logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
r.bertazzoni  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2011 17:01:54(UTC)
r.bertazzoni

Groups: Member

I'm Roberta Bertazzoni, an Italian researcher of Cultural Heritage. I'm doing an important study about the life and especially the works of the Italian XIXth Century sculptor Giovanni Maria Benzoni. Among the many purchasers of this artist there was Samuel Grimshawe III, son of Samuel Grimshawe II which was the builder of Errwood Hall.

I’m herewith contacting this forum since I need some important information. First of all I would like to know the name of the architect of Errwood Hall, secondarily the exact dates in which it was built (1830s or 1840s?) and when it has been demolished. I’m also wondering if you have an idea of where its furniture and its works of art have been placed after the demolishment. At last surfing the web document at http://www.whaleybridge.net/localhistory/Errwood%20Hall.pdf I found an article entitled “A description of the Hall from 1883” which mentions that inside the Hall there were two works of Benzoni. I just need to know where this article has been taken, since I have to refer it in my book.

Thanking you in advance for your kind support, I’m looking forward to reading from you soon.

Kindest Regards

Roberta Bertazzoni

Edited by user 30 October 2011 17:07:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#2 Posted : 04 November 2011 00:00:31(UTC)
shallcross

Roberto

To try and answer some of your questions

The Architect of Errwood Hall was Alexander Roos born in 1810 the son of a German cabinet maker living in Rome, he studied in Rome until 1833 arriving in England in 1834, The land was purchased from William Jodrell at a cost of £9250.00 on the 9th April 1832' the actual completion date of the house is a little sketchy but I think probably 1845 certainly Samuel Grimshaw III was recorded as living nearby at Errwood Farm in 1841, no doubt overseeing the construction of The Hall

There is a lithograph print produced by Roos of the Hall at Buxton Museum.

Demolition is also not straight forward The Hall and contents were sold in 1930 and the Hall was used for a short while as a youth Hostel, during the construction of Fernilee reservoir starting in 1932 some of the stone from Errwood Hall was removed and used to construct the waterboard houses attached to that contract at Fernilee,The High Peak News reported on 3rd April 1943 that the roof and lead had been removed, part of the stonework from one wing was removed and that many of the windows that remained had been broken.

By 1960 R.A.H. Neal in the Buxton Advertiser  noted that the Hall was a ruin but a small stone coat of arms was still in place over what remained of the front door.

The whole of the contents of the Hall were sold by public auction over three days starting 16th June 1930 by Messers Turner & son and the sale and prices achieved were advertised and reported in The Macclesfield Courier.

The reference to the Marble statue of the immaculate conception by Benzoni is taken from an article titled a visit to Errwood Hall near Buxton and appeared in the Buxton Advertisers edition of 23 May 1883

I hope this helps you and good luck with your book

Shallcross
eroark  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2015 18:35:55(UTC)
eroark

United States

I am trying to reach Roberta Bertazzoni, who posted to this forum in 2011. I am writing an article about a sculpture by Giovanni Maria Benzoni in an American cemetery and wish to discuss my research with her. I can find no contact info for her online. If you can share an email address, etc., I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Elisabeth Roark
Associate Professor of Art History
Chatham University
Adnepos  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2015 22:31:19(UTC)
Adnepos

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eroark Go to Quoted Post
I am trying to reach Roberta Bertazzoni, who posted to this forum in 2011. I am writing an article about a sculpture by Giovanni Maria Benzoni in an American cemetery and wish to discuss my research with her. I can find no contact info for her online. If you can share an email address, etc., I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Elisabeth Roark
Associate Professor of Art History
Chatham University

Dear Elizabeth

Roberta appears to be on Facebook, most recent posting an hour ago. You could try contacting her via 'friend request'.

A