logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dickb1  
#1 Posted : 10 July 2010 19:46:30(UTC)
dickb1

Groups: Member

I'm trying to find out more about the 'Upcast Shaft' of the Waterloo Colliery on Bings Road which is still there today beside 'Winch House'.  In the photograph of Christ Church on this website ('Churches'), taken, it says, in about 1910, the shaft can be made out through the trees bottom left, emitting what appears to be a haze of smoke, consistent with its being the 'furnace ventilation system' for the colliery.  (Not the colliery chimney itself, which is unmissably to the right of the church further down on the other side of the tramway.)   The incredibly dangerous business of lighting fires down coal mines to draw fresh air through them was outlawed in 1911.  The shaft seems to have been the same height as it is today, and was possibly never any higher.  It looks almost crenellated at the top.  It was probably built on a redundant mine shaft, inside the old winch house.  Does anyone know any more, and where I could get hold of a clear copy of that wonderful photograph?

umtali  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2010 08:39:43(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Not too sure if this is much better, perhaps a little.
umtali attached the following image(s):
church.jpg
umtali  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2010 08:53:55(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Enlarged section

umtali attached the following image(s):
church2.jpg
church3.jpg
church4.jpg
dickb1  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2010 16:51:05(UTC)
dickb1

Thanks very much for your efforts. I don't know whether the smoke is coming from the upcast shaft or the locomotive at the front of that beautiful rake of LNWR(?) carriages in the distance. Your queried structure is the shearlegs apparatus over one of the shafts at the pithead: the actual pithead winding gear was slightly shorter and to the left, so must be hidden by the southern end of the church. There are some great views of all these on http://www.pdmhs.com/PDF...nd%20Whaley%20Bridge.pdf
A picture on page 48 of "Coal Mining around Whaley Bridge" by John Leach (published by Derbyshire Library Service 1992) shows the Coronation procession passing the station in 1911, with the pithead (but no chimney) in the background up on the hill.
Thanks for your help.
Norm  
#5 Posted : 11 July 2010 17:02:46(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Welcome dickb1.

The picture on the website was taken from this thread

http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=468

That contains similar info.

Cheers

Norm

Edited by user 11 July 2010 17:06:00(UTC)  | Reason: Neatness :)

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 11 July 2010 18:29:09(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I’m not really into coal mining but I have a few photos of the local pits.

Below is a photo of Waterloo Pit.

Tell you what I think I might just have a go at mining now; brace yourselves.

In fact before I do the promised topic of Fernilee Reservoir and the Powder Mills I’ll do a short thread on the Whaley Bridge Mining disaster in Horwich End starting tomorrow.

Are you reading this HE?

R. S-S

Horwich Ender  
#7 Posted : 11 July 2010 19:27:23(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Reading and very much looking forward to tomorrows thread.

dickb1  
#8 Posted : 11 July 2010 19:45:42(UTC)
dickb1

Hi Norm! We last met at Chalkers when Old Hall won the Plate on Finals Night!

And hallo to you R. S-S. That's a superb picture, but I think it's been reversed. I think it was taken over the wall to the south of number 21 Old Road (the gable end with the chimney pot), which is on the western side of Old Road looking north towards Waterloo, and where the tramway crossed it near the junction with Bings Road.
Norm  
#9 Posted : 11 July 2010 20:06:09(UTC)
Norm

Man

dickb1 wrote:
Hi Norm! We last met at Chalkers when Old Hall won the Plate on Finals Night!

And hallo to you R. S-S. That's a superb picture, but I think it's been reversed. I think it was taken over the wall to the south of number 21 Old Road (the gable end with the chimney pot), which is on the western side of Old Road looking north towards Waterloo, and where the tramway crossed it near the junction with Bings Road.

That's the problem everyone knows Well Known Norm as H E likes to call me, but I meet everyone else and haven't a clue who is who. Still it may prove that I am known.

I have put the photo on the website, if it is confirmed that it is the wrong way round I will flip it over. I will watch this thread for confirmation, but I suspect it is wrong.

dickb1  
#10 Posted : 11 July 2010 20:38:03(UTC)
dickb1

Norm - now is not the time and place to bring up the Golden Arrow, and where it ran to and from, but I'd like it on record that I was responsible for the set of spares to which all the answers were "Norman".

I was up on Old Road last week having a nose around, but if anybody with more expert local knowledge can confirm where the photo was taken from, I'd be grateful. My interest isn't primarily in coal mining either - I was showing the site to my father-in-law who was a steeplejack, and who is busy documenting noteworthy chimneys. At first I thought that the shaft at Winch House on Bings Road was the sawn-off remains of a colliery chimney, but I now reckon that it was never any higher than it is now, and was built on a disused shaft as a ventilation stack. I've become fascinated by this episode in Whaley history, and am very grateful for the interest shown by members of the Forum. I've also picked up some valuable info about fish and chips at Barmoor Clough!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 12 July 2010 14:52:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon to you Dickb1,

I’ve just had a look at the photo and you are probably correct with your assumptions.

A lot of old photos originally came via glass plates and if these were put in the machine the wrong way round they were obviously reprinted the wrong way round.

I don’t know if that makes any sense to you. To be honest it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me but I think that must be what happened.
It has occurred on here once before when I put an image of Shallcross Manor on.

For instance if we had a glass plate of Well Known Norm and on it he was looking to the right if we put the plate in the wrong way when it was reprinted he would be looking to the left.
However, judging by the recent flirtatious posts between Well Known Norm and G Jackson I don’t think either of them knows which way to turn.

Hope this helps.

R. S-S

Dickb1, text size is for some who are not able to read as easily as others. You may want to follow suit.

dickb1  
#12 Posted : 12 July 2010 15:11:25(UTC)
dickb1

And good afternoon to you, Sir!

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the photograph, and for the advice about font size.  (I don't find it that easy myself these days...)

If we put our mutual friend in the machine the wrong way round he'd be Mr Onn Wonk Llew, of course.  (I'd best leave it at that.)

dickb1  
#13 Posted : 12 July 2010 15:14:41(UTC)
dickb1

R. S-S

Now that looks as if I've totally ignored your advice about font size, and yet when I hit 'Post' it was definitely larger.  Why has the message appeared in the same old tiny version?

Norm  
#14 Posted : 12 July 2010 17:42:18(UTC)
Norm

Man

Now, I am all for helping disabled people in any sort of way, and what ever the disability is. While we are talking about font sizes and such why don't people use the computer to help them, thinking of George here.

I know Windows keys can be daunting, something like Ctrl, Alt and Enter while holding your nose on F3 and your big toe on tab is not really viable (please don't try it, it is a waste of time, I hope, and casualty may be busy anyway).

But Ctrl (Bottom left) and then pressing + (Up rightish, above P and a bit to the right) while still pressing Ctrl makes the font larger and larger the more you press +. To make it smaller use - (figures really). The + and - on the extreme right should work as well. That way it doesn't matter what font size the writer uses.

Please can users try this and get an opinion whether it is any use. 

Getting back to the thread........ I will flip the picture over and see how it looks.

Mr Onn Wonk Llew  (i like that )

(Ahh the Golden Arrow, how things haunt me)

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 12 July 2010 17:57:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Just a little bit of extra information for you Dickb1:

GISBORNE PIT - Whaley Bridge Colliery (Buxton Lime Company Ltd)

Was opened in 1815 being called the WATERLOO PIT and only later became known as the Gisborne from the family who owned it.    Eventually its mineral rights were leased by the L. & N.W. Railway to the Buxton Lime Company in 1885.

In 1861 new pumps were installed.

In 1880 a Roof Fall injured one man.

In 1885 Mr John Harvey became Under Manager.

In 1886 Anthony Ollerenshaw went blasting and was crushed by a 2-ton stone.   He was attended by Dr Allan.

In 1911 the pit was closed down.

The Gisborne Pit supplied steam heating from its Pit Boiler to the Wesleyan Chapel and School for ONE SHILLING PER ANNUM, after first offering to remove the Wesleyan School to another site.

dickb1  
#16 Posted : 12 July 2010 21:01:02(UTC)
dickb1

Thanks R. S-S - all very interesting. I suppose that the pithead buildings were removed quite quickly, and the site made safe? There are at least three deep shafts there, and they haven't been built over, of course.
By the way, the last school I taught in didn't have a local pit to supply their hot air, so they employed me.
Fedup  
#17 Posted : 13 July 2010 20:09:45(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

This Dr Allan keeps popping up as attending the victims of these dreadful accidents.

What's up with the man - he never seems to do them any good at all.

Edited by user 13 July 2010 20:10:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 17 July 2010 10:07:47(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hey Come on, Fedup,

Give poor old Doctor Allan a chance.

If you were down’t pit and a 2 ton stone dropped on you do you think anyone from Goyt Valley Medical Practice would come rushing to your aid?

No I think Doctor Allan did a marvellous job under the circumstances and I would love to see his scales when he weighed the stone and announced it was a 2 tonner.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 18 July 2010 12:54:32(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A bit more information for you Dickd1:

Glossopdale Chronicle

12 September 1874.

the gisborne colliery.    We understand that the new shaft at the above colliery has nearly reached the appointed depth, and that a great abundance of coal is expected to be met with.

Gisborne Pit:

Workings:

Shaft 127 yards deep to:

A 9" Coal Seam - "Callen 7" Mine                    at 29 yds deep

Red Ash or 18" Mine - worked out 1885          at 65 yds deep

White Ash or Smithy Mine - 20" thick     at 87 yds deep

worked between 1867 and 1903

(The Waterloo's "Little Mine" on the White
                              Ash level was worked out on 23 Oct 1891.)

Cannel Coal - thin, not worked in 1885    at 110 yds deep

(At this level the Waterloo Colliery had its
                               "Big Mine" of coal 55" thick, which was worked
                              out in 1893.    Its "Mountain Mine" was 200 yds
                              below this level, at 310 yds deep.)

Mountain Mine or Yard Mine or Kiln Coal -        at 127 yds deep

worked between 1868 and 1875, when stone
                             headings were abandoned.    Reopened in
                             1903 and closed down again in 1911.    The
                             workings led to and joined the Boothman's
                             Old Engine Shaft of the DRUM AND MONKEY
                             PIT shaft is 60 yds deep.

I don’t know if the following reported accident occurred at Waterloo Pit and it probably didn’t because Buxton Lime took over the pit some years later.
But nevertheless it is interesting if only because Doctor Allan doesn’t seem to have turned up.

Glossopdale Chronicle

13 May 1871

coal pit accident.    On Friday week a youth named Joseph Ashmore, son of John Ashmore of Whaley Bridge, met with an accident whilst engaged in the pit belonging to the Buxton Lime Company, at the same place.    From the report in the district it appears that while at work a large quantity of dirt fell from the roof and caught him, crushing him very much.    He is not dangerously hurt although if the full weight of the debris had come upon him, he might have been killed.

Dangerous place Whaley.

R. S-S

george  
#20 Posted : 21 July 2010 19:54:37(UTC)
george

Many thanks Norm for the information on enlarging and reducing the font size, I simply had not come across this before I am finding it a great help. It's easy when you know how.

george