logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2009 17:31:42(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Yet another old photo of a football team.  The writing across the bottom of the photo refers to Whaley Bridge and I suspect it is possibly a Bingswood Printworks football team but, as you can see, there are pieces missing from the corners of the photo which isn't too helpful !

Any ideas anyone?

Gnats

File Attachment(s):
Very old football team.JPG (355kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
Fedup  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2009 18:39:50(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good evening to you Gnats. Yet another great photo!

They do look a surly lot, don't they, and who are the miniature figurines at the back? I'm afraid we will have to await the return of R.S-S to discover the truth. Unless, of course, Frankie has some answers?
Frankie  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2009 16:00:16(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Sorry Fedup & Gnats not a clue. Maybe RS.S will cast some light.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2009 11:18:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well Gnatalee,

You have done it yet again; I have never seen that photo or anything like it. It is superb though. I think it is a postcard rather than a photograph. Certainly it is too far back in time for even Gary Sparrow to be involved and due to its distress and unfortunate condition it rather gives the appearance of being taken inside a cave; in fact the men right at the back look like cave paintings. I’m sure they’re not.

Hey Gnat how many more photos have you got and on what subjects or topics are they. I am very interested to know; and I rather suspect you have some unique ones that the majority have never seen before. It is first class that you are sharing them with us.

Thank you,

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2009 23:15:01(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi R. S-S

Apologies - have been trying to reply all evening but unable to get onto the site - do you think there is a problem ?

Regarding the latest photo - the writing at the bottom of the photo in the middle is definitely "Whaley Bridge". To the right of the photo the writing says: "Roman Series ....." and on the left of the photo it appears ".....wood print ......" So, I have surmised it is a printworks team - rightly or wrongly.

I have been looking at the excellent Disley.net website which contains the diary of one John Warren http://www.disley.net/john_warren_diary1.html
It is very interseting reading and whereas I think I am living in "Dodge City", Whaley was, in those days, not much better !!
I recommend this site as a read which is extremely interesting - lots of Whaley names and also a description of life and times of that era.

I do have other photos, some of which are not to hand at the moment but are a work in progress! At the moment I am looking for the one (which I saw many years ago) of a football team and in the background is the goalpost and net, behind which is a little boy looking at at the photo being taken. My Grandfather is in the football team and the little boy is my Dad - apparently he cried because they wouldn't let him be in the photo ! (I think in his later years he definitely had the last laugh !)  Watch this space.

It is my pleasure and enjoyment to share these phots - it is our history, and the history of Whaley, which those who are interested should have access to.

Gnats

Edited by user 09 May 2009 23:21:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2009 07:45:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnats,

Anyone with even the slightest interest in Whaley Bridge and surrounding area should be very familiar with John Warren’s Diary. It is a must read for any historical enthusiast and was mentioned on the last forum.

Thank you for pointing it out to anyone who is unaware of it.

R.S-S
Fedup  
#7 Posted : 10 May 2009 15:59:51(UTC)
Fedup

I am just about to look at John Warren's Diary, but before I do, can I just say that I also, like Gnats, had problems getting onto the Forum last night, not for the first time I might add.
Frankie  
#8 Posted : 10 May 2009 17:04:03(UTC)
Frankie

Also had problems logging on to the Forum (Sat evening)

Frankie

Fedup  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2009 21:31:25(UTC)
Fedup

Had a look at the Diary - fascinating stuff! It was interesting to see that quite a few of the surnames still linger on - i.e. Morten (who won prizes for his dairy cow), Goddard, Cottrell and, of course, Jodrell. So many industrial accidents and deaths as well. We all have a laugh at our present day Health and Safety rules and regulations, but when you look at the many tragedies that occurred in those days, I suppose, grudgingly, you have to admit they do have some purpose.
MrTrueman  
#10 Posted : 10 May 2009 22:06:21(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Frankie wrote:

Also had problems logging on to the Forum (Sat evening)                                        

Yes there has been a problem with the Datacentre where the forum's server is held.  Hopefully it is resolved now but there may be a little fallout next week.

Regards,

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Edited by user 10 May 2009 23:29:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 11 May 2009 08:47:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Fedup,

Yes you are correct Adam Morten did have the touch when it came to his prize milkers. He wasn’t bad in his other professions either. He left England to go to America and ended up in California where he literally struck gold.

Some of his great wealth found its way back to Whaley Bridge in about 1990.

I used to know the whereabouts of the cup he won for his cow's exploits but I can’t remember this morning; maybe it will come to me later as I shake off the excesses of the weekend.

R. S-S

Fedup wrote:
Had a look at the Diary - fascinating stuff! It was interesting to see that quite a few of the surnames still linger on - i.e. Morten (who won prizes for his dairy cow), Goddard, Cottrell and, of course, Jodrell. So many industrial accidents and deaths as well. We all have a laugh at our present day Health and Safety rules and regulations, but when you look at the many tragedies that occurred in those days, I suppose, grudgingly, you have to admit they do have some purpose.

Fedup  
#12 Posted : 11 May 2009 19:45:17(UTC)
Fedup

Good eveing R.S-S.

In what way did some of Adam Morten's fortune come back to Whaley?

I look forward to hearing more about the cup, and any other snippets of information you have.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 12 May 2009 12:08:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Fedup,

Adam Morten, born 18th January 1870, climbed out of his bedroom window on Market Street in 1884 and headed off to the docks to board a ship to America. He was just 14 years old at the time.
He married in the late 1890’s a girl called Elizabeth Mullins and they had one child who died at birth. Elizabeth died in 1931 and Adam died in 1934 but before that he mined for gold in Nebraska an then California.
His nephew, also Adam, went to join him but first went to Canada and came back to fight in The Great War in France and Belgium. After the war he teamed up with his uncle Adam in California and inherited his wealth in 1934. This later Adam died in 1990 and his wealth was distributed to his many nephews etc around the world and he had nephews in Whaley Bridge who became beneficiaries but it is not fair for me to name any of them on here.

As for the silver cup won for the prize milking cow, that remains in Whaley Bridge to this day with one of Adam’s descendants and was on show a couple of years ago at the Methodist Church. There is a photo of it somewhere and if I get chance I’ll put it on here.

Have you got any gold, Fedup? And don’t come back with one of your witty ripostes about UK Gold on Sky TV.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#14 Posted : 12 May 2009 19:55:19(UTC)
Fedup

Thanks for that R.S-S. I thought from your original post that Adam Morten (the elder) had left his wealth to Whaley Bridge, for distribution to the poor and needy. I was going to apply.

Gold - well, I do have a gold filling in one of my teeth; does that count? I wish I hadn't posted that now; in these days of credit crunch, I might get mugged for my gold filling!

Oh dear, dear. Here I go again, being silly. There will be complaints again, I know it.
Jake  
#15 Posted : 13 May 2009 07:00:39(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Did your cat by any chance have gold fillings?

This may seem like a very silly question, and it is, like you I suspect somebody will complain.