logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Curious  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2010 17:43:50(UTC)
Curious

Groups: Member
Woman

Here's a photo from the mid 1930s with some of my relatives on a day trip.  I would love to know where the fabulous house is that is hiding behind the very ornate gates.

I got in touch with the National Trust thinking that it must belong to them by now. They were very helpful and replied that they thought it might have been Waddesdon Manor, near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire.  Waddesdon was based upon a French 'chateau' style built by Rothschild's and they got in touch with the chief executive of the Rothschild Executive Family Trust and was advised sadly that it isn't Waddesdon. They then said that if it wasn't Waddesdon then it isn't a Trust property.

Do any Forum members know where the house was or is?  Are any of you or your relatives on the photo too?  It would be nice to solve this little mystery.

Mrs Curious

Edited by user 13 October 2010 17:46:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious attached the following image(s):
Out for the day - but where.jpg
Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2010 18:12:37(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good Evening Mrs Curious

Had a think about this one and thought perhaps it wouldn't have been too far away. Had a look at Tatton Park, but it didn't look anything like and so I googled Eaton Hall, in Chester (I know it does have rather grand gates) and came up with this picture. It looks extremely similar (minus the gates !) What do you reckon? Eaton Hall is the home of the (now) 6th Duke of Grosvenor. The estate is only open to the public about four times a year.

Gnats

Edited by user 13 October 2010 18:13:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee attached the following image(s):
Eaton Hall Cheshire.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2010 18:28:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well done once again, Gnatalee,

That photo is probably taken from inside the gates.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2010 19:40:46(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well Done! Ever thought of joining the police, they need you.

Curious  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2010 20:27:45(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi Gnatalee

Thanks for your help -mystery solved!

I've never been to Eaton Hall but I'll make of point of visiting soon, or whenever they open it up.  The National Trust thought it must be in France somewhere, but my dad never went abroad until he retired and in those days Chester would have been a big day out from Whaley.

Mrs Curious

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 13 October 2010 22:19:58(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi Mrs Curious

That's what I thought, that it could only be a "reasonable" distance to travel for a day-trip.

I know that Eaton Hall is not an "open all hours" place - it has set dates for visitors. I also know that in the spring, when the daffs are out, sometime around Easter, that that is one of the open days.

In the photograph it is interesting that there are a couple of coats hanging on the gates. There is one on the far right (as we look at the picture) and also, I think, another one just behind the lady on the right-hand side of the photo. Who knows who they belong to !!!

Nice to see your input - let me know when you fancy Eaton Hall - would be happy to join you as, although on my doorstep, have never done "the tour" !!!

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 13 October 2010 22:21:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2010 08:16:46(UTC)
snoopy

This place looks a great building. So I did some research, and sadly what is now left looks nothing like the above photos. First a lot was demolished due to dry rot.

Then in 1989-91 it was decided what was left was not in keeping with the Cheshire countryside (?) so it was encased to look like a French Chateau.

Strange times.

Gnatalee  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2010 11:58:25(UTC)
Gnatalee

Snoopy

I recall there being a great deal of "discussion" about the new extension/addition to the hall - I seem to remember that it was totally out of keeping with the rest of hall - too modern. I don't know if it is still true but the Grosvenors were one of the richest families in Britain - the own massive amounts of prime land, shopping centres, (think Park Lane or Mayfair areas belong to them as well).

Gnats

Edited by user 14 October 2010 11:59:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#9 Posted : 08 April 2012 19:36:22(UTC)
Gnatalee

Now this is a resurrection of a subject from quite a while back, but I thought I would just like to let you know that today I have visited the Eaton Hall Gardens, as dscussed above. I can't believe I have lived so close, for so long, to such a beautiful and interesting place.

The Eaton Hall estate is only open for about four days a year. All proceeds charged at entrance are for designated charities.

You don't get to go into the Hall but the gardens, chapel, carriage house are open, there are tea rooms, ice cream vendors, miniature railway which trundles round the estate.

My trip was very much a "spur of the moment" decision but I hope to go back in the summer to see how the gardens change.

I wonder what it was like when the people in Mrs Curious' photograph visited.

Gnats

Edited by user 08 April 2012 19:38:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MarthaSamson  
#10 Posted : 08 April 2012 20:19:23(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

Aloha Gnats, Mrs. C and GJ. Hope you are all having a nice Easter holiday. Thanks for sharing these great photos. Gnats, did you take any photos of Eaton Hall today?
Gnatalee  
#11 Posted : 08 April 2012 22:15:16(UTC)
Gnatalee

Aloha Martha !

Sadly, having taken my camera with me (fairly new and little used !) I found that the batteries had decided to give up !! Not a good start to my career as the next "David Bailey" !! I took a few photos on my mobile of the Camelia Walk, which is a 400 ft walkway of varieties of camelias, all in bloom, in an enclosed glasshouse. Absolutely stunning !

Gnats

Edited by user 08 April 2012 22:16:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rosie  
#12 Posted : 15 September 2015 22:20:01(UTC)
Rosie

United Kingdom

Hi, I wonder how many of the folks in the photo have been identified ?? I showed this to my Cousin and she, like me, thought that the lady centre back was May Pyatt, our Grandmother. She had worked at Eaton Hall in her teens.
Rosie