logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#21 Posted : 09 August 2011 16:43:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Gail,

Just for your records, and I hope Shallcross can confirm this, I think the last people to farm at Intake were the Weir family.
This was before the farm was purchased by the Water Board prior to the construction of Fernilee Reservoir.
Of course, the valley has changed in the ensuing years and in the 1920’s there were no fir or spruce trees as there are now. So farming was a way of making a living.
Mr Weir ploughed some of the land and grew potatoes which he bagged and carried down to the Shady Oak to sell. He carried a half cwt bag under each arm and was said to be as strong as a bull.

Actually if I’d have been him I would probably have bought a bull to carry the potatoes for me; still everybody’s different I suppose.

R. S-S
gritch  
#22 Posted : 09 August 2011 18:59:50(UTC)
gritch

Thanks for that R.S-S.  These are my found occupiers of Intake Farm

1836-51 occupier: Stephen Wilson 1851 occupier: Stephen Wilson [died 1860]  1861 occupier: Peter Wain 1871 occupier: Peter Wain 1881 occupier: Peter Wain [died1885] 1891 occupier: James Critchlow  1901 occupier: James Critchlow 1911 occupier: James Critchlow [Emigrated1912] and from Kelly’s Directory 1914  Possibly the last occupier:  Colin Wardman  [?died 1946] 

so perhaps Colin Wardman didn't farm it for long and  Mr Weir then took over the farm??  

'He carried a half cwt bag under each arm and was said to be as strong as a bull.' Sounds like a man to have on your side in any trouble

Any info on Castedge?

G.

ps. info. found on the 'net ....'There was a large farm here too which had its own small cottage'. James' occupation in 1911 was 'farm labourer'...presumably he worked for the farm and  lived in the 'tied' cottage??

Edited by user 09 August 2011 21:02:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#23 Posted : 09 August 2011 21:58:40(UTC)
shallcross

Gail

Here is a picture of Castedge farm

you can still see the ruins of the farm and some of the walls, it is above Errwood Hall and below the cemetary.

RSS as for the Weir family I have not heard this but sounds intriguing, must have been a giant of a man, on the subject of Albert Warren it got quite a lot of coverage at the time as everything went by train from Whaley the water board bought the land at Fernilee Hall Farm but as it was down stream of the dam  it survived which is why the advert trying to let it

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Castedge farm.jpg
Shallcross
gritch  
#24 Posted : 10 August 2011 00:04:43(UTC)
gritch

Thanks for the photo of Castedge, Shallcross.There was an H. Weir who was one of the many bearers at the funeral of Helier Gosselin 31st March 1924. Presumably the same person R.S-S is talking about? Albert Warren is listed as being one as well, though by the sounds of it Mr Weir could have done the job by himself !!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#25 Posted : 11 August 2011 14:50:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

High Peak News

12 April 1924

Whaley Bridge.                      Obituary.

death of mr h. gosselin

A Member of a Famous Family

The sudden death on Monday, last week, of Mr Hellier Robert Hadsley Gosselin, at Errwood Hall, caused deep regret not only among the people in the district, where he was very much beloved and respected, but also at Hertford, where he had taken a keen interest in local affairs.
Mr Gosselin was born at the Priory, Ware, in 1849, and was one of the four sons of the late Mr and Mrs Martin Gosselin, Mrs Gosselin before her marriage being Miss Frances Marshall.    Both his grandfathers were admirals.    When a young man he inherited Bengor Hall, Hertford, from an aunt, and in 1902 he married Miss Mary Grimshaw, of Errwood Hall, Buxton.    He took a great interest in Hertford, and was Mayor of that town in 1897-98, and again in the years 1917, 1918 and 1919.    Mr Gosselin was also Sheriff of the County of Hertfordshire in 1906, and presiding magistrate of Hertford for some years.
Mr Gosselin had travelled very extensively on the Continent and had paid visits to Iceland.    He was a great student of the Norse people and language, and was a member of the Royal Archaeological Society for very many years, his knowledge of the Norse language being exceptional.    He was a accomplished linguist, and could speak French and Spanish.    In politics he was a pronounced Conservative and worked hard for the cause, taking a great interest in the Hertford branch.
Of four brothers there now only survives one, Mr Gerard Gosselin.    His eldest brother, Sir Martin Gosselin, was in the Diplomatic Service, and died at Lisbon in 1906 while British Ambassador there.    Mr Bertram Gosselin was in the army, but died before the war.    Of the two sisters there is also one surviving, Miss Geraldine Gosselin, who has resided in Switzerland for very many years.
The funeral took place on Thursday in the private cemetery at Errwood Hall, a service first of all being held in the private chapel at the Hall.    The faithful and devoted friend of the family, the steward, Mr G. Oyarzabal, and his son, Mr J. Oyarzabal, carried out all the arrangements in the chapel at Errwood Hall, and in the cemetery and vault.    The Bishop of Shrewsbury, Dr Singleton, conducted the service, and Father George Naylor, O.P., preached an eloquent sermon in which he spoke of the charming disposition and character of the deceased, which had endeared him to all who came in contact with him.    There were also present Canon Kind, Buxton: Canon Roach, St. Joseph’s, Stockport; Father Byrne, Stockport; Father O’Reilly, Whaley Bridge; Canon Hugh Welch, Altrincham, and many other priests.
The chief mourners were: Mrs H. Gosselin, widow; Lady Gerard, Blakesware, Herts, Mrs Medlicott, Wilts, and Mrs Smythe-Osbourne, London, nieces; Hon. Mrs Preston, sister in law, Miss Preston, Erwood Hall; Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell, Taxal Lodge, Whaley Bridge; Dr W. Shipton, Buxton; Mr Bury, Buxton; Dr Stephenson, Whaley Bridge; Lady Gosselin, sister in law; Major Turner and Mrs Hubbersty were unable to be present.
Wreaths were received from the following:- Mrs Gosselin, widow; Lady Gerard, niece; Mrs Medlicott,, niece; Mrs Smythe-Osbourne, niece; Lady Gosselin, sister in law; Mr Gerard Gosselin, brother; Hon. Mrs Preston and Miss Preston; Dr Arthur Shipton; Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell; Mrs Hubbersty; tenants on the estate, Errwood Hall; servants, indoors and out, Errwood Hall; tenants and servants at Bengor Hall, Hertford; Mr and Mrs J.P. Munster and daughter, London.
The bearers were all from the Errwood Hall Estate, as follows: Messrs A. Warren, J. Clayton, H. Weir, B. Hibbert, J. Hibbert, J. Rock, E. Trueman, J. Hewitt, T. Jenkinson, J. Cottrill.
the arrangements were carried out by Mr Peter Bennett, Torr Street, Buxton.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#26 Posted : 12 August 2011 14:39:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Wreaths were received from the following:- Mrs Gosselin, widow; Lady Gerard, niece; Mrs Medlicott,, niece; Mrs Smythe-Osbourne, niece; Lady Gosselin, sister in law; Mr Gerard Gosselin, brother; Hon. Mrs Preston and Miss Preston; Dr Arthur Shipton; Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell; Mrs Hubbersty; tenants on the estate, Errwood Hall; servants, indoors and out, Errwood Hall; tenants and servants at Bengor Hall, Hertford; Mr and Mrs J.P. Munster and daughter, London.

Well it was very nice to see the Munsters turned up.

R. S-S
JonG  
#27 Posted : 12 August 2011 22:26:11(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

'London' does seem a very odd name for a girl ?

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Gnatalee  
#28 Posted : 12 August 2011 22:38:59(UTC)
Gnatalee

Jon

Perhaps they were the Beckhams of their day, ie exchange Brooklyn for London? So much for punctuation.

Gnats

Edited by user 12 August 2011 22:40:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#29 Posted : 27 August 2011 21:37:15(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Gritch,

Although it is quite some time before the dates that you mentioned, you may be interested that deeds relating to the farm from 1626 to 1733 are in the Jodrell family papers held in the John Ryland Library in Manchester ( JOD/135a-u ).

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=133-jod&cid=1-18#1-18

Sorry I have not yet managed to post the photographs I promised.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
gritch  
#30 Posted : 27 August 2011 22:56:54(UTC)
gritch

Many thanks for that RockBanker.

I don't think I shall follow up the link you provided as the family connection only lasted  from about 1885 through to 1912. but I appreciate your interest. What it does confirm though, is what I had been told about Intake Farm existing from around the 17th century. It became part of Samuel Grimshaw's estate and from the tithe maps of Cheshire it was about 44 acres (give or take a rood and a perch !!) in size.

One question that springs to mind as I'm typing ... the daughter of my family was born at Intake in 1896 so am I right in assuming she would have gone to the school at Errwood?

thanks again, Gail

Edited by user 28 August 2011 09:24:47(UTC)  | Reason: corrected y.o.b.

Adnepos  
#31 Posted : 10 September 2011 22:18:15(UTC)
Adnepos

gritch wrote:
Some of my other half's family farmed at Intake Farm, Goyt Valley from census 1891 until 1912 when they upped sticks and emigrated to Canada. I was wondering if anyone might know where I might find a picture or photo of this farm. I  roughly know its location -on the west side of Fernilee reservoir (sorry - I believe it should be Errwood reservoir) but I would like to be more sure. If anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful.

Take a look at photo 5/12 at http://goyt-valley.org.uk/photos/goyt-views/ 

From checking maps, I think the building in the right foreground is Stubbin but there's a chance it's Intake. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable can help out

gritch  
#32 Posted : 15 September 2011 09:58:44(UTC)
gritch

Thanks for the link Adnepos - great photo. Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. I was under the impression Intake was a white-washed building and thought  someone might have been able to confirm whether it was Stubbins or Intake. Never mind...one lives in hope.

shallcross  
#33 Posted : 30 October 2011 21:53:17(UTC)
shallcross

Gritch

Whilst looking through some old notes I collected a while ago I came across some copies of letters sent to Gerald Hancock when he was researching his books on Goyt Valley, they were written to him by the daughter & grand daughter of James Critchlow of Intake Farm I think that as they were only written in 2001 I maybe should not publish them on this forum but if you contact John he will give you my e mail address and I will forward them on to you if wish, you may already have knowledege of them I dont know but they are interesting family reading concerning emmigration to Canada and the time spent at Intake etc.

As for Intake Farm many of the Old buildings in the valley were Whitewashed Stubbins, Masters and Fernilee Hall Farm certainly were, although I remember the old Fernilee Hall Farm house and it was not white in my memory, the cottage known locally as The White House next to The Shady Oak I can never recall been White so things change, as far as I can tell Intake had two buildings forming an L shape  one of which was whitewashed at some time.

Shallcross
gritch  
#34 Posted : 30 October 2011 22:48:31(UTC)
gritch

Thank you Shallcross, for that information. I hadn't known about the letters written to Gerald Hancock. I would love to see them so I'll get in touch with John and tell him to let you have my email address so that you can send them to me as and when.

thanks again

Gail

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#35 Posted : 31 December 2011 13:44:36(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Dear Gail,

I have found some information out about the Critchlow family and Intake Farm. I also have found copies of the two letters mentioned earlier by Shallcross.
I don’t know if I should put any of this stuff on here but you have my email address so we can discuss it via that method.

In the meantime does Briar Cottage and a dog named Trink or Mrs Allsop mean anything to you?

R. S-S
gritch  
#36 Posted : 01 January 2012 16:20:53(UTC)
gritch

Firstly....Happy New Year!

R.S-S Thanks for the post above. Shallcross kindly sent me through the copies of the letters, which unfortunately have been 'lost' as we had problems with our pc and my other half has now completely rebuilt it. I have all my 'old ' files OK but anything that was saved in the fortnight or so prior to our having problems are somewhere lost in the ether! Also, I  cannot find your email address (sorry!!), or that of Shallcross, so if you would kindly email me at some point, I would be grateful.

Regarding Briar Cottage, I think this might be where son James and his family lived, but the 1911 census states he was a 'farm labourer' at 'The Castedge'  - I know Castedge Farm had a cottage, so was that Briar Cottage ? or am I jumping to conclusions here?? Trink was a well loved dog belonging to James. Mrs Allsop, I think (but am not quite sure) was related in some way via a second marriage, but don't take that as definite. The Critchlow's didn't, by all accounts, have the better life they'd dreamed of in Canada, and I have been told that Clara, [James snr 's  daughter] apparently was never told of the flooding of the valley, although how they managed to keep that from her I'm not sure. She would often reminisce about her childhood in the valley.

If you have further information that might be of interest to me........

regards Gail

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#37 Posted : 05 January 2012 18:29:56(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gail,

I have been distracted recently by a few problems but I will let you have all the information about your family sometime tomorrow.

I am sorry I have kept you waiting so long.

R. S-S