logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cawright1  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2016 23:20:43(UTC)
cawright1

Groups: Member

Last night I finished off a book I found in the Blyth Hosp Charity shop in Whaley. 'Arthur Jackson remembers'. It was such a pleasure to read, full of great anecdotes about turn of the century - and between the wars - Whaley, Taxal, Kettleshulme et al. Held togther with extracts of moving poetry, written either by his own good self and/or feted poets. His love of life, the loss of an innocence, the changing times, the reverence for his beloved late wife, the sheer nostalgia in his words left me thinking what a thoroughly decent, romantic and interesting man Arthur was. The age of the book was not apparent, so I was unsure if he was still around. Unfortunately, Google was not my friend this time, as it informed me that Arthur had passed some five years ago. Such a shame, I feel a kindred spirit, and I would have loved to have spent some time with him.

I mean, who can resist a chapter starting like this ...

" I'm an old man now, and as I sit next to my roaring fire, watching the western wind dragging the snow over my beloved Taxal Moor .....".

Did anyone on here know (or know of) Arthur?

Edited by user 13 June 2016 23:22:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified