logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buggyite  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2010 19:45:04(UTC)
buggyite

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

It seemed to me that me and other forum thugs were on the verge of disrupting the thread about the possible demolishing of Bridge 42 with assorted historical ramblings, so I thought I'd best begin a new thread here in the Local History forum.

I hope nobody minds.

To put things in perspective, here are a few dates:

1. Cromford & High Peak Railway was opened through to Whaley Bridge in July 1831

2. Stockport, Disley & Whaley Bridge Railway begins operating regular trains as far as Whaley Bridge in June 1857

3. Connection between the C&HPR and the SD&WBR opened in August 1857, but seemed to be horse-drawn due to the bridge over the Goyt not being properly completed. Normal loco-worked traffic commenced in November 1857

4. The railway from Whaley Bridge to Buxton began operating in June 1863. Legend says that delays were incurred due to the activities of Dickie o' Tunstead. (I'm sure there'll be a thread along sooner or later about him)

** Another source gives the date as June 1864 ** - confirmation would be appreciated!

5. The Cromford & High Peak line from Shallcross to Ladmanlow (near Harpur Hill) was abandoned in June 1892.

6. The line across Old Road and down the incline to the wharf at Whaley Bridge was closed in June 1952.

7. Shallcross Yard to Whaley Bridge (across bridge 42) was closed in January 1965.

Another thing for clarification (for me) is the spelling of Shallcross. I wouldn't be asking for this except for walking past a manhole cover cast at the Shawlcross Foundry every day!

Finally, what follows is some maps joined together (badly, by me) showing the railway layout through Whaley Bridge around 1915.

buggyite attached the following image(s):
map0001.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
PAUL  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2010 20:41:18(UTC)
PAUL

Man

Hi,

I've been staying on holiday at Shallcross Farm, Whaley Bridge but got back home today to Hampshire.  It is the first time I've visited this area.  I can't get over the number of tiny pubs everywhere, and the style and structure of original local buildings. I like transport and have studied your map briefly.  Is the Shallcross Estate where Shallcross is on the map as it looks completely diiferent ie. should be on the left hand side, not the right?  It looks sort of back to front to me - could you put me right please?  Could you indicate where the current station is?

Thanks, Paul

buggyite  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2010 21:15:50(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Hi Paul,

Welcome to our strange little world

The map doesn't go quite as far as Shallcross Yard, its off the bottom of the map, where its labelled "To Shallcross"

The station is to the left of the Jodrell Arms Hotel on the map - Look for Bridge Street, and its on the other side of Market St from there.

This is on the second segment down, with Market St running vertically the way the map is oriented.

I've attached a photo of Shallcross Yard taken off Chapel Road, looking south towards Fernilee from just above the shop called "Seymour Silks". Us old codgers still call it the Gas Showrooms. So you can orient yourself, I've marked roughly where Elnor Lane is, and Shallcross Mill Lane is.

I had a look to see if I could use Google Streetview to show you how it looks now from the photographer's position, but its pointless, as the trees obscure everything.

This is the view looking the opposite way, off Shallcross Mill lane back towards Chapel Road across where the goods yard was.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shallcross+farm,+whaley+bridge&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=8.883879,26.630859&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Shallcross+Hall+Farm,+Shallcross+Rd,+Whaley+Bridge,+High+Peak,+Derbyshire+SK23+7EY,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.321851,-1.983182&spn=0.002217,0.006502&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.321151,-1.982723&panoid=EAUj8Q5TsVZzt9piHn2gww&cbp=12,7.52,,0,14.95

And now the photo referred to...

Edited by user 21 August 2010 21:19:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

buggyite attached the following image(s):
shallcross5.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2010 21:32:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Wow this is going to be a good thread Buggyite,

We’ve both got some great photos and information about this topic.
I hope our contributions do not get censored by admin.
It does seem that one certain person can stick 2 fingers up to Jon and the rest of them and nothing happens.
If this is censored it will be the last you hear from me.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 22 August 2010 08:42:45(UTC)
G. Jackson

Obviously most people know this but some readers may not:-

Roughly, where the nearest railway truck is on Buggyite's photo is a round stone plaque and an original section of the old railway line.

shallcross  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2010 20:07:55(UTC)
shallcross

hi everyone
Hope you all dont fall out before i get back off holidays have lots to contribute, just state the rules for using the forum and stick to them, i have some 30 + photos of before and during the building of the gasworks i am sure people would like to see
Shallcross
Shallcross
High Peak Harry  
#7 Posted : 22 August 2010 20:41:12(UTC)
High Peak Harry

You can still see remnants of the C&HPR at Ladmanlow. As you turn onto the Macc road up Burbage the old bridge supports are still visible. Just further up you an see other parts of the railway. All very interesting stuff and I am sure we shall be enlightened further in the coming weeks. As long as there are nopictures of members of the groovy gang pasted onto anything!

parabuild  
#8 Posted : 22 August 2010 21:56:55(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Picasa Web Albums includes a collection of over 200 photos of the route of the Cromford and High Peak.  These pictures were taken in 2010 by "Monty" and follow the route between  the transhipment warehouse and Hindlow.  The bridge abutments at Ladmanlow mentioned by HPH are included as well as Burbage tunnel.

picasaweb.google.com/montyburns56/CromfordHighPeakRailway#

G. Jackson  
#9 Posted : 23 August 2010 01:36:11(UTC)
G. Jackson

Brilliant 11/10

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 23 August 2010 11:50:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning Buggyite,

I have finished my work early today so I have got a bit of spare time on my hands apart from doing a bit of the old recycling later on.

Anyway here we have an old photo of the field before the gasworks came along.

It is interesting in as much as the RBS building appears to have its extension in place and that is where Mrs Curious’ fountain stood. So we could date it fairly accurately.

You can also see the White Horse and the garage attached to it.
Like Shallcross I also have many photos of the construction of the gasworks and it will be very interesting to see what he comes up with. I am positive it will be worth the wait.

I’ve got a photo looking the other way towards Chapel Road of this area and I think it shows some goods vehicles on your railway line.
I’ll try to find it after I have been fed and watered.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 23 August 2010 13:06:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well Buggyite I feel better for that I can tell you.

Below is the other photo I mentioned that has your train line on it.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the Combs goat is just visible in both shots.

R. S-S

PAUL  
#12 Posted : 23 August 2010 21:53:53(UTC)
PAUL

Man

buggyite wrote:

Hi Paul,

Welcome to our strange little world

The map doesn't go quite as far as Shallcross Yard, its off the bottom of the map, where its labelled "To Shallcross"

The station is to the left of the Jodrell Arms Hotel on the map - Look for Bridge Street, and its on the other side of Market St from there.

This is on the second segment down, with Market St running vertically the way the map is oriented.

I've attached a photo of Shallcross Yard taken off Chapel Road, looking south towards Fernilee from just above the shop called "Seymour Silks". Us old codgers still call it the Gas Showrooms. So you can orient yourself, I've marked roughly where Elnor Lane is, and Shallcross Mill Lane is.

I had a look to see if I could use Google Streetview to show you how it looks now from the photographer's position, but its pointless, as the trees obscure everything.

This is the view looking the opposite way, off Shallcross Mill lane back towards Chapel Road across where the goods yard was.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shallcross+farm,+whaley+bridge&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=8.883879,26.630859&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Shallcross+Hall+Farm,+Shallcross+Rd,+Whaley+Bridge,+High+Peak,+Derbyshire+SK23+7EY,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.321851,-1.983182&spn=0.002217,0.006502&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.321151,-1.982723&panoid=EAUj8Q5TsVZzt9piHn2gww&cbp=12,7.52,,0,14.95

And now the photo referred to...

Hi thanks for your help and information.  Yes, It is rather a strange world and now almost a distant memory away.  I hope it doesn't change too much and that the tiny pubs can survive    as well as the railway stations.

I observed the Dog & Partridge info icon on the current Google map is incorrectly placed as the connecting website appears to be a (posher) D&P someplace else.  The Navigation Inn opposite the Rail station looks to be closed down - is this correct?  I see there are other Navigation Inns nearby and Dog & Partridge Inns all over the area!  Bus service 199 from Buxton and Whaley Bridge (the middle of nowhere) to Stockport and Airport runs at 3.50 in the morning - unheard of down our way.

Whaley Bridge is a place that grows on you over time.

Regards

Paul

PAUL  
#13 Posted : 23 August 2010 22:35:08(UTC)
PAUL

Man

Also the Google Map shows Whaley Bridge's Navigation Inn icon as incorrect because when you click on it the Buxworth Navigation Inn comes up. Which one is the oldest and original, please?
buggyite  
#14 Posted : 24 August 2010 10:50:37(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Paul,

There seeems to be a pretty general problem with links from Google maps, certainly the D&P link takes you to a completely different pub!  Accurate positioning of business icons on maps appears to be based on the middle of the postcode, and even that isn't always right, as the Royal Oak from Chapel has magically moved to Whaley Bridge into the old NatWest bank building on the corner of Market Street and Wharf Road. I don't know which is the older of the two local Navigation Inns - but I would make a guess at our Bugsworth one as older; the canal arrived here first, with the Whaley Bridge spur being the "branch"

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 24 August 2010 16:48:43(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I’m not too sure I should be on here after the events of yesterday and with no advice, help or explanation from Mr Trueman.

Nevertheless I’ll risk it again.

This is a bit off topic but they do seem to bounce from one thing to another or in this case from the railway to the gasworks and then the view of Horwich End.

The reason I am putting this photo on, well there are a few actually, but the main one is that I have seen Mr Jackson logged on all afternoon. I suppose he might well be asleep but anyway I hope he is OK.
When a photo appears he tends to disappear and then about a day later, obviously after some research methods, he comes back with all the answers. Sometimes they are a bit dubious but answers all the same; I hope no thuggery is ever involved.

Well Mr Jackson I have forwarded the last photo of Gasworks Field into Horwich End itself and it tends to focus on the White Horse.
In those pre Boddington days it was owned by Clarkes I can’t remember sampling their beer but if it was as good as Boddies used to be it will do for me.

Anyway the investigations I need you to carry out are as follows:

1: Who ran the shop at the Macc Road corner of the White Horse?

2: Who operated out of the garage which is now the toilets?

3: (An easy one) Are the chimneys still on the Bank? Don’t go peeking.

4: What year were the traffic lights installed?

5: Is the hand brake on in the car parked outside the gas showrooms?

Easy for you I should imagine.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#16 Posted : 24 August 2010 17:14:30(UTC)
G. Jackson

The first question has 2 answers of course. Recently a man called Ian Craig ( his lovely flame red haired daughter can be seen running everywhere in the district) had the shop selling and repairing cycles. Alas he passed away a few years ago, a very nice man who before being interested in cycles was a local (New Mills) antique pine furniture dealer/stripper.

Before the cycle man Mrs. Alice Wildgoose (nee Ratcliffe from Bugsworth) ran a ladies type shop selling underwear etc. Her husband was Eddie Wildgoose a foreman at the Britannia Wiremill in Bugsworth. Alice was a major witness in an inquest held at Bugsworth when her brother in law James Wilson was killed by a train at Bugsworth station in 1933/4.......But that's another story.

I'll have to think about the garage man, as for the chimneys it's so long since I was in Horwich End I cannot remember whether there were any traffic lights there or not.

G. Jackson  
#17 Posted : 25 August 2010 14:41:09(UTC)
G. Jackson

Since my last post I have had a really good sleep and now realise that R.S-S probably meant  "who ran the corner shop

before Alice Wildgoose" as that is quite recent (ie in R.S-S's lifetime)? If you want me to go further back to the time Alice

bought it as a going concern as a haberdashery shop or before that when Sammy and his wife owned it and ran a great little

toffee shop. Sammy was very small and you could hear him over the counter but you couldn't see him. Before that, and I am

going right back now, Frank Lomas-Fletcher (Goerge knew him  from the Co-op garage) used to sell oatcakes from there when

he was nowt but a kid. The oatcakes were made nearby on Macc. Road by Mrs Heath in her cellar. The oatcakes were a lot

bigger than the ones you get today and he sold them for 1d each or 7 for a tanner.

Now, as for the so called garage next to the White Horse, R.S-S may be trying to catch me out on this. I cannot remember it

being a working garage but only a garage for storing the cars etc. for the pub landlords. I can remember though it being a

greengrocers and fruit shop. Wilf Lowe and Ernie Fox opened it in late 1929 or early 1930. I cannot remember how long they

traded for but the war would certainly have stopped them trading and they may have been called up also.  

PS I think the handbrake didn't work.

Edited by user 25 August 2010 14:45:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 25 August 2010 16:32:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good work as far as it goes Mr Jackson,

In fact very interesting and with you permission I shall add that information to my archives.

However, and there is always a however isn’t there?

You have obviously forgotten about the chimneys on the old Nat West Bank or haven’t had the chance to actually go and have a look.

And what about the traffic lights? No answer to that.

And, as well, what a ridiculous answer to the question about the hand brake on the car. Typical and expected yet again.

Up to now your school report will show one out of five.

I bet you won’t even dare to take that home and show it to your Dad.

You really must do better; I shall give you until 5.00pm on Friday to complete your homework in a proper manner.

R. S-S
Norm  
#19 Posted : 26 August 2010 12:48:22(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

Have we any short descriptions for the recent photos and maybe dates? On this thread and other ones, such as the thread with the incline on. Then they can go on the website.

I see, on the photo above, that there is St. Georges flag on the outside of White Horse pub, between the words Celebrated and Ales. Following tradition I presume there must have been a World Cup being played and that is was being shown in the pub! Wonder how we went on?

G. Jackson  
#20 Posted : 26 August 2010 12:57:12(UTC)
G. Jackson

I bet we lost on penalties to the Germans.

Seriously though, I seem to remember the flag was part of Clarke's sign... Good old ENGLISH ale.

Edited by user 26 August 2010 13:01:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified