logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Over the hill but not far away  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2009 22:54:46(UTC)

Groups: Member

OK

I bet some have dreaded this subject coming up .

But - tomorrow, I'm going to the opera House to see Hawkwind-and some one , who is not now with us was invited and wll be missed.

There has been no mention on the revamped forum of local gigs, which although that will be welcome for some, are an important part of the Whaley social scene.

So I propose that all that posted gigs on the old forum , now get involved (and that includes you Mr Pharmacist)-less those that make derogatory comments about amphibians and those that just wish to trade insults.

Cheers

Edited by user 28 May 2009 13:15:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lord cornflake  
#2 Posted : 28 May 2009 19:47:42(UTC)
lord cornflake

I  agree come on kids its 2009,for those who are about to rock we salute you.

tyke  
#3 Posted : 29 May 2009 07:46:57(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ok here goes......... Does anybody know of any good local bands doing any performances in the near future? Now on the old forum. I would now have to retire to my air-raid shelter! By the way Mr OTHBNFA How was the space rockers gig in Buxton?
#4 Posted : 02 June 2009 22:50:05(UTC)

Hi all

Furness Field Day this Saturday PM

Well worth a visit-last year it clashed with Buxton Carnival so hopefully will be better attended.

Four bands on:

Spark-acoustic duo from Oldham

The PJ factory-Messr's Dunn. Baker and Co's Punk, Indie and lots of Guitars-(easy on the punk)

Knuckleheads- 3 piece country rock n roll

The quiet ones-young indie, who will probably steal the show

Very family friendly, reasonably priced burgers which last year were from our very own Mr Wild and canned beer and wine on offer at very reasonable prices-dont bring your own-support the fund-which is in aid of developing the playing field for all of the community.  A Great chance for families to go out together and ALL have a good time not like when I was a kid and sat outside the pub with a lemonade and a bag of crisps

See you all there-Oh and it has a train station,a bus stop and is even within walking distance of the D and P

Cheers

See Y'all

Edited by user 03 June 2009 18:11:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Radar  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2009 09:40:31(UTC)
Radar

Last year I was able to enjoy the Furness Field Day without leaving Whaley.

The bands were so loud, I remember listening to a particularly good redition of "Teenage Kicks" whilst sitting in the garden!

Thinking about it, I was able to hear the music just as clearly as that unwelcome racket coming from Whaley Cricket Club last weekend.

tyke  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2009 09:54:03(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Will probably call at the furness field day on sat weather permitting! Perhaps some of the former music pundits from the old forum will be there, not all were abusive/offensive, so come on where are you bite the bullet and lets hear from you with some (constructive) input positive or not. Perhaps a review afterwards?
lord cornflake  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2009 09:08:55(UTC)
lord cornflake

Last year the bands were Deadline,Ged Hill,Missing Person and Turtle Zed.im not sure if Missing Person are still gigging,i know Deadline are.Turtle Zed were the ones playing Teenage kicks and i believe they are currently working on a new set list and should be back later in the year.

Web Watcher  
#8 Posted : 06 June 2009 06:02:23(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm glad someone else was not particularly happy about the noise from the cricket club. I was away until Saturday night but on Sunday it was so loud I felt like the chap was next to me and shouling down my ear.

I had to endure the names of the bolwer and a comment on every shot played - I really didn't need to be there! "Don't be tempted to bring your own beer as it's really cheap here!" was another phrase used regularly and then there was a whole load of other comments about the food on offer.

Here I am moaning even thought I suspect it only happens just one weekend a year but it really was incredibly loud. But it's over now so I should let it drop
#9 Posted : 06 June 2009 08:29:58(UTC)

Its only a bit of rain!-dress code now changed for Furness!  Its even more important to support it now. Some, shelter is provided so be there .....etc

Cheers

tyke  
#10 Posted : 06 June 2009 08:32:28(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

The rain might clear by the afternoon
Nigel  
#11 Posted : 06 June 2009 13:21:05(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good afternoon Web Watcher.

Regarding the noise from the cricket ground last Sunday, I presume you live in the jam butty region of the village. Strangely, I was on Old Road and couldn't hear anything from the ground, however I had reason to go to Meadowfield and like you say up there it felt as though the “chap was next to me shouting down my ear”. I can only assume it was the way they had the speaker system set up.

I can confirm the Cricket Club Pub Six a Side is annual event and you won't have to tolerate the “noise” for another 12 months. The last thing you should want to do is criticize Whaley Bridge Cricket Club who provide an excellent facility particularly for the youngsters of the village and have done so for more than 100 years, long before both you and I knew where Whaley Bridge was.

Jean  
#12 Posted : 06 June 2009 14:04:30(UTC)
Jean

For information.

Regarding this afternoons Furness Field (or is it Fun) Day, an addition to the banner on the railings outside the White Hart says that it is now being held in Furness Club, so it doesn't matter whether the weather permits or not!

Whaley Wanderer  
#13 Posted : 06 June 2009 19:10:35(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

Nigel wrote:

Good afternoon Web Watcher.

Regarding the noise from the cricket ground last Sunday, I presume you live in the jam butty region of the village. Strangely, I was on Old Road and couldn't hear anything from the ground, however I had reason to go to Meadowfield and like you say up there it felt as though the “chap was next to me shouting down my ear”. I can only assume it was the way they had the speaker system set up.

I can confirm the Cricket Club Pub Six a Side is annual event and you won't have to tolerate the “noise” for another 12 months. The last thing you should want to do is criticize Whaley Bridge Cricket Club who provide an excellent facility particularly for the youngsters of the village and have done so for more than 100 years, long before both you and I knew where Whaley Bridge was.

I'm sure the cricket club do many fine things, but that's no excuse for even  1 weekend of noise each year.   If it was disrupting my weekend in the garden at the top of Whaley Lane, then it must have been unecessarily loud at the cricket ground.  Maybe next year they can look at getting their speaker system set up a little more appropiately, they can still have their fun without such volume.

lord cornflake  
#14 Posted : 06 June 2009 19:36:51(UTC)
lord cornflake

Web watcher and Whaley wanderer instead of coming on here complaining,why didnt you go and support the event.People on here are always moaning about the lack of community spirit in whaley.I was there myself actually playing cricket for one of our local hostelrys.The thing is you need to actually go in the pubs to be able to get on the teams,so i will see you on christmas day,carnival day,bonfire night. etc etc etc.

Web Watcher  
#15 Posted : 06 June 2009 20:43:15(UTC)
Web Watcher

I'm not going to get into an arguement with you as I know that is what you want BUT - cricket - been there done that, chapter closed!  Supporting the village by drinking in the pubs - each to their own; I do go in the pubs from time to time but support the local shops every which way that I can even though I end up out of pocket as a result.

Before you make assumptions consider the facts involved

Edited by user 06 June 2009 20:47:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lord cornflake  
#16 Posted : 07 June 2009 00:33:18(UTC)
lord cornflake

As Victor Meldrew said who was also a grumpy man "i dont believe it"

Web Watcher  
#17 Posted : 07 June 2009 13:45:27(UTC)
Web Watcher

I was unable to attend the event at Furness as I had a prior engagement, could anyone enlighten me as to how it went? Thank you in anticipation

tyke  
#18 Posted : 08 June 2009 07:52:41(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

I did pop in the Furness Field event - relocated to Furness club due to the weather. I didn't stay that long, it did seem a little quiet to me but again probably the weather caused this. There was a bouncy castle, face painting, a barbecue, Whaley fire engine and of course love em or hate em the bands playing. I'm sure that most of those who went enjoyed what there was on the day.