logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2010 13:16:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

This is the history of the murder of William Wood as commemorated on The Murder Stone on Buxton Old Road (Disley Tops as we know it).

I’ll report it in the usual fashion; that is my contributions will be in black and newspaper reports etc will be in blue.

It’s a bit more interesting than some of the stuff I’ve done recently but it had to be done.

All contributions welcome; well most of them any way.

I’ll do it in the following manner:

First Reports:
Newspaper Articles:
Inquest:
The Trial:
The Execution:
The Murder Stone (Memorial)

So I’ll kick off a bit later today. Bet you can’t wait; I can’t either.

R. S-S
Web Watcher  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2010 13:37:35(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Many people talk about "The Murder Stone" - how far along the top road is it please?
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2010 13:53:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Web Watcher,

Go up Whaley Lane, past The Golf House, past The Fly Tip Lay-by and you will come to a small copse of trees on the left; The Murder Stone Is on the other side of the road.

R. S-S

Web Watcher  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2010 13:54:14(UTC)
Web Watcher

Thank you - I'll have a wander up when the ground has dried out a little bit
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2010 13:59:32(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Web Watcher,

Watch out for this:

Web Watcher  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2010 14:10:25(UTC)
Web Watcher

Will do - know what I'm looking for and where to look for it so I should be able to find it no problem
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 27 July 2010 18:11:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

First reports of the murder:

The Manchester Mercury       (published Tuesday)

22 July 1823

Highway Robbery and Murder.
 On Wednesday last, about seven o'clock, Mr William Wood, of Eyam, Derbyshire, was discovered robbed and murdered by the road side, between Disley and Whaley-bridge, on his return from Manchester Tuesday's market.    This atrocious murder, there is every reason to suppose, was committed by three men, dressed in sailor's clothes, who were observed to follow him through Disley, up the old road, both parties having, it appears, previously met by accident at a public-house, in How-lane.    Mr Wood, having refreshed himself, (being on foot,) left the house, and was followed in about ten minutes by the three men, who taking the same road, came up with him within a short distance of Whaley, where he was found his pockets turned inside out, and his head beaten in the most dreadful manner possible.    The villains, not content with using their own bludgeons, had even taken the stones from the wall, and used them for their hellish purpose; as a large basket-full have been picked up and removed along with the body to the Cock Inn, for the decision of the Coroner's Jury.    Mr Wood is a married man, about 30 years of age, and has a family of three children; and there is too much reason to fear, the murderers have had a considerable booty, as he received a large sum in Manchester, though he had paid several accounts on the day of the murder, one to a gentleman in Stockport.    We had forgotten to state, that the unfortunate man, when found, was buried under the stones of the wall, which they had pulled upon him to conceal him.    No trace has yet been made of the assassins, though they were observed to take the road leading to Buxton.

I’ll tell you what; it’s a hell of a long walk from Manchester to Eyam, if that is what poor William was in the process of.

No doubt Mr G Jackson will be well pleased that Mr Wood’s body was taken to the pub. But not the nearest in fact: he was carried on a cart to the Cock.
For some reason the body carriers by-passed Mrs Swan’s Beerhouse and headed straight to the Cock.
Now in those days the Cock was the pub which is now the derelict Jodrell Arms.
Perhaps the beer was better in The Cock than Mrs Swan’s Beerhouse.

More tomorrow,

R. S-S

Fedup  
#8 Posted : 27 July 2010 18:43:02(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

You took the very words out of my mouth R.S-S.

What an enormous distance to walk, particularly at that time of day. And yet he had money on him. One would have thought he would have hired a carriage or even ridden there on a horse.

Ah well. Perhaps more details will emerge over the next few days.

Carry on R.S-S.

I await with bated breath!!

Edited by user 27 July 2010 18:43:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious  
#9 Posted : 27 July 2010 19:22:12(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Here it is, (bottom right hand side):

Edited by user 27 July 2010 19:23:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious attached the following image(s):
Murder Stone.JPG
G. Jackson  
#10 Posted : 27 July 2010 19:23:20(UTC)
G. Jackson

I seem to remember Mrs. Swan never opened on Wednesday evenings. I think she was an avid Coronation Street fan.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 27 July 2010 20:37:10(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Typical and expected.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 28 July 2010 13:27:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

They’ve not got far and the net is closing in on them.

(Macclesfield Courier.) 

On Thursday morning, three young men, two rather shabbily dressed, and the third in a new fustian jacket and trowsers, came into this town (Macclesfield) and went to the Golden Lion public-house.    The youngest of the three then proceeded to Mr. Burgess's in Chestergate and purchased three complete suits of cloathes, he also bought shoes &c. from Mr. Wainwright, in the same street, and then returned to his companions, who stated they were related to Mr. David Browne, and wished to change their cloathes before they saw him.    Having done so, they had some beef steaks, &c. and left the house, one of them leaving his old cloathes behind him.    The youngest of the three then went into Chestergate, and offered the remainder of the old things to two lads carrying in coals for Mr. Wainwright, who accepted of them: they then proceeded by the Telegraph coach to Manchester.    Shortly afterwards intelligence of the murder having reached Macclesfield, a suspicion arose that these three fellows had been concerned in the deed, and upon examining their old cloathes, they were found much stained with blood.    Mr. Frost, the constable, immediately proceeded to Manchester by the Mail.    We have seen the cloathes of these men, they are much smeared with dirt (evidently from a lime road,) to conceal the blood on them, which in many places is very visible in the inside, and we have not the smallest doubt that the owners of them are the perpetrators of the bloody deed.

(Macclesfield Courier.) 

In addition to the above we have to state, that on Thursday afternoon, about six o'clock, the three fellows against whom there is so strong a presumption of their having perpetrated the horrid deed, proceeded to the Greyhounds public-house, in Oak-street in this town, and called for some liquor.    The landlord observing that the same persons had been at his house the day before, and presenting a very different appearance, being cloathed from head to foot with altogether new cloathes, and having plenty of money in their pockets, a suspicion was awakened in his mind that the men had committed some robbery, and he immediately dispatched his son to the Police-office, from whence, after communicating the intelligence, two Officers accompanied him to the house, but unfortunately before they got there two of them had left; the third was, however, luckily taken into custody, who, having first given information of some consequence upon the subject, was conveyed to the New Bailey Prison.    Intelligent search was made in all directions during the night in quest of the other two, but without success.    On Friday morning, they were seen drinking with some women at the Coach and Horses public-house, in St. George's-road, and the landlord being struck with their appearance, sent to the Police-office, where Officers were immediately forwarded, but before they had reached the house they were suffered to leave, and were observed to proceed rather hastily over the fields which led into Oldham.    And, since which time we are sorry to learn no trace whatever has been discovered of them.

We cannot help thinking that if Mr. Frost, the constable from Macclesfield, had immediately on his arrival here communicated with Mr. Lavender, at our Police-office, where he might have expected much important assistance, the result would have been far more satisfactory; instead of which he arrived by the Mail, and without giving any information whatever, stopped about an hour in town, and then returned home.

The spelling of ‘cloathes’ and ‘trowsers’ are as contained in the newspaper report.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 29 July 2010 13:08:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

It’s a couple of weeks on since William was so brutally murdered and it is inquest time.

Mr Jackson you will be well pleased to know that as well as delivering the battered remains of William to the pub even the inquest was held there. Not on in my book but then it’s each to his own.

Fedup you may be well advised not to read this bit or you may well end up in your darkened room with a bottle of Bells and that is happening a bit too often these days.

Well here goes:

Manchester Mercury

29 July 1823

inquest on mr wood, of eyam.

On Saturday week, an Inquest was held at the house of Mr Sykes, the Cock Inn, Whaley, before John Hollins, Esq., Coroner, and a respectable Jury, on the body of this unfortunate man, who, as we stated in our last, was found barbarously murdered, at a place called Longside, on the old road from Disley to Whaley-Bridge, on the previous Wednesday evening, about half-past seven, on his return from Manchester Tuesday's market, whither he had attended as a cotton manufacturer, and had received, as near as can be ascertained, £100, no part of which was found upon him.    The Jury and witnesses proceeded to view the body, which presented a horrid spectacle the face and head being savagely mutilated, and covered with gore.    On the head were ten wounds, inflicted by some blunt instrument, many of a mortal kind, but the one which apparently produced death, was on the back of the head, by which the skull was severely fractured, and a part of it forced into the brain.

I didn’t know that stretch of road was called Longside and for someone to be walking when they had 100 quid in their pockets seems hard to believe even today. Today if you did have £100 would you contemplate walking from Manchester to Eyam? No neither would I.
100 quid in 1823 must have been worth many thousands in today’s values and even today you may risk being robbed with £100 in your sky rocket on Disley Tops. What on earth was William thinking of?

Anyway back to the inquest:

The following examinations were taken:

John Johnson, of Disley, stonemason, sworn.
“I live near the Bull's Head Inn, on the old road between Disley and Whaley, about half a mile from the place where the body was found.    About seven o'clock last Wednesday evening, I saw two young men going towards Whaley; and behind them (at about 18 or 20 yards distance) the deceased and another man, going the same way; the first two had dark coloured coats on, were below the middle size, and appeared about 18 or 19 years of age; the man with the deceased, had a light-coloured coat, a jacket, and trowsers of the same colour; he was taller than the other two.    They were all going towards the place where the deceased was found”.

Joseph Hadfield, of Disley, sworn.  
“I live on the side of the old road between Disley and Whaley.    On Wednesday evening last, about seven o'clock, I was standing at my door, and observed the deceased walk by, towards Whaley, with an umbrella in his right hand and a bundle or basket, on his left arm; about two or three minutes afterwards, I saw three young men walking after him; I cannot recollect their dress.
The distance from my house to the place where the body was found, is about a quarter of a mile, and they were all going in that direction”.

Edmund Pott, of Kettleshulme, labourer, sworn.  
“On Wednesday evening last, I was returning back from Stockport with my cart and horses.    I returned along the old road from Disley to Whaley.    When I came opposite to William Goodwin's house (which is about a quarter of a mile from the road,) I saw the body of the deceased, lying by the lower side of the road, quite dead, but warm; the blood then still flowing from the head.    He could not have been dead many minutes.    It was then about eight o'clock.    The head was very ill cut, and very bloody.    Several stones lay at the back of the head, and they were very bloody.    I lifted the body up, and brought it in my cart to the Cock Inn, in Whaley.    Blood ran from the body in the cart”.

(The stones were produced; they were pieces of rock stone, were all very bloody, with hair still sticking to them; one was of an oblong shape, and had the appearance of bloody finger marks at one end.)
John Mellor, who was with the last witness, confirmed his testimony.

Thomas Etchells, of Whaley, sworn.   
“About half-past seven, or twenty minutes before eight (as near as I can judge,) last Wednesday evening, I was coming very slowly along the old road from Whaley to Disley, when I saw three men running along the road towards Whaley.    When they came within about forty yards of me, they ceased running, and walked;   one of them asked me, how far it was to Chapel-en-le-Frith.   I replied "four miles."    One of them said "thank you Sir."    As soon as they passed me, they ran again, and continued to run till I ceased to look after them.    One of the men was a little taller than the other two; he wore a jean jacket, and had trowsers of the same.    On his left arm, between the shoulder and the elbow, I saw a mark four or five inches long, the colour of blood.    The other two were rather lower than the other, and of about the same size of each other; they had darkish coats, and one had lightish coloured trowsers, narrow stripe; they were all very young men.    The place where I first saw these men is about half a mile from the place where the deceased was found; and they were running in a direction from that place”.

John Johnson, of Whaley, wheelwright, sworn.   
“On Wednesday evening last, about eight o'clock, I was standing at the side of the Smithy, at Whaley, opposite the end of the old road from Disley.    I saw three men running down that road towards me.    I concluded they were running a race.    They ran about a quarter of a mile in my sight; and ceased to run when they got near the Whaley Toll-gate.    They went along the road towards Buxton.    Two of the men were about five feet seven or eight inches high, had dark coloured coats; I took them to be blue, I cannot say whether they had trowsers or not.    The other man was about two or three inches taller, had on a light coloured jacket, like jean; and trowsers of the same colour, with a white apron round his waist.    He was thin.    They all appeared about twenty years of age”.

William Beard, of Disley, labourer, confirmed the last witness.    
Henry Scott, toll bar keeper, at Whaley, sworn.
“On Wednesday evening last, between seven and eight o'clock, I saw three young men after they had passed a few yards through the bar; they were walking quick, along the road towards Buxton.    They were of a moderate size, but I cannot say whether one was taller than the other.    One had a jacket and trowsers on, both light coloured; and he was without stockings.    On the leg of his trowsers, towards the bottom, I saw blood, as well as upon his leg below the trowsers.    The coats of the other two, were dark coloured”.

William Wright, of Disley, surgeon, sworn.   
“I have examined the body of the deceased and find ten wounds on the head--three on the forehead, and seven at the back.    They are made by some blunt instrument.    One blow on the back of the head, has fractured the skull in three directions; the one an inch and a half long, and the others rather less; part of the skull is forced into the brain.    This wound is calculated to produce instant death.    The four stones now produced, or any of them, would inflict such wounds as those I have found upon the deceased”.

No other evidence appearing to identify the murderers, the Jury returned a verdict of wilful murder, against some person or persons unknown.
We are informed that several benevolent and well-disposed individuals, in consideration of the deep distress and poverty which the widow and an orphan child have been thrown into by the loss of a good husband and kind father, who had industriously and anxiously endeavoured to maintain his family comfortably and respectably, are soliciting subscriptions from the charitable and kind hearted; and the smallest donation, if left at our Office, will be transferred to the Rev. Gentleman of Eyam, who has kindly undertaken to become the treasurer for the disconsolate widow and helpless orphan.

So it seems Edmund Pott simply came across the dead body of William Wood, chucked it into the back of his cart and dropped it off in the ale house where it remained until the day of the inquest. Unbelievable.

Anyway at least we know the Whaley Toll Gate was in good working order in 1823.

Right tomorrow a staggering piece of news is reported.
It is the equivalent of ‘Breaking News’ with Sky’s Chief Crime Reporter, Martin Brunt, on the case.
Even I can’t wait for this newest development and I know what it is.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#14 Posted : 29 July 2010 14:35:52(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

To add to the comments expressing surprise at the victim having to walk from Manchester back to Eyam, one thing that amazes me (if my assumption is correct) is that he previously had to walk from Eyam to Manchester, and not just carrying a basket and £100, but £100-worth of cotton cloth, or cotton goods.

That must have been a heck of a lot of material to lug about anywhere, let alone in such hilly terrain as that journey of at least 30 miles is.

Does anyone know for sure if he made his outward journey on foot?

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
umtali  
#15 Posted : 29 July 2010 17:12:03(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I have seen him described elsewhere as a weaver so I think it probable considering his location that he was most likely weaving and selling wool rather than cotton. About the time of his murder cotton mills were very much a part of the industrial development scene in Manchester he would have been hard pressed to compete commercially with their facilities. 

The victim’s life style is as intriguing as his death.
Fedup  
#16 Posted : 29 July 2010 23:14:42(UTC)
Fedup

I'm intrigued by the references to "jean jacket".

Is this denim - surely not. So if not, what sort of fabric was it?

Anyone have any further information
?

Edited by user 29 July 2010 23:15:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#17 Posted : 30 July 2010 08:38:38(UTC)
G. Jackson

Now I find myself replying to**. Sorry.

This area used to be the centre of the cotton weaving industry not wool. This was because  the humidity was ideal for this industry. (it was the reason why The Goyt Mill-  "The Shed"  at Whaley Bridge had a glass roof that was whitewashed, it let in the light and kept the place cooler). The humidity in Macclesfield was perfect for silk weaving.

CllrJonG  
#18 Posted : 30 July 2010 09:33:23(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi GJ,

William Wood came from Eyam. 

Looking at the 19th century trade in this area, it appears that William Wood may possibly have been involved in the weaving of silk.

EYAM AND TIDESWELL

Meanwhile, Eyam and Tideswell had become active silk weaving centres, with three workshops operating at Eyam in 1857. Yarn was fetched on foot from Tideswell, where an agency had been set up as a collection point by dealers from Macclesfield. Finished goods included brightly-coloured scarves and handkerchiefs for export in large quantities to Africa. A silk workshop at the west end of Eyam, later used as a shoe factory, belonged to Ralph Wain who, after many years of trying, developed a process for reproducing designs on both sides of silk fabric. Wain, an illiterate semi-recluse, was persuaded to sell his valuable invention to the Macclesfield firm supplying his silk.

Handloom silk weaving was introduced to Tideswell as a cottage industry in the early 19th century. Again the silk came from Macclesfield and the trade continued until about 1900. Production at the old silk mills of Derby had already ended, whereas Paradise Mill at Macclesfield continued as a working silk mill until 1981. It is now a museum open to visitors.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 30 July 2010 15:00:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Fedup,

I thought I told you that this topic would be too much for you; well proceed at your own risk.

I also have wondered about the ‘jean jackets’ but checking on the old interweb; jeans were around in the 1600’s and the material was named after sailors from Genoa who wore it.
The gold miners of America wore denim jeans in the 1800’s. Denim is named after the French town of Nimmes hence de nimmes: denim to me and you.
So perhaps not all that common but perhaps not that strange either.

Welcome to the thread Cllr Jon; it’s very exciting isn’t it? And thank you for the information on Eyam silk. I’ve personally never heard of it but I will take your word for it.

Anyway we must press on with the topic in hand and I think we are up to the fourth instalment. Oh yes and I promised yesterday that there would be breaking news. And here it is:

Manchester Mercury

29 July 1823

Self destruction of one of the Murderers!!   Charles Tayor, the person apprehended at the Greyhounds public-house, was discovered about one o'clock on Friday afternoon, by Mr Evans, the turnkey, at the New Bailey, suspended on the stove-pipe, which crosses the room where he was confined.    The wretched murderer, it appears, had tied his stockings together, and with the assistance of his gaiters, was enabled to make them sufficient for the fatal purpose.    He was not quite dead when found, but had so far effected his fatal purpose, that he had not been able to speak since, and he died on Sunday morning, about three o'clock.    He was a native of Salford and has lived for some time in Oldfield Road, is 17 years of age, and has been twice convicted of felony.    The other characters are equally young and have but a short time since left the New Bailey; they are so well known that they cannot with any degree of probability remain long at liberty.
Last night, an Inquest was held before John Milne, Esq. Coroner, at the Dangerous Corner public-house, Long Millgate, and a verdict returned of "Felo-de.se," the Coroner therefore issued his precept, to dispose of the body agreeable to the new Act of Parliament, which will be found in another part of this Paper.

So suspending yourself from the stove-pipe with your stockings and gaiters is obviously not to be recommended so please do not try this at home.

And yet again another inquest is held in a boozer; this time the marvellously named ‘Dangerous Corner’.
I can’t find anything about this pub but there is a town called Dangerous Corner near Wigan.

I hope this is not too much for you Fedup but tomorrow we shall have another arrest, then a trial and then an execution. Now you can tell me to mind my own business but I definitely don’t want you reading anything about the execution; I fear it could just push you over the edge.

R. S-S

Fedup  
#20 Posted : 31 July 2010 20:46:52(UTC)
Fedup

If there is one thing I enjoy, and it is not often I enjoy anything, it is a good murder mystery.

I have my bottle of Bells to hand, and wait with trembling anticipation for the next chapter.

A briliant topic R.S-S. Well done.

Edited by user 31 July 2010 20:47:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified