logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sarah  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2009 20:34:22(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Hello Whaleybridge forum members!

My name is Sarah Pickering and i am a second year environmental science student at the University of Leeds. I have been set a piece of coursework that involves assessing the possibility of building houses in the area of walkers pit. This is just a pretend role play exercise but it has to be carried out in the style a professional report. I have been given historical information about the area from 1900+. i know that there was a bleach works and a mining site.

I would be interested to find out if that is still there and working? also does anyone know why and when it shut down if it has? any info on this would be great. it seems impossible to find anything out about this off the internet.

Also has there been any previous enquiries into building housing on the site? if so why was it refused.

Any other info you could give me on this site would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2009 10:01:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well a very good morning to you Fedup,

I don’t know if you knew but I was called away at very short notice about ten days ago; hence my absence from this forum.

I was in very basic accommodation but did have access to the internet but it was a bit ancient, almost steam driven in fact so I could only view and not take part in my brief spells off duty. I was able to send but not receive emails.

Anyway I tuned into the forum and noticed that there was a posting about The Walker Pit.

This immediately started alarm bells to ring and I was suddenly able to look into the near future.

Now, Fedup, you may not know this but Jake Towers the home of our leader was formerly the main residence of a Mr Walker. I could see the panic this reference to The Walker Pit might start in Whaley.

For all anyone knew our King might be living on top of an old mine shaft and his position might be becoming more precarious by the day. I started to get visions of his citizens rushing up to Jodrell Meadow with pit props and raking shores to protect his property; people would imagine that the King and Queen Jake could at any time be sucked down into a black abyss that was The Walker Pit.

Now I know what you are going to say Fedup; that some people wouldn’t mind if that happened indeed a very small minority might well have welcomed it but there was no need to worry The Walker Pit was actually situated in the other twin city that is Horwich End.

So our beloved leader was never in danger of falling down an air shaft although the thought of him being shafted again might appeal to some folk.

I drove past the house on Jodrell Meadow early this morning and can report that all is well.

But just a final point, My Lord, Mr and Mrs Walker did spend a lot of time digging in your garden so you never just know. Mind how you go, Sir.

R. S-S