logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
snowy  
#41 Posted : 26 September 2009 10:13:57(UTC)
snowy

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Here's another photo.

Probably about 1956? No sign of the teachers on this one.

File Attachment(s):
scan0001.jpg (940kb) downloaded 160 time(s).
thanks 1 user thanked snowy for this useful post.
katiesmummy on 17/08/2015(UTC)
umtali  
#42 Posted : 08 May 2010 11:32:26(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Enhanced Attachment:

umtali attached the following image(s):
hend_school.jpg
umtali  
#43 Posted : 08 May 2010 12:12:02(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Just an attachment: Very little enhancement but note the amount of trouble taken by the photographer to arrange the children in very neat order.
(Nice Picture)
umtali attached the following image(s):
hend_sch56.jpg
CllrJonG  
#44 Posted : 11 June 2010 02:12:55(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi, or should I say Yebbie  Yebbie Yebbie

Mr G.Jackson has sent me a fantastic picture of Taxal and Fernilee School from 1910 (known locally as Horwich End School or even as Fernillee and Taxal School) to put on the forum , along with  some memories.

One of the really interesting things about the Whaley Forum is that if you now start to Google stuff on whaley, you will find that the forum turns up time and time again. For the contributors, you, and your words are now to be seen by everybody on this planet with an internet connection. The search terms people use can determine whether they stumble over what they were trying to find and sometimes the order of the words do matter in this respect.

This is why I think it is important to point out the following, just in case someone in the future is trying to find something :

In the picture below, the sign on the picture reads Fernilee and Taxal C.E school rather than Taxal and Fernilee C.E school as we all now know it. Mr Jackson points out that this picture is dated April 12th 1910 Group 4 , and was taken on exactly the same day as another picture of Group 6 which is on this forum which  is dated April 12th 1910 Group 6 . I think the reason why the Fernilee and Taxal is now reversed has something to do with the way the church parishes changed .

According to Genuki:

The river Goyt, which flows through Horwich End and Whaley Bridge, was formerly the boundary between Derbyshire and Cheshire, separating the parishes of Taxal (St James's Church) and Fernilee. Originally, Fernilee was united with Chapel en le Frith, which was then a chapelry in the parish of Hope. However when Chapel en le Frith became an independent parish in 1297, Fernilee remained part of Hope, where it stayed until in 1898, when it was transferred to Buxton. Shortly after (1905) it became a separate parish, then in 1966, it was joined with Taxal, in the diocese of Chester. For the purposes of civil administration, however Taxal and Fernilee are now in Derbyshire.

In 1910, when this picture was taken Fernilee appears to have been the predominant parish.  Why would you call it Taxal and Fernilee ?

The picture I have from G.Jackson is festooned with post-it  notes on the front and back with loads of detail:

First of all the names that he has - please,please throw in any that you may know of or any corrections.

Back Row: Joe Lomas, Jack Hodgson, x, x, x, J.Swindels, ? Dronfield, Unknown Teacher

3rd Row-  ?,?, Frances Boothby,?,Vere Longson,Mrs Hibbert (!) :  Mr G.Jackson says that Vere(do you mean Vera?) might be the 6th along and Mrs Hibbert(!) might be the 5th - he isnt sure- it might be the other way around.

Mr G. Jackson says that Jack Hodgson,the tall and rather handsome lad second from left on the top row, sadly never had any children. His brothers, Ellis, Dick and Bert  , and sister Hannah all did, and according to Mr Jackson, they are all still alive and well. If they see this, then perhaps they might be able to put some names to faces ! I hope so.

Yebbie has appeared on several posts in the past, but now we have a picture and very hopefully the start of a story. Mr Jackson will hopefully help me out, but if I read it right, then on the post-it notes he has provided he says that the three boys on the back row marked x along with the child on the end were all Dronfields. The first boy of the three boys marked x on the back row was known as Yebbie. Yebbie has lots of descendants, who were all apparently called Yebbie. Yebbies were apparently very well known in Whaley.

Is the head teacher a younger Mr Arthur or 'Pop' as people have called him, or is he entirely different?

By the way - notice the clogs - standard footware!

Thanks Mr Jackson - please correct me on anything.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 11 June 2010 11:54:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
fernileeandtaxal school april 12th 1910 group4 red1.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Norm  
#45 Posted : 11 June 2010 02:25:41(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

That took some typing. One for the album.

snowy  
#46 Posted : 11 June 2010 07:41:21(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Replying to CllrJonG, I don't think Arthur was old enough to be a teacher in 1910. He was still head of the school till at least 1960, and as far as I remember he lived until he was about 90, and he died some time in the 1980's or 90's.

He was also WB council chairman for a while - is it possible to look up the records to get the exact dates?

I think there is another Yebbie in the picture in post 43, third row, fourth from left.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#47 Posted : 11 June 2010 14:21:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Group 5:

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#48 Posted : 11 June 2010 18:41:52(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hello all !

R.S-S, I am a little concerned about the child front-row, centre. Is it a little boy dressed like a girl? He certainly appears to be wearing similar clothes to the girls in the photo, and he definitely isn't looking happy !!!

What age do we reckon these children are? Otherwise, once again, a lovely photo - and also the one by G.Jackson.

As always, interesting posts - I am hoping they will entice the regulars back to the board !!

Gnats
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#49 Posted : 11 June 2010 18:50:31(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello JonG,

Herbert was definitely not a Dronfield but was a Dranfield.

You should already have these records at your house or they will be certainly within the offices/cupboards of JGTC.

But to save you a job here is a copy of the electoral register for 1951.

You will see that Herbert (Yebbie) and wife Ada lived at 188. Houses 192 and 194 were not yet built or unoccupied.

Electoral Register           Whaley Bridge   (Taxal)   (AJX)   Taxal Ward of the Urban District of Whaley Bridge, formerly part of the Parish of Taxal.

1951 Buxton Road

Bradbury, George                  170
Bradbury, Eva L.                    170
Whitehurst, Ernest                 178
Whitehurst, Kathleen             178
Burgess, Donald                    180
Burgess, Margaret M.            180
Lomas, Eric                            182
Lomas, Margaret E.               182
Howe, Clifford                        184
Howe, Jessie                         184
Stafford, Sydney                    186
Dranfield, Herbert                  188 (Yebbie)
Dranfield, Ada                        188
Whitmore, Raymond L.         190
Whitmore, Ruth H.                 190

The houses now known as Vaughan Road were originally called simply Council Houses and numbered accordingly. The whole of this area was called Flanders and also known as Pit Bank.

Hope this clears things up a bit for you and Mr Jackson.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#50 Posted : 11 June 2010 18:58:50(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hello all !

R.S-S, I am a little concerned about the child front-row, centre. Is it a little boy dressed like a girl? He certainly appears to be wearing similar clothes to the girls in the photo, and he definitely isn't looking happy !!! 

What age do we reckon these children are? Otherwise, once again, a lovely photo - and also the one by G.Jackson.

As always, interesting posts - I am hoping they will entice the regulars back to the board !! 

Gnats

Edited by user 11 June 2010 19:02:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#51 Posted : 11 June 2010 19:05:12(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Thanks R.S.S.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Carrbrook kid  
#52 Posted : 13 August 2010 22:47:36(UTC)
Carrbrook kid

I know from family history that Howrich end school was a stone masons yard before the school was built. I also remember Roger Hartley who was Head Master at the time showing me records that support what I had been told but wondered if any of you knowledgable people had anymore information or even photographs?
shallcross  
#53 Posted : 15 August 2010 23:05:58(UTC)
shallcross

Once again Interesting thread here is a picture of Horwich End School 1967 Roger Hartleys Headmaster Days  I still see quite a few from these two forms around and about but some not seen for years, we too didnt wear school uniforn, this was my second school after graduating from Fernilee infants School.

Shallcross
Carrbrook kid  
#54 Posted : 16 August 2010 20:44:29(UTC)
Carrbrook kid

Shallcross, could you attach the photo as for some reason it just appears as a red cross in the corner of an empty box. Suspect I have relatives in the photo so keen to view.
Thanks
shallcross  
#55 Posted : 16 August 2010 21:20:10(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Carrbrook Kid

Hope you can see this one, anyone else unable to view? I can name most if you wish

Shallcross

Shallcross
buggyite  
#56 Posted : 16 August 2010 21:49:12(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Shallcross,

I can't see a photo, just a link to (possibly) BTInternet with someone's user ID.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Norm  
#57 Posted : 16 August 2010 22:19:44(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

They seem to be links to yahoo. You need to upload the photos, have a look at http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=633

Sorry about the blank post, which was a photo describing what to do, it takes all sorts

Norm

shallcross  
#58 Posted : 16 August 2010 22:20:21(UTC)
shallcross

File Attachment(s):
Horwich End School 1968 -.JPG (348kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#59 Posted : 16 August 2010 22:26:56(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi shallcross

That is very large for the forum. I have made it smaller and greyscale.

Norm

Norm attached the following image(s):
heschool.JPG
shallcross  
#60 Posted : 16 August 2010 22:30:46(UTC)
shallcross

Thank you

At least you can all see it now

Shallcross

Shallcross