logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
A1Dan  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2015 19:54:01(UTC)
A1Dan

Groups: Member

I've seen this mentioned before, a few years back, but it seems to be becoming more of a serious issue. My wife and dog were just chased off Cow Field by the bulls on there. It's not the first time we've had to make a quick exit after they got a bit frisky, but this time they were properly stampeding. Other people i know won't walk their dogs there anymore, after similar incidents - one guy in particular very nearly had his collie trampled.

Given that one of the reasons voiced at the time for protecting the field from developers was the ability to walk dogs on there, I'm sure there must be others on here who are concerned?

I've no idea if the bulls are older than 10 months etc - ie if the owner is technically doing anything wrong. But they are certainly becoming a hazard. I presume it's still the dairy farmer that's been there for years?

Anybody know anything more about the owner, and if he'd take such concerns seriously?
pensionman  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2015 22:28:28(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Surely the hint is in the usage of the land? I've been charged at there twice by a bull when walking my retriever there, but I respect the fact it's grazing land for its owner. Take the risk of going through with your mutt, but be aware of the risks. Pity the owners at Whaley Hall have plugged the walk through with their Berlin wall that enabled one to avoid a bovine confrontation. Live & let live.
A1Dan  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2015 11:45:54(UTC)
A1Dan

I get what you're saying, and it is a shame you can't go the other way still.
But to be fair, that isn't a right of way, whereas the path through Cow Field is.
Which goes back to your point about the usage. If there's a right of way on your land, you are duty bound to ensure the bulls are not dangerous, as well as the various other specifics about age and breed.
davethescope  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2015 05:58:45(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Are we talking bulls or bullocks here? It is unusual to have more than one bull on a piece of land. Indeed it is unusual for a farmer to own more than one bull.
If it is bulls then the law is quite clear:

Bulls of recognised dairy breeds that are over the age of 10 months are banned by law from fields containing a PROW. Bulls over 10 months of any other breed must be accompanied by cows or heifers when in fields with public access. The recognised banned breeds are: Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry.

Cows and bullocks are basically quite timid creatures though they may be frisky. In my experience they will always back away if you shout and wave your arms thought it unwise to get between a cow and her calf.

They will, with good reason, often attack any predator, such as a dog which approaches them.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
A1Dan  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2015 18:39:21(UTC)
A1Dan

Couldn't say to be honest, not really sure how to tell a bull's age. Guessing they're probably legal, but they sure are a pain in the butt!
davethescope  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2015 05:06:47(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: A1Dan Go to Quoted Post
Couldn't say to be honest, not really sure how to tell a bull's age. Guessing they're probably legal, but they sure are a pain in the butt!

The difference between a bull and a bullock is very obvious. Think what you would be look like if you had had your bollocks chopped off before puberty. :-)

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
G. Jackson  
#7 Posted : 28 July 2015 09:00:30(UTC)
G. Jackson

Terrified, sad, crying,,,,,the list goes on and on.
A1Dan75  
#8 Posted : 28 July 2015 09:50:34(UTC)
A1Dan75

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: G. Jackson Go to Quoted Post
Terrified, sad, crying,,,,,the list goes on and on.

Sorry, is this related to the rest or did you post in the wrong thread?

Seems a bit of a non-sequitur, were you looking for the "How do you fell when having to meet actual living people away from the internet" thread?
A1Dan75  
#9 Posted : 28 July 2015 09:59:35(UTC)
A1Dan75

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: davethescope Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: A1Dan Go to Quoted Post

The difference between a bull and a bullock is very obvious. Think what you would be look like if you had had your bollocks chopped off before puberty. :-)

Sorry, I thought you were just referring to the age, duh! So does the 10-month-old law only apply to intact bulls?
G. Jackson  
#10 Posted : 28 July 2015 10:12:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

Entire not intact.
A1Dan75  
#11 Posted : 28 July 2015 10:33:29(UTC)
A1Dan75

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: G. Jackson Go to Quoted Post
Entire not intact.

Either really, you Say Tomato, I say Tomato. (Not a song title that works very well written down)