logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Frankie  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2009 16:49:02(UTC)
Frankie

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Horwich End School 1953. Mr Arthur (PoP) West Headmaster.

File Attachment(s):
SWScan00002.JPG (3,431kb) downloaded 375 time(s).
thanks 1 user thanked Frankie for this useful post.
katiesmummy on 17/08/2015(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2009 18:11:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello to you my good friend Frankie,

Absolutely brilliant photo; I presume you are on it. I must say Pop did send a slight shudder through me when I saw him even though I did not attend that school.

I presume, from your great knowledge and high intelligence as displayed on this forum, that when you left Horwich End Academy you would have furthered your education at the Elnor Lane Grammar School. Is that correct, Sir?

R. S-S

Edited by moderator 19 May 2009 16:03:25(UTC)  | Reason: Formatting issue

Fedup  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2009 19:23:41(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello Frankie

As a total shot in the dark, are you in the front row, sporting a very smart checked shirt? Be honest now!!

Fabulous photo! Keep 'em coming in. As a relative newcomer (30 years) to Whaley Bridge, it truly is so interesting to see the old photos and read the history of the local area. Fascinating stuff!
Jake  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2009 19:50:25(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I think you right Fedup looks like Frankie, front row, second from the right in the check shirt.

Great photo which I presume is the annual class photo, did that mean it was treated like today, when they bring in a professional photographer, take individual and class photo's which the parents can buy and embarrass you with in later life when you bring your first girlfriend home.

Jake
Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2009 21:36:25(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi all.

What a fab photo ! What happy looking kids - woulds this have been one particular class or a year group within the school. Would this school be the one on Buxton Road ? (Excuse my geography but sometimes I need a litte more info than locals !! he-he.) Whilst I wouldn't know personally anyone on the photo I think it is a lovely photo of the times - I particularly am impressed by the rows of girls/boys/girls/boys/girls !!! Well done and I look forward to further postings on this photo - who knows what it may reveal . :-)
Frankie  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2009 11:39:02(UTC)
Frankie

Dear all

Thanks for your interest and comments on the photo of Horwich End School. The actual photo is of standard four Pop West's class.Mr West was a strict headmaster and was keen to maintain disipline with his short bent cane, never dared to answer him back. He could be scary with his quick temper even so the morning after the coucil meeting the night before at the Jodrell Arms. I do recollect him sitting in the famous chair and wearing the chain of office.Perhaps Jake would clarify that.

All you talent spotters, yes that is me in the check shirt .nice to know after all these years to be recognised top marks to you all.   I still love country music.

Frankie.

Jake  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2009 12:31:05(UTC)

Hi Frankie

Yes of course we can spot talent when we see it, but was it just a one off photo or as I say the annual class picture taken by a professional and did your parents have to buy it like they do nowadays?

I now have to ask, if you like country music one presumes you also liked westerns and had you own cap gun that you fired at your uncle's telly when the westerns were on? I know I did, I killed so many baddies the notches on my bed post mean't my bed was in danger of collapse, if you did, then perhaps the broken valves in the telly were your fault.

Regarding Mr West I will have to check the role of honour board upstairs in the Mechanics next time I'm passing but I'm not sure if it goes back that far.

Jake

Edited by user 19 May 2009 12:36:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2009 12:37:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well Frankie,

They are better talent spotters than I am.

I have had another look and I still can not see the likeness. Ah well, I suppose it was over half a century ago.

Tell me Frankie after leaving school for the day did you nip into Tommy Bagshaw’s shop for a packet of spangles or some cough candy?

R. S-S

Edited by moderator 19 May 2009 16:02:38(UTC)  | Reason: Formatting issue

Jake  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2009 12:41:24(UTC)

Crikey lads you knew how to enjoy yourselves in the good old day's but your sweet selection leaves many questions, what about sherbert lemons, gob stoppers and bubble gum,?

Jake
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2009 12:57:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I doubt very much if Tommy (or Mr Bagshaw as I always called him) would have had such dubious delights as bubble gum and gob stoppers in his shop. For goodness sake this is Horwich End we are discussing not Liverpool.

R. S-S

Edited by moderator 19 May 2009 16:04:18(UTC)  | Reason: Formatting issue

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2009 13:37:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hey Frankie,

I hope Pop West, Leader of the Council and Headmaster of Horwich End Academy, did not catch you in the girl’s playground making use of the air raid shelter for anything other than an air raid. I don’t think standard 4 ever heard the sirens and had need of that fine building, soundly built of stock brick with a concrete roof, designed only to keep you safe.

Incidentally Frankie there were two other air raid shelters very close by for use in a crisis. You know where they were/are I expect. You could also let us know, if you can, if the air raid siren was the same one as the fire brigade’s siren.

R. S-S

Edited by moderator 19 May 2009 16:05:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#12 Posted : 19 May 2009 13:39:01(UTC)
Frankie

R.S.S         Jake                             Another photo Horwich End School 1947 (Not on this one)

Yes the photographs were annual events taken by a professional photographer. We used to take them home and mother would say " Not more photographs do they think we are made of  money". We then had to return the photos to school feeling very sheepish. Tommy Bagshaws was a stop off after school many times to view his penny tray and more so select one item. If you had threepence you could go to the Co-op and ask Johnny Swindells for a bag of broken biscuits, you might get lucky and get a couple of chocolate digestives.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

File Attachment(s):
SWScan00005.bmp (4,000kb) downloaded 190 time(s).
Frankie  
#13 Posted : 19 May 2009 16:19:31(UTC)
Frankie

Last message deleted due to photo not downloading.Will try again. Horwich End School 1952

Still won't download.

Edited by user 19 May 2009 16:24:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#14 Posted : 19 May 2009 16:24:22(UTC)

OK Frankie

What can I say another brilliant photo, it brings back all sorts of memories for me, but it makes me want to ask another question, why arn't you wearing school uniform? a photo taken outside in a group would have meant I would have worn a school cap as part of the uniform.

I know what R. S-S will say "Liverpool, school uniform?" that I must have gone to a very posh school.

I went to Booker Avenue primary in Liverpool a state school but uniform was a must even though my school cap which I hated spent most of its time on the flat roof of the school. the strange thing was it always seemed to find its way back to me. I must have had the only Australian cap in the school it was like a boomerang.

I am not sure I want to know what went on in these various air raid shelters, suggestions on a postcard please, and as for having threepence well you must have been very rich, I quite often had to collect jam jars to get some extra sweet money.

Jake

Edited by user 19 May 2009 16:25:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#15 Posted : 19 May 2009 16:37:43(UTC)
Frankie

Jake,    School uniforms never heard of in all my school days at least not for us . I rember one of my school friends (a farmers son) wearing hob nail boots all through his junior days at school. Fancy uniforms did not make good scholars. Out of my class at Horwich End many went on to top jobs.       Regards. F

Frankie  
#16 Posted : 19 May 2009 16:47:09(UTC)
Frankie

Horwich End School  1952  Standard 2&3   Sorry having problems dowloading photo.Give up

Edited by user 19 May 2009 17:01:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#17 Posted : 19 May 2009 17:01:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Frankie,

Anything on the Horwich End air raid shelters or fire sirens yet?

By the way Frankie, whilst we are having this enlightening discussion about your school and Horwich End; I must tell you that I had a walk up the Goyt Valley recently. Obviously before the monsoon season had set in.
But I set off from your beloved Botany and went past the old Jug and Spoon, still in pretty good order although a bit of TLC would not go amiss. Past Taxal Duckpond which is an absolute disgrace to what it was just ten years ago and on to the weir where everything started.

And do you know what Frankie? There’s only a damn great tree growing out of the roof of the monitoring building. It just goes to show; leave something for five minutes and it either disappears or goes to rack and ruin. And the last bit of information I have for you, which will mean little if anything to most readers, is that you can hardly see the goat.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#18 Posted : 19 May 2009 17:03:38(UTC)
Gnatalee

Jake and Frankie

Love the 2nd photo also - wonder where they all are now?

Regarding uniforms, although born in Liverpool I was brought up "over the water" so-to-speak, and I never wore uniform until I went to High School. Was it just your school who had a uniform or did all the other junior schools have them as well Jake? Also, at junior school, we only had individual photos taken by the photographer. Would have been nice to have class photos to look back on. Because my brother was in the school football team he got in the team photo and we've still got various copies of them.

Gnats
Jake  
#19 Posted : 19 May 2009 18:30:23(UTC)

Gnatalee

In answer to your question I don't really know all I can tell you is that I was only at Booker Avenue for about 12mths when we first moved into the area and it was the closest school to my house but it was not a church school (blue blazer and cap).

My father was a roman catholic so I was destined for a catholic primary when a place became available so in my second year I was sent to St. Austins RC school which was next to the church of the same name in Aigburth Liverpool, they again had a uniform but I think only from the third year onwards which meant when I was seven I was presented with short grey trousers, a grey shirt. and maroon blazer and dam cap, together with a striped tie, the widest stripe was maroon of course but I can't remember the other colours. I looked a prat, but did eventually manage to lose the cap which was not replaced.

I passed the eleven plus and the entrance exam to St. Edwards college I was then given a bright purple school uniform. The school was run by Christian Brothers who were as mad as hatters it was a very strict regime and I became very friendly with the leather strap they used for punishment. I learnt very quickly that if I told them I had lost my school cap then a meeting with the strap was the end result I therefore compromised and only wore it when getting on or off the bus that took me to school.

The severity of those Christian Brother has guaranteed that I am  now a lapsed RC.

I think my mother will have the photos of my school days, one day I will get hold of them and give you all a laugh.

Jake

Edited by user 19 May 2009 18:38:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#20 Posted : 19 May 2009 18:32:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening Frankie,

Just a quick follow up on my last post that was addressed to you.

I mentioned I could hardly see the goat up the Goyt Valley and I just wonder how many on this forum, educated as they are, have seen the goats of Whaley Bridge? Goat, I know is not quite the correct spelling, but that is certainly how it is pronounced locally and how 99 out of a hundred would spell it anyway.

I imagine you can see a goat out of your bedroom window and I would imagine Jake sees one every day. There’s a very big goat in Whaley and has been for hundreds of years.

Any wiser Jake?

R.S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Hi Frankie,

Anything on the Horwich End air raid shelters or fire sirens yet?

By the way Frankie, whilst we are having this enlightening discussion about your school and Horwich End; I must tell you that I had a walk up the Goyt Valley recently. Obviously before the monsoon season had set in.
But I set off from your beloved Botany and went past the old Jug and Spoon, still in pretty good order although a bit of TLC would not go amiss. Past Taxal Duckpond which is an absolute disgrace to what it was just ten years ago and on to the weir where everything started.

And do you know what Frankie? There’s only a damn great tree growing out of the roof of the monitoring building. It just goes to show; leave something for five minutes and it either disappears or goes to rack and ruin. And the last bit of information I have for you, which will mean little if anything to most readers, is that you can hardly see the goat.

R. S-S