited by user 19 May 2015 10:31:21(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

tarboat  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2015 10:40:51(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
At the time of this photo he would have been Major Hall. Of course his family business was Edward Hall and Brother, bleachers. Edward Hall established a bleaching company at Whaley Bridge in 1830. By 1908 Edward Hall and Brother had become part of the Bleachers Association Ltd which in turn became a part of Whitecroft Industrial Holdings by 1964. In 1952 Bradbury Lees and Co Ltd was established by Robinsons as a holding company of Edward Hall and Bro. Ltd. The bleach works handled all cotton bleaching for Robinsons' Chesterfield works. The plant closed in 1999.

Lt Col Edward Hall D.S.O., TD. served as a 2/Lieutenant with the Volunteer Battalion on the 11th May 1892. Promoted to Lieutenant 10th April 1895 and Captain on the 9th May 1900. Captain in the 6th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (formerly 2VB) in 1908, Major 12th May 1912 and joined the 6th Battalion at Le Couture on the 25th November 1915. Lt/Colonel on the 16th February 1920 to February 1925.
tarboat  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2015 10:41:40(UTC)
tarboat

If the photo is relevant to this forum, then surely it would be better left up rather than remove it after a short period.
ww1  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2015 11:30:15(UTC)

Tarboat

I thought it best to limit my contribution to just a single page to avoid the same contributor name appearing on umpteen posts. I would however have no objection to anyone copying an image and expanding on the theme in a post of their own, which I feel would be good for this forum.
For example your additional notes on today’s image prompt me to add a few more pictures on the same topic.
I should also say I would like to add pictures from nearby towns Chinley, New Mills, Buxton for example but always historical c.1900 - 1920 latest
tarboat  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2015 16:05:19(UTC)
tarboat

Originally Posted by: ww1 Go to Quoted Post

I thought it best to limit my contribution to just a single page to avoid the same contributor name appearing on umpteen posts. I would however have no objection to anyone copying an image and expanding on the theme in a post of their own, which I feel would be good for this forum.
For example your additional notes on today’s image prompt me to add a few more pictures on the same topic.
I should also say I would like to add pictures from nearby towns Chinley, New Mills, Buxton for example but always historical c.1900 - 1920 latest

I think images should be of, or directly linked to, Whaley Bridge and the immediate vicinity. Buxton is not Whaley Bridge. New Mills has its own resources for images. I do not see the point in posting images and then removing them soon after.
ww1  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2015 16:22:40(UTC)

tarrboat
That’s OK I suppose it is a bit cavalier to venture past “Bridge Mont” just trying to revive the forum a little. Don’t have enough material for a “Whaley Bridge” only venture.
I will leave the Col. Hall image on site
Cheers.
ww1  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2015 05:46:07(UTC)

I have removed my detail images post for the above as it is in fact shown better on the
“Whaleybridge WW1 Website”

- link below....

http://www.peterthomp.co.uk/blank_web/col_hall.htm

Edited by user 22 May 2015 06:56:26(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling