logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<45678>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shallcross  
#101 Posted : 05 October 2010 23:16:30(UTC)
shallcross

Groups: Member

Hi Norm

Yes thanks for the resizing  I haven't been able to access the site yesterday or today I dont know if any one else had a problem, seems Ok now though.

Buggyite

That bottom photo looks like its had a row of cormorants sitting on the wall and leaving their calling card, must be all that fish from Todbrook.

Edited by user 05 October 2010 23:23:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Shallcross
shallcross  
#102 Posted : 05 October 2010 23:22:06(UTC)
shallcross

Cromford High Peak Pages 6 & 7

File Attachment(s):
Cromford High Peak 6.jpg (642kb) downloaded 84 time(s).
Cronford High Peak 7.jpg (416kb) downloaded 52 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#103 Posted : 06 October 2010 17:07:15(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Page 6

Norm attached the following image(s):
Cromford6.jpg
Norm  
#104 Posted : 06 October 2010 17:08:32(UTC)
Norm

Man

Page 7 (not very clear)

Cromford7.jpg
CllrJonG  
#105 Posted : 23 October 2010 16:39:13(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

A Mr Anonymous has posted me a very interesting copy of a photo of the tracks at Shalcross Yard and Chapel Road Bridge.

For anyone trying to get their bearings, Nimbus antiques is just to the right of the building above the Bridge, and if you go left you will find yourself facing the White Horse. There are now very substantial trees all over the grassed bank on the left of the picture by the steps.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 24 October 2010 15:07:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
shallcrossydandchplrdbrdge.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#106 Posted : 05 November 2010 17:19:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good evening to you, Buggyite,

I have just come across a few old photos that I had forgotten about and which concern the journey from The Cat and Fiddle down to Ladmanlow via Errwood Hall.

The last photo in the series shows freight on The Cromford and High Peak line at Ladmanlow.

I’m not sure if it is of interest to you but I can always let you have a copy if you like.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#107 Posted : 05 November 2010 17:46:30(UTC)
buggyite

Man

R. S-S,

I have seen a copy of that photograph, but its a much worse reproduction than yours looks like, so yes, I would definitely much appreciate a copy. 

It would be very interesting to determine the date of this photograph. It will be prior to 1922 when the many railway companies were amalgamated into the Big Four of LMS, LNER, GWR and SR.  If it's prior to the abandonment of the Shallcross to Ladmanlow section in 1892, then it is indeed a train on a journey along the C&HP.  However, when this section was abandoned, a spur was retained from Ladmanlow almost to the bridge that carries the old Macclesfield road over the line. There was a junction on the Ladmanlow side of the embankment on this photograph called "Colliery Junction", so presumably there must have been a pit thereabouts at one time.

This spur was certainly still in existence in the 1950s, and was often used for the storage of wagons, and my suspicion is that this photograph shows this.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#108 Posted : 05 November 2010 18:57:38(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Buggyite

Once again I think you are correct the stationary wagons would be as you say sitting in what was by then a sidings with the line worked through Hindlow and beyond to Cromford.

I have this image on a postcard although its unposted but from the printing style I would say 1920s

The Spur you can see in the forground did go to a pit one of many, some of which connect right through into Goyt Valley on one side and high up on Axe Edge on the other, this part of Burbage was very Industrial, not far from here you can still see the remains of the old smelting ovens and in the back ground across at Can Holes you can see the spoil from the Quarry at Grinlow, on the other side of the railway enbankment in the picture, on Level Lane Burbage had its own wharf complete with boats!

Shallcross
CllrJonG  
#109 Posted : 11 December 2010 03:10:45(UTC)
CllrJonG

Mr Anonymouse sent me the following picture of Buxworth Statin in the early 60's before it closed.

buxworth stn 1960ish.jpg

CllrJonG  
#110 Posted : 11 December 2010 03:42:27(UTC)
CllrJonG

Mr Anonymouse posts the following picture of "Buxworth Station iin the early 20th Century before its closure"

Thankyou for providing these photos.

Cheers

Jon.

buxworthstne20thc.jpg

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#111 Posted : 11 December 2010 13:23:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The recovery of old historical photos and documents on this forum is now a real asset to Whaley Bridge.
And I must say a lot of thanks have to be paid to Jon, The Whaley One, if it were left to the Whaley Eleven nothing whatsoever would have been done.
What a pathetic bunch they really are. Would it happen on any other Council? No I don’t think so either.
But once again I thank you Jon for your latest contributions and offers to help archive any new findings. This really is top drawer.

Just to continue with the donation from Mr Anonymous with regards to the Shallcross Sidings:

You may remember an aerial view I put on here showing Horwich End with the gasometers and the skyscraper that was the gas tower.
I will repeat that once more below and also a view from nearly at the Scout Hut showing the line and the tower.

R. S-S

Whaley Ash  
#112 Posted : 24 December 2010 10:46:39(UTC)
Whaley Ash

Man

Trying again, with photos this time hopefully...

A couple of photos of British Railways Midland Region red and cream enamel signs from Whaley. The first is the station signal box board (there would have been two) and the second is a standard station 'totem' of which there would have been about 10 to 12. I've only ever seen two of the latter since they were taken down, the first looked like it had been shot with a 12 bore whilst this one (pictured here) has been bent and heavily restored. Could be that they were all vandalised before removal as the signal box board has also been bent at some point. This is flanged and would have taken quite some force to achieve!

Ash
Whaley Ash attached the following image(s):
P1030670.jpg
P1030671.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#113 Posted : 20 January 2011 16:24:48(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon, Buggyite,

I shall repost the old photo of the railway wagons parked on the Cromford and High Peak line at Ladmanlow.

As you might know I recently came across a booklet of postcards commissioned by the landlord of the Cat and Fiddle pub.
The last photo in the booklet is of that much loved pub itself and guess what? There is a car outside the pub and as I know you to be an expert on old automobiles and as well as that I should imagine the photos were all taken on the same day; so I think we can safely say that you can date the photo to within a month or two.

Well the ball is now well and truly in your court my friend so what can you come up with?

R. S-S

NevClarke  
#114 Posted : 21 June 2011 22:26:14(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Discovered in a school archive this picture of Bugsworth station circa 1969.  If anyone can work out an exact date feel free.

NevClarke attached the following image(s):
Buxworth 001.jpg

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
peter  
#115 Posted : 22 June 2011 21:18:35(UTC)
peter

I am looking for  photographs or plans of the small ticket office that was attached or part of the waiting room on the Manchester bound platform at Whaley station,, I would be grateful for any help

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#116 Posted : 30 June 2011 13:25:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good afternoon to you Buggyite,

You have been described on this forum in various guises from a thug to a gangster’s moll and a railway expert.

Personally I favour the railway expert.

So here we have a photograph to test your powers on railway matters. Where is this taken?

If I have to wait as long for your answer to this as I have for the Youth Hostel in Bugsworth I may as well start feeding the chickens for Christmas.

R. S-S

Well Known Norm,

Would you kindly capture this and put it on below as usual?

Thank you.

buggyite  
#117 Posted : 30 June 2011 15:03:06(UTC)
buggyite

Man

That's at the far end of Shallcross goods, at the foot of Shallcross incline.

As the cable is plainly visible in the foreground, this photograph will have been taken before 1892 when the Shallcross-Ladmanlow section of the Cromford & High Peak railway was abandoned. An interesting assortment of workmen on it, apart from the horse men, there will be the weighbridge man, and others associated with attaching and detaching wagons from the cable for movements down or up the incline.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#118 Posted : 30 June 2011 16:44:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

As usual, very well done Buggyite,

I am glad you informed readers of the year the photo was taken.

Can you imagine the fuss if it was today with eleven workers sat about apparently doing nothing? And we’re not talking the Whaley Eleven here. Oh no these are paid men who know what is expected of them and who turned out every day.

If it was today and Mr. Cameron saw it in the Mail or Sun I think he would make it mightily uncomfortable for our local boy made good Mr. A. Bingham.
To have this sort of behaviour on his patch – well he might as well not bother with his next expense claim.

R. S-S
Norm  
#119 Posted : 30 June 2011 17:51:50(UTC)
Norm

Man

Here is the piccy from #117, saved in case R.S-S's dodgy photo depository deletes it!

shallcross.jpg
shallcross  
#120 Posted : 30 June 2011 20:38:09(UTC)
shallcross

RSS

I believe Alan Dranfields Grandfather is one of those pictured.

Shallcross