logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#61 Posted : 24 August 2010 22:00:42(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

It amazes me that Cllr Jon goes to the trouble of sending me private emails and stops further debate on the subject of "Nuisance Neighbours" (remember that one?) with great alacrity, when he seemed to be the only person offended by it but appears utterly at a loss as to how to deal with someone who is so obviously irritating many other forum members and spoiling the wonderful contributions made by knowledgeable local historians.

Perhaps this is one pie I wouldn't mind seeing Cllr Jon sticking his finger in.

Edited by user 24 August 2010 22:01:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#62 Posted : 29 August 2010 15:01:30(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Fedup wrote:

Perhaps this is one pie I wouldn't mind seeing Cllr Jon sticking his finger in.

A "T" shirt with a Shotgun cartoon finaly did it. - Touchy subject serves me right.

By the way did you like your shirt? -  And now G jackson will never be seen as Alf Garnet shsme he's a natural

parabuild  
#63 Posted : 09 October 2010 08:32:12(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Just 3 years later there was an attempted murder, very close to the same spot.

John Ellis of Parwick was on his way  to visit his cousin in Gorton. He spent the night at the White Horse in Horwich End.  Another man, calling himself Michael Murray had also spent the night at the inn.  Setting out the next day, Ellis saw that Murray was sitting on a wall at the roadside.. Murray changed the clogs that he wore for shoes and joined Ellis on the road towards Disley.  On reaching a lonely part of the road Ellis was hit with a blackthorn stick that Murray carried and beaten until defenceless. His pockets were rifled for a silver watch and a few shillings and a bundle containing a waistcoat, shirt and stockings, tied in a plaid handkerchief was taken.

A description of the robber and of the stolen items was sent by Mr Newton, the Whaley Bridge magistrate to police in Liverpool and a notice was given to several pawnbrokers in the City. A few days later, a man answering the description of the robber presented a  silver watch to Mrs Fox, pawnbroker in St Thomas's buildings.  Mr Miller, the Superintendant of Police was immediately informed and Murray taken into custody.

Ellis had been taken to Disley where he lay in a state of imminent danger.  The prisoner was brought before him and unable to speak indicated by gestures that Murray was the perpetrator of the crime. Seeing no chance of escape, the prisoner said "Yes I am the man that did it and I am very sorry for it now"  He offered to shake Ellis by the hand but the gesture was declined.

The prisoner was taken to Stockport and later committed for trial at Chester Castle.  He gave his real name as Philip McGoveron, an Irishman

cawright1  
#64 Posted : 10 March 2013 00:22:34(UTC)
cawright1

Love these tales, thanks.

Went past here today and for sure I'd like to murder the ignorant scum who have emptied a flat back truck of its load, flytipping all over the layby on the corner.

sfmans  
#65 Posted : 10 March 2013 14:25:12(UTC)
sfmans

Man

It's worth filling in a fly-tipping report on the HPBC website (http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/council-services/street-care-and-cleaning/reporting-fly-tipping) - it gets the messed cleared up, and I have heard that successful prosecutions have resulted where the load has been identifiable.

Not as satisfying as murdering the perpetrators, but probably (I am not a lawyer) slightly more legal ...
Andrew  
#66 Posted : 23 September 2013 11:34:52(UTC)
Andrew

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Curious Go to Quoted Post

Here it is, (bottom right hand side):

I have just been up to find the Murder Stone, it is approx. 100yds past the Derbyshire boundry sign going towards Whaley Bridge and it's on the right hand side as shown in the photo.

Horwich Ender  
#67 Posted : 24 September 2013 16:47:12(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon Andrew.

Just to clarify, if you are travelling from Disley towards Whaley Bridge the Murder Stone is on your left hand side as shown in the photo taken by Curious.

DavidStir  
#68 Posted : 24 April 2019 12:30:22(UTC)
DavidStir

Hi R.S-S et al,

I wasn't sure whether this forum has died a death as there doesn't seem to be many recent posts. But if anyone's out there, would you have any objection to my using some of your considerable research into the murder stone to create a post on my Goyt Valley website? I'd obviously credit all contributions and put links to the page on the website. But I just wanted to ask first.

I also wanted to ask whether anyone knows if there are any contemporary press illustrations from the case - e.g. the victim and the guilty men?

David
tarboat  
#69 Posted : 22 May 2019 05:56:21(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I am sure that nobody is going to object to your using the information for a web page. Go for it!