logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sfmans  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2010 20:07:50(UTC)
sfmans

Groups: Member
Man

Is anyone else having problems getting any Freeview TV / radio stations from the Ladder Hill transmitter this evening?

We've got two Freeview boxes attached to two separate aerials and both are showing 'No Signal' ...

Fedup  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2010 20:09:59(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Yes, I'm the same.

Bring back analogue!

Edited by user 15 July 2010 20:10:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Radar  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2010 20:32:50(UTC)
Radar

If Ladder Hill gets it's power from Fernilee the problem is most likely caused by the fact that United Utilities have turned the power off to do some emergency surgery on some trees which are touching the power lines.

The electrician says it should be back on imminently.

Radar

sfmans  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2010 21:38:21(UTC)
sfmans

Man

Back on now, hoorah!

snoopy  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2010 07:59:28(UTC)
snoopy

While on the subject of Freeview. Does anyone know when we will receive the majority of channels. I may be alone here but I don't know a lot about Freeview but I know I am not getting a great deal of channels.

Now I know that the ones I am not getting may not be brilliant but would be nice to be given the choice. 

Radar  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2010 12:26:15(UTC)
Radar

Hi Snoopy,

Most, if not all of the homes in Whaley Bridge get there television signal from the Ladder Hill transmitter which is a relay transmitter rather than a proper transmitter such as Winter Hill. 

I don't believe there any plans to increase the number of channels transmitted via the relay transmitter. This is a problem in lots of areas - mainly rural - around the country.

To get more channels on Freeview - rather than Sky - you have a choice of either buying a Freesat box - such as a Humax foxsat PVR - and having a satellite dish installed, or you can move to Fernilee where the TV signal comes from the Winter Hill transmitter and they get about 100 channels.

If you were to implement plan b and move up the hill, the next time the power in Fernilee goes off and the Ladder Hill relay stops working at least you would still get your pictures from Winter Hill - Problem solved!

Radar

Ed  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2010 13:30:25(UTC)
Ed

Slight thread drift, but does anyone know when we'll get a DAB radio signal? (and no, Im no moving)

Thanks,

Ed
G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2010 19:25:07(UTC)
G. Jackson

Ed, try on Google    ukdigitalradio coverage   and then put in your postcode and it will tell you all you need.

snoopy  
#9 Posted : 19 July 2010 07:33:59(UTC)
snoopy

Cheers Radar.

I thought as much, thanks for the reply. Move to Fernilee! It's a big move just for a more channels, think I will stay where I am.

Edited by user 19 July 2010 07:35:46(UTC)  | Reason: Usual errors

RockBanker  
#10 Posted : 20 July 2010 19:44:52(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I manage (just) to get DAB radio at the front of the house
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
tyke  
#11 Posted : 21 July 2010 07:30:33(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I get a good DAB signal but then I'm on t'other side of the valley to Rock Banker. Sadly though the choice of programs is limited. None of the BBC ones that I personally wanted. Trying to get info on when these might be switched on from the transmitter seems impossible to obtain. Digital UK and the BBC itself do not seem to have their info up to date. Anybody got any other ideas?

Andrew Slater  
#12 Posted : 21 July 2010 21:18:18(UTC)
Andrew Slater

Tyke - you should be able to receive all of the BBC stations on DAB except for out-of-area local ones (which includes Radio Derbyshire).  If you're on the opposite side of the valley from Rock Bank, you should be receiving from Holme Moss - Multiplex 12B: 225.64MHz.  Radio Manchester is on Multiplex 11C and is poor here - I think it comes from Winter Hill and Manchester.

tyke  
#13 Posted : 22 July 2010 13:17:25(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Have just had a re-tune and have picked up the BBC ones at last....did have to raise the radio a bit and are getting occasional burbling caused by a weak signal. Perhaps I need an external aerial or a least a better one. The digital one transmissions are a much stronger signal so presumably they come from somewhere other than Holme Moss. These I get full strength any ideas where they might come from? I don't expect its Ladder Hill.

Andrew Slater  
#14 Posted : 22 July 2010 18:13:36(UTC)
Andrew Slater

Tyke: 

The Digital One transmissions also come from Holme Moss, according to my 'Radio Listener's Guide'. I thought that the BBC transmitted at a lower power than Digital One, but apparently they are slightly higher at 5kW against 4.7kW for Digital One.  Having said that I get a larger error rate on the BBC stations, from a loft-mounted dipole.  There doesn't appear to be any other likely source of a stronger signal - Winter Hill transmits both multiplexes at 10kW and Buxton transmits BBC only at 1kW.  (All transmitters use the same frequencies for a given multiplex and their effect is supposed to be additive.)  Perhaps the book's wrong.  I have confirmed the BBC power via a second source on the web (http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/coverage_maps.htm), but haven't found anything re. Dig One.

There's some info on Holme Moss (but none on DAB output power) here: http://www.thebigtower.com/live/HolmeMoss/Index.htm

Certainly an external or loft-mounted aerial would help.  Alternatively, put the aerial as high as possible and as close as possible to a window facing Holme Moss.  (It's roughly in line with the Birch Vale transmitter (depending where exactly you are), but of course it's much further away.)

tyke  
#15 Posted : 23 July 2010 07:52:10(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Hmm, I think the main problem is Chinley churn is just in the way! It'll have to go!