logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#41 Posted : 24 March 2010 17:16:21(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Once again CllrJonG has proved he is a man of action and the Photo Library is now located at the top of the first page on the Local History forum.

There are some brilliant photo's under this heading but I am sure there are other photo's that have appeared under different topic's that are not included.

I can remember pictures of the Princess Cinema, Corn Mill, Golf Course, Errwood Hall, Toddbrook Reservoir which do not appear in the Photo Library. I only hope the members who contributed these photo's are able to put them in the library because I think it's a great idea to have all pictures in one place. However, I would agree with R. S-S that the topic should be for photo's only and we don't need to see any dialogue other than a short description.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#42 Posted : 24 March 2010 17:26:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

LAYOUT OF THE OLD 10 HOLE WHALEY GOLF COURSE:

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#43 Posted : 24 March 2010 17:37:14(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

TOP OF HORWICH BURIAL SOCIETY PROCESSION PASSING THE COCK HOTEL AND ROSIE BANK COTTAGES NOW DEMOLISHED AND THE LAND USED AS THE PUB’S CAR PARK.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#44 Posted : 24 March 2010 17:50:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

1937 TOP OF HORWICH BURIAL SOCIETY MEMBERS CENTENARY BADGE.

Horwich Ender  
#45 Posted : 25 March 2010 17:18:43(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S

Many thanks for sharing with us your photo's by putting them in the photo library where they will remain at the top of the page for all members to see and enjoy. I only hope other contributors are able to do the same.

I may be wrong but I think it was your good self who published the pictures of the old corn mill. If I am correct, when you get time, would you be kind enough to place these in the photo library.

On another subject, I am sure by now you will have accepted Barry Rudd's water weekend invitation to be the main speaker at the Mechanics on June 11.

I know your topic will be “local history” but perhaps you could give us an inkling of the detail of your presentation as this is something I am really looking forward to.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#46 Posted : 25 March 2010 18:02:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

And a very good afternoon to you HE,

I did indeed post the photos of the Corn Mill on the forum and as you have been so taken with them I shall put them in the photo library as soon as I possibly can; certainly before the end of the weekend. In actual fact I think I have turned up another photo of the Mill that certainly won’t have been seen on here.
So brace yourself for a little something for the weekend, Sir.

With regards to Barry Rudd’s invitation (although personally I do not recall such a thing) I would of course have jumped at the opportunity and it may yet happen.
Sadly my busy months are June and November so I might be unavailable; but you never know.
I did see your post ‘cometh the hour’ and all that stuff and to be honest I was very flattered. Well a bit interested anyway.

I am certainly not for the moment writing off this unique opportunity to entertain and address your good self and the rest of the populous but Barry might have to call someone from the bench in June. You might want to put on the reserve shirt yourself?
Hopefully not; for just now the door is still open and I have not yet ruled out the possibility of a filmed appearance. I know disappointing as that might be you’ll just have to put up with it.
Now where’s my cine camera?

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#47 Posted : 25 March 2010 20:10:54(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Please try not to let us down R. S-S.

Your fans await you.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#48 Posted : 30 March 2010 20:00:11(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello everybody and particularly your good self, Buggyite,

A few months ago we talked about the house in Bugsworth that had been on the telly and when being restored, probably in about 1972, the builders pointed the gable end with the letters YHA to denote the buildings former use as a youth hostel.
I had a look last year and the pointing was still very much intact but some youth hostels advertised more openly as did Windgather Cottage.

See photo below:

R. S-S

By the way Buggyite did you check out your very own youth hostel by any chance?

buggyite  
#49 Posted : 30 March 2010 20:42:43(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Hello R S-S,

No, I haven't looked yet; but will do soon. I have some more photos to take showing idiotic work done at our expense by "the council" down there - in particular a new sign stating "20mph when lights flash" where there are no lights, flashing or otherwise.

I never knew the property in question had ever been a youth hostel, but then I've only lived here for around 20 years!

ps. cracking picture of Windgather Rocks youth hostel!

Edited by user 30 March 2010 20:43:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
parabuild  
#50 Posted : 30 March 2010 22:23:40(UTC)
parabuild

Man

.March 1939

Edited by user 30 March 2010 22:25:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild attached the following image(s):
yha.jpg
yha2.jpg
G. Jackson  
#51 Posted : 30 March 2010 22:55:16(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Parabuild,

Thanks for the cutting about the opening of the youth hostel in Kett. I have spent many a happy night there before a grueling day on the rocks. You didn't give a date  when it opened though. Can you help?

parabuild  
#52 Posted : 31 March 2010 07:24:52(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The official opening date of the Windgather hostel was 27th March 1939.  An earlier newspaper report suggested that it was likely to be completed by l;ate November 1938 so it's possible that it opened sooner.

Here it is today, courtesy of Google Street View

parabuild attached the following image(s):
yha3.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#53 Posted : 01 April 2010 17:13:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Here is a view from the other side of the Windgather Youth Hostel.
I am not sure exactly when it closed as a Youth Hostel, I’ll try to find out, but I’m sure some contributors on here will have bunked-up there in the past.
Perhaps Devious and Mrs Curious. Not together I hasten to add; oh no in those days that sort of thing was very seriously frowned upon.
Almost Basil Fawlty like and up at Windgather rather than Torquay you would have had a character, similar to the Major, wandering around with a shotgun to ensure such sordid happenings did not happen.
A character not to dissimilar to Jon on a Cormorant hunt I would imagine.

R. S-S

I’ll put this photo in the library.

Devious  
#54 Posted : 01 April 2010 23:40:14(UTC)
Devious

RSS.   When I used to go to Windgather it was a little before Mrs Curious was around.  It would be in the early fiftes and they had a small sweet counter. You had to knock at the door and Miss Booth would let you in and take your pennies in exchange for the sweets. I may be wrong with the name but I am quite sure it was miss Booth and her sister who ran the hostel.  I lived in one of the houses just below the hostel for about 5 years ( Chapel House ).

Devious

Radar  
#55 Posted : 20 August 2010 13:12:38(UTC)
Radar

What great photos of Windgather Youth Hostel, thanks RSS

I was only thinking about the hostel a couple of weeks ago when I drove past.

I used to visit with members of  St. Christopher's Cycling Club

Windgather was a 40 mile round trip starting in Cheadle in Stockport and the youth hostel was a very welcome lunch stop where we would order a "pot of tea for 15 please" and they did actually have a huge metal tea pot.

The last time I went was probably around 1978.

Happy days!

Radar