logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#61 Posted : 02 December 2010 08:39:55(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

We now come to the last funeral of the last person to die at the gunpowder mills.

Most Whaley folk or readers of this forum will notice many familiar names within this next report.

R. S-S

Ashton Reporter

4 September 1909

FUNERAL of Mr P. SOUTHERN
                                       of WHALEY

many people at the ceremony

The funeral of the late Mr Percy Southern, of Whaley Bridge, the third victim of the Fernilee gunpowder explosion, took place on Friday afternoon at the Fernilee Wesleyan Burial Ground.    As in the case of the two previous funerals, the greatest respect and sympathy were shown, the blinds at all the cottages being drawn, and the tradesmens’ shutters half closed.
          The obsequies were impressively conducted by the Rev. J. Bonsall, Wesleyan minister, of Chapel-en-le-Frith, there being a large congregation in the chapel.
          There were also present a large number of employees of the Chilworth Gunpowder Co., including the following officials: Messrs J. Ashby, J.T. Mellor, A. Shaw, D. Sherwood, R.D. James, G. Macbean, G. Vaughan and J. Roberts.    Deceased was a member of the Whaley Bridge Ambulance Division, which was represented by eleven members of the corps under Sup. S. Bagshaw.    The Whaley Bridge Wesleyan Sunday School was represented by Messrs E. Ashby, R. Fergie and A.H. Burgess (superintendents), the “Rock” Division of the Sons of Temperance by Bro. A. Weate, G.W.P., and J.W. Lomas P.G.W.P., the Whaley Bridge Cricket Club by Mr Harold Collier (secretary) and the Whaley Bridge Post Office (deceased being the firm’s private postman) by Mr W. Scholes.    Mr Gosselin-Grimshaw, of Errwood Hall, Mr T. Shuker and Mrs John Lowe attended.
          The bearers were Corporal H. Allen, Privates J. Lomas, W. Lamb and R. Clayton of the Ambulance Brigade, and Messrs H. Morten junr., F. Wharmby, W. Harrop and O. Goddard of the Wesleyan Sunday School.
          The mourners were:- Mr and Mrs J.W. Southern (father and mother), Mrs S. Jodrell and Miss E. Southern (sisters), Messrs Joseph and Ernest Southern (brothers), Miss Neate (fiancée), Mr and Mrs G. Jones, Buxton (uncle and aunt), Mr S. Goddard (uncle), Mr T. Goddard (cousin), Mrs Jos Southern (sister-in-law), Mr S. Jodrell (brother-in-law), Mrs J. Jodrell, Mrs R. Goddard, Mrs Morris, Mrs Chas Bagshaw, Mrs Hill, Mr Fred Brookes, Miss E. Corrigan, Miss J. Corrigan, Mr M. Heary, Mr J. Barnes and Mr James Southern.
          There were many floral tributes, including the following:- From Father, Mother, Ernest, Eliza, Polly, Stephen, Mary, Jos and Hester “In affectionate remembrance of our dear Percy;” Uncle Sam and Family, Aunt Eliza and Uncle George, Elsie; from his companions, F. Brookes, F. Wharmby, W. Harrop, F. Collier, A. Morten and H. Morten, his Cousins at Buxton, Officers and teachers of the Whaley Bridge Wesleyan Sunday School, the Chilworth Gunpowder Co., Mr E. Kraftmeir (managing director), Mr Cox (manager of the works) and Mrs Cox, Mrs Gosselin-Grimshaw and Mrs Preston, Mr and Mrs Preston, Mr and Mrs Rowley (Fernilee), Mr J. and Mrs Corrigan and Family, Mr & Mrs Herbert Burgess, Mr and Mrs Allan Heather and Family, the Post Office staff at Whaley Bridge, the Servants at Fernilee Hall, the Staff at the Fernilee Mills, artificial wreath under glass globe, Mr G.W. Little, Park House, Whaley Bridge Ambulance Division, Whaley Bridge Cricket Club, 2nd eleven, Mr T. Redfern, May and Will Neate, Mr and Mrs F. Jowle, Mr and Mrs Mellor, Mr and Mrs W. Jodrell, Lizzie, Frank and Clement Morris.
          The superintendents of the Wesleyan Sunday School conducted a short service at the house, and at the graveside Bugler Haughty sounded the “Last Post”, the scene being most impressive and moving many to tears, as they thought of the many good qualities of the young man who had been laid in an untimely grave.
          Messrs Collier Bros., who had charge of the previous two funerals, conducted this one also.

MEMORIAL SERVICE

A special service in memory of the late Mr Percy Southern was held at Fernilee on Sunday afternoon.    A procession was formed at Whaley Bridge comprising members of the “Rock” Division of the Sons of Temperance, the employees of the Chilworth Gunpowder Co., the scholars of the Whaley Bridge Wesleyan Sunday School and the Whaley Bridge Ambulance Brigade.    The procession was headed by the Whaley Bridge Public Band playing hymn tunes.    There was a great crowd of people at Fernilee, and it was quite impossible to accommodate them in the Wesleyan Chapel.    The service was accordingly held in the burial ground adjoining at which it was estimated there were 700 people present.    Many other stood on the road and it is stated there must have been at least a thousand people there, the most numerous congregation there has ever been at Fernilee.    The preacher was Mr E.E. Daish, of Whaley Bridge, who made touching reference to the sad calamity and the deceased young man’s useful life.    Hymns of an appropriate character were sung, and Mr Shuker ably presided at the organ.    Miss Wainwright sang a solo very sweetly.    The service was of a most impressive character.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#62 Posted : 09 December 2010 18:25:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello,

This is an article I found on the internet under Chapel news.

There is no date on it but if we assume that Mrs Raven gave birth to George when she was 25 (just a guess) and George was 26 when he was killed then we can work out that when George was killed in 1909 then Mrs Raven would be 51.
She lived to be 71 so she died about 20 years after George. So I assume that the funeral was in about 1929.

I have records of all the baptisms at Fernilee but, alas, I have lost the deaths.

Now our dear friend Gnatalee is good at sorting these things out so it’s over to you girl.

R. S-S

DEATH OF MRS RAVEN (no date)
An old and esteemed resident of Fernilee passed away on Tuesday morning in the person of Mrs. Raven, widow of Mr. J. Raven.  Aged 71, Mrs. Raven had been in poor health for some time.  She was particularly well known in the hamlet where she had a small shop and made teas.  Her maiden name was Lomas and she spent all her long working life in this district.   Mrs. Raven was associated with the Wesleyan Chapel in Fernilee.  She leaves a son and daughter.  One of her sons was killed in an explosion at Fernilee Gunpowder Mills.  The funeral takes place to-morrow (Saturday) at Fernilee Wesleyan Chapel.
FUNERAL OF MRS RAVEN (no date)
The funeral took place on Saturday at Fernilee Wesleyan burial ground of the late Mrs. Raven of Fernilee, whose death has been noticed.  Rev. A.C. Baker, superintendent minister, officiated.  Mourners were: Mr. and Mrs. J. Raven (son and daughter-in-law), Mr. and Mrs. H. Southern (daughter and son-in-law), Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Nadin (sister and brother-in-law),  Mrs. Deacan,  Mrs. Bleakley, Miss M. Raven, Master J. Raven (grandchildren, Mrs. Collier, Mrs. J. Horsfield, Mr. Horsfield, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Boothby, Mr. and Mrs. J. Lomas, Mr. and Mrs. West, Mrs. Powell.  Bearers were Messrs. J. Lomas, W. Nadin, J. Horsfield, J. Salt.  There were floral tributes from: Jim and Sophia; Maggie and Harry; sister Lizzie and family; all the grandchildren; sister Hannah Mary and nephews and nieces; Lily, Mary, Osmond and Allan; sister Annie, Jim and Florrie; Hannah, Jim and family; brother Jim, Mary and family; all at Goyt Vale; Cissie, Allan and family; all at Folds Farm; Jack, Martha and children; Mrs. Lupton and Annie; society of Fernilee Wesleyan Chapel; Mr. and Mrs F. Bagshaw, George and Fred; Mr. and Mrs. Jodrell and Vera; Mr. and Mrs. Hill; niece and nephew (Mary and Fred); David and Annie (nephew and niece); Jim and Jessie. – Messrs. Collier Bros. satisfactorily carried out the funeral arrangements. 

Fedup  
#63 Posted : 09 December 2010 18:41:58(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Poor Mrs Raven, but at least her death was noticed!

Edited by user 09 December 2010 18:42:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#64 Posted : 19 March 2011 15:13:38(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I have bumped this for no great reason except I want to access it and I don't want to keep looking for it.

Robert will be pleased that I am going to put this on the website.

Norm

Norm  
#65 Posted : 05 April 2011 18:40:58(UTC)
Norm

Man

This thread, with the Powder Mills thread, is now on the website. R.S-S has promised me a few more photographs for it.

It takes some reading, but I hope you like how it is set out.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#66 Posted : 09 April 2011 13:24:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Excellent stuff, Well Known Norm,

Certainly no one could have bettered this effort. Congratulations.

I shall put some photos on later for you.

R. S-S
umtali  
#67 Posted : 10 April 2011 08:34:19(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Excellent stuff, Well Known Norm,

Certainly no one could have bettered this effort. Congratulations.

R. S-S

Absolutely I agree – selfless Heroic work Norm.

Don’t even think about the “Dr Allen Saga” or the “Smudging” tripe, (Wrong group I know but just in case)... it’s just too far beyond the call of duty, take a well earned break.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#68 Posted : 18 April 2011 14:27:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The ruins of the Chilworth Powder Mills, now resting beneath the waters of Fernilee reservoir.

I am not sure if the blast walls were ever demolished or not. They certainly would be today with modern equipment but in the 1930’ they may have just left them.

Perhaps Shallcross has more information.

R. S-S

Norm  
#69 Posted : 23 April 2011 11:01:49(UTC)
Norm

Man

This photograph is now on the website, Robert.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#70 Posted : 26 April 2011 17:58:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Another photo of the Chilworth Fire Brigade.

Adnepos  
#71 Posted : 02 July 2011 00:56:08(UTC)
Adnepos

Hello,

This is an article I found on the internet under Chapel news.

There is no date on it but if we assume that Mrs Raven gave birth to George when she was 25 (just a guess) and George was 26 when he was killed then we can work out that when George was killed in 1909 then Mrs Raven would be 51.
She lived to be 71 so she died about 20 years after George. So I assume that the funeral was in about 1929.

I have records of all the baptisms at Fernilee but, alas, I have lost the deaths.

Now our dear friend Gnatalee is good at sorting these things out so it’s over to you girl.

R. S-S 

Mrs Raven was a great aunt of mine. She died 20 Jan 1931

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#72 Posted : 02 July 2011 14:01:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you very much for that information Adnepos and welcome to the forum.

So her son George Raven would be your first cousin once removed; whatever that means.

Adnepos you wouldn’t happen to have any photos of Mrs. Raven or her family would you?

R. S-S
Adnepos  
#73 Posted : 02 July 2011 22:07:00(UTC)
Adnepos

Thank you very much for that information Adnepos and welcome to the forum.

So her son George Raven would be your first cousin once removed; whatever that means.

Adnepos you wouldn’t happen to have any photos of Mrs. Raven or her family would you?

R. S-S

I was simplifying my relationship... George was my first cousin twice removed. I might unbeknown have a picture of Mrs Raven. I have several photos of folk from Fernilee that I don't recognise. I'll post ones that might include her when I get home. I definitely have some pictures of her eldest sister, my great grandmother, Elizabeth Potter LOMAS.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#74 Posted : 03 July 2011 10:06:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you Adnepos,

Surely this is what this forum is all about. This is very fine information.

Incidentally Adnepos further back in the thread is a photo of George Raven.

As well as this if you look further through the historical threads you will come across one started by Jaynie (she came and went very quickly) and she was the reason I started this current thread.

Jaynie said that her great, great uncle George was killed at the powder works.

She also said that Mary Lomas-Raven from Fernilee was her grandma.

You will possibly know her.

R. S-S

gritch  
#75 Posted : 03 July 2011 19:13:27(UTC)
gritch

Hi, stumbled on this forum a few days ago and have found it to be very interesting as well as entertaining!
I thought the a short  film of workers for Stockport corporation in Goyt Valley deserved a mention.
A visit to this site: movinghistory.ac.uk/archives/nw/films/nw6goyt.html   [http://www. in front]
The film runs for approx. 60secs. It's seems more like an advert for some tobacco company (!) but still nice to see a 'local movie' from
back in the 30's
Apologies if you have all seen it before. Hope I have posted in the right place.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#76 Posted : 04 July 2011 11:02:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gritch and welcome,

I have never seen that film before but I have got some still photos of that train.

The written description says there is a lot more to the film than is actually shown in the 1 minute clip so hopefully there is more out there somewhere.

Within the film description are the following words:

“The film also includes footage of the inauguration of the Water Works on 25 February 1932.”

The word inauguration is somewhat confusing as it can mean the start of a project or the opening of a project on completion.

The inauguration of the Goyt Valley Supply by The Right Worshipful the Mayor of Stockport – Alderman George Padmore, JP took place on Thursday June 10th, 1937.

It was officially known as the Goyt Valley Scheme although the valley was known as the Dale of Goyt.

The name of the river is derived from the old English word “Geotan” meaning to pour.

R. S-S
shallcross  
#77 Posted : 04 July 2011 18:02:11(UTC)
shallcross

This is a photo of firing the first shot Fernilee Reservoir 25th February 1932,  Left Alderman G Ball Vice Chair (Stockport Waterworks Company) Centre Councillor James Penny JP Mayor and Right Alderman G Padmore Chairman, The first shot was fired in the central trench of the Dam.

RSS I was saving these images until you started the Construction Thread, Ill leave that with you

File Attachment(s):
IMG.jpg (898kb) downloaded 66 time(s).
Shallcross
Adnepos  
#78 Posted : 05 July 2011 18:54:45(UTC)
Adnepos

Thank you Adnepos,

Surely this is what this forum is all about. This is very fine information.

Incidentally Adnepos further back in the thread is a photo of George Raven.

As well as this if you look further through the historical threads you will come across one started by Jaynie (she came and went very quickly) and she was the reason I started this current thread.

Jaynie said that her great, great uncle George was killed at the powder works.

She also said that Mary Lomas-Raven from Fernilee was her grandma.

You will possibly know her.

R. S-S

I haven't come across Jaynie but would be pleased to share information with her/him

I have posted an old photo on the Village Hall thread, hoping others may recognise people in it, confirm that it was taken in front of the Village Hall

gritch  
#79 Posted : 05 July 2011 22:55:32(UTC)
gritch

The written description says there is a lot more to the film than is actually shown in the 1 minute clip so hopefully there is more out there somewhere.

Within the film description are the following words:

“The film also includes footage of the inauguration of the Water Works on 25 February 1932.”

The word inauguration is somewhat confusing as it can mean the start of a project or the opening of a project on completion.

The inauguration of the Goyt Valley Supply by The Right Worshipful the Mayor of Stockport – Alderman George Padmore, JP took place on Thursday June 10th, 1937.

R. S-S

Have delved deeper into the 'film' site and found that the film actually runs for almost 17 minutes ...........

Additional information is found by clicking on ' contact the archive' link on original website. This then gave access to  another site in order to search the catalogue..

GOYT VALLEY SCENES WHICH WILL BE SUBMERGED
BY THE STOCKPORT CORPORATION'S WATER SCHEME
 Producer: Preston Brothers  *1928/31-33
  b/w, silent, 16 min.47 sec.
The inauguration of Stockport Corporation's water work scheme in the Goyt Valley,
on February 25th 1932. Alderman G. Padmore and the Mayor, councillor G. Penny, attend the opening ceremony. Excavation work takes place to prepare the valley for submergence. Includes footage of steam cranes, light railways and men working on the site. [The preservation of this film was funded by a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund.]

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#80 Posted : 07 July 2011 14:36:36(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

There are 2 films about Fernilee Reservoir, both silent and both in black and white:

Film 1.

*1928/31-33

b/w, silent, 16 min.47 sec.

The inauguration of Stockport Corporation's water work scheme in the Goyt Valley, on February 25th 1932. Alderman G. Padmore and the Mayor, councillor G. Penny, attend the opening ceremony. Excavation work takes place to prepare the valley for submergence. Includes footage of steam cranes, light railways and men working on the site.

Film 2.

*1936/37

b/w, mute/silent, 10 min.18 sec.

The opening of the Goyt Valley Filtration Plant by the Mayor of Stockport, Alderman George Padmore JP - flowers are presented to the Lady Mayoress; the Mayor starts up the filtration plant - shots of moving pistons and gauges; the Mayor and Mayoress lead a walk over the reservoir footbridge and along the footpaths.

I’ll try to get Well Known Norm on the case so that with his superior knowledge of computers he can put both films on the forum.
I shall ring that man tonight.

R. S-S