logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2009 10:03:54(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

R.S.S has sent me another great picture to scan and put on the forum, along with the following text.

"Some time ago on the old forum Cllr Jon Goldfinch posted a picture of the Whaley Bridge fountain which has since been lost or more probably acquired and is now nowhere to be seen. A thorough search of the High Peak took place and there were several reported sightings but all to no avail.

However, it was not the only water feature in Whaley and I attach a photo of the other one; it is a drinking well at the corner of Bridge Street and Market Street, almost directly opposite our lost fountain. I am sure this is quite a famous old photo and not unique to myself so readers may have seen it before but I think it is worth another look.

I had almost forgotten about our well but as I was looking through my collection this photo jumped out at me and I did not really know why. But after studying it for a few minutes the reason became obvious; the smaller of the two gentlemen is obviously a forefather of our own King Jake. It rather seems to me that he was filling his churn with water to take down to his corner shop to fill empty bottles at no cost and then sell them on at extortionate rates to the gullible members of the public.

No wonder he is smiling; he was probably doing as well in that far off credit crunch as he is today."

Cheers

Jon Goldfinch.

File Attachment(s):
bridge_st_mkt_st well.jpg (579kb) downloaded 153 time(s).
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
CllrJonG  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2009 10:09:52(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

These look like two real characters.

The really distinctive stick that the chap on the right is using will hopefully allow someone to put a name to the faces.

I wonder what happened to the drinking fountain.

I reattach the picture of the old water fountain that RSS mentioned in the previous post.

Cheers

Jon Goldfinch.

File Attachment(s):
waterfountain0001v1.jpg (715kb) downloaded 109 time(s).
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Jake  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2009 16:16:27(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Hi Y'll

I'm sorry but the short guy in the photo does not look anything like me,as you can see from my profile picture not even a slight resemblance, and I don't own a flat cap. I do own a bucket though.

Jake

Edited by user 28 March 2009 16:18:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2009 19:57:25(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is there an hole in your bucket, dear Jake, dear Jake.......... Seriously Jake, I have to agree with you, nothing like you at all. In fact, dear leader, I think the bucket has a closer resemblance, in profile of course!!!!
Jake  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2009 07:39:14(UTC)

Hi Fedup
I just laughed when I read your reply, I keep looking at the bucket and the more I do so, the more I see the likeness quite worrying really.
Stuart  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2009 12:00:22(UTC)
Stuart

Man

I think the chap on the left has something of the Stuart Rawnsley look about him, i can imagine him doing a Norman Wisdom impression!
Fedup  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2009 19:32:03(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Now Stuart, maybe it is Norman Wisdom. Perhaps he was a closet Whaley Bridge resident!

It's a great photo though. Hope we find out who these two jolly gentlemen are.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 06 April 2009 16:08:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Fedup wrote:
Now Stuart, maybe it is Norman Wisdom. Perhaps he was a closet Whaley Bridge resident!

It's a great photo though. Hope we find out who these two jolly gentlemen are.

Hello Fedup,

The two gentlemen in the photo are the King Jake look-alike Elias Wild who was the Whaley milkman. He lived at Hockerley Farm with his sister; neither of them married. He was certainly delivering milk after the Second World War.

He is pictured with his good friend Harry Boland who was the rent collector for the Jodrell Estate. If you remember from the last forum there was a series of flags that went from the top of  Flag Field steps on Whaley Lane across Jodrell Meadow, which had yet to be built, and on up to Hockerley Hall. These flags were laid solely for the rent collector’s use.

There is a matchbox bungalow on Jodrell Meadow called Flag Field I believe.

R. S-S

Jake  
#9 Posted : 07 April 2009 07:03:09(UTC)

I am sorry but if Elias Wild was around now I am sure he would be most preturbed at being told he looked like me, I can only agree with Fedup the bucket bears a closer resemblance to me.

To my knowledge, and I may be wrong, but the Bungalow you refer to on Jodrell Meadow must be the one just off the Meadow which has the industrial unit by it as the others at the start of the Meadow are all numbered rather than having a name.

Jake
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 07 April 2009 12:47:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Jake wrote:
I am sorry but if Elias Wild was around now I am sure he would be most preturbed at being told he looked like me, I can only agree with Fedup the bucket bears a closer resemblance to me.

To my knowledge, and I may be wrong, but the Bungalow you refer to on Jodrell Meadow must be the one just off the Meadow which has the industrial unit by it as the others at the start of the Meadow are all numbered rather than having a name.

Jake

You are indeed correct, Sir that the bungalows on your road are numbered but some, if not all, have names as well.

The whole of that area was known as Flag Fields before there were any houses built upon it.

Number 8 is Flag Fields and others have names one being Cowburn View. As I rarely pass along that road and my memory is not as sharp as it once was I can’t remember any others but you only need to take a brief walk to find out for yourself.

I look forward to your response.

By the way am I correct in my belief that this Thursday is your last as chair of the Council?

If so, and as I am sure there will be a great gathering for such an occasion, can you let me know where I can purchase a ticket to see your last address to your public?

R. S-S

Jake  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2009 15:10:34(UTC)

Hi R. S-S

I happened to walk down the Meadow this morning and did notice that I think it was No 4 was called Cowburn View but could not find any others with a name on them but now I know the house that you are refering to I will have another look next time I pass.

You are correct in thinking that the Council meeting this Thursday is my last full meeting as Chair. I will pass that responsibility on at the start of the May meeting, at which time I will make my last address to the public. I very much doubt if one will need a ticket should one wish to attend the meeting, normally we have plenty of spare seats, but I do take your point.

Security is tight as we have a Police presence at the start of each meeting so the officer could come in very handy if the euphoric person, sorry, crowd does need controlling, and should it get really out of hand I'm sure the officer concerned will be able to call for back up, However I'm not sure that the local officers have had riot control training, lets hope that this does not prove to be a problem.

Jake

Edited by user 07 April 2009 15:17:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified